Reader view

• How on earth do I get rid of the annoying left hand sidebar that has suddenly appeared on my reader?

I don’t wish to have my options up there all the time, I want to view new posts fully across my screen, not a reduced size.

Many thanks.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• And, while I am on here, I don’t wish to know how long YOU think it will take me to read something. I can work that out myself. Plus. Posts no longer open in a new window.

Seriously. Has WordPress fixed something else that wasn’t broken?

• To get Staff attention type modlook into the sidebar tags on this thread for Staff help. How do I get a Moderator/Staff reply for my question? https://en.support.wordpress.com/getting-help-in-the-forums/#how-do-i-get-a-moderatorstaff-reply-for-my-question Then please subscribe to it so you are notified when they respond. To subscribe look in the sidebar of this thread, find the subscribe to topics link and click it.

• Thanks TT, technically it’s not a sidebar on my iPad, but I think I’ve sussed it. I thought someone might have had a simple answer tbh and that I was just being extremely unaware of how to avoid some bizarre and unfriendly new presentation. Why am I not surprised …

• Thanks and, already read it. Seems my comment is in moderation … and has been for some time.

Sometimes, there are no answers.

• designsimply is answering these threads as well as moderating and responding to comments on the posts: Note: reader refresh

• How on earth do I get rid of the annoying left hand sidebar that has suddenly appeared on my reader?

I’m looking into this. To confirm, we’re talking portrait view on an iPad right? I’m testing with Safari iOS 8.4 on iPad 3rd Gen (Retina).

• And, while I am on here, I don’t wish to know how long YOU think it will take me to read something

Sorry you don’t like that change! I’ll try to keep an eye out for specific details from other WordPress.com users about this to get a better idea on how other people feel about it too.

Fwiw, I think we should remove the reading time for very short posts. :)

• @designsimply

Regarding reading time vs. word count, I prefer the latter, too. Everybody reads with another speed, and frankly speaking “30 Sek. Lektüre” looks much less promising for a potential visitor than a low number of words ;)

• Thank you, designsimply. I’m on IOS 8.4 iPad, it’s a late two, but probably virtually the same.

The point about the sidebar is that it’s adding no value. We need to use those functions occasionally, we don’t need to see them as a permanent function. Or at least, that’s my view.

I want to read the previews of the blogs I follow and get to them as quickly and simply as possible. I don’t wish to report them or block them. I wish to get there in one click. These changes have made it more difficult.

• Are we now meant to read the posts in the reader or are we meant to go to the blog, I’m not sure what you are telling us to do WP.

@designsimply, if you put the time up that it will supposedly take readers to read a post then they often won’t go, let them do to the blog and decide for themselves if it is worth it.

the reader is getting worse and worse to use. I really don’t like this new change, it is going to take me twice as long to look at the blogs I follow, I don’t have all the time in the world, like many I’m a busy person.

• More changes that add nothing but frustration. To give a time estimate for reading someone’s post is like trying to deter them from reading. It gives off a very negative vibe when we should consider how long we want to spend reading someone’s post. We can make our own minds up, thank you. The number of words give that away and it wasn’t so “in your face”. I HATE how my blog can be read in a format that I did not create and do not wish my blog to be presented in. To me, that is an infringement on my own freedom of expression. Sometimes it truly feels as though someone is just bored and makes these ridiculous changes for fun. They definitely have no benefit.

• …and what is this # hash tag sign doing in front of the “main” category of the reader view of our posts? I don’t tweet.

• @mishunderstood

I HATE how my blog can be read in a format that I did not create and do not wish my blog to be presented in. To me, that is an infringement on my own freedom of expression.

I’m with you on that. It peeves me right off that logged in visitors using a mobile can read the full posts on my blog without creating a page view stat. https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/wordpresscom-reader-show-full-text?replies=31#post-1373606

• I want to read the previews of the blogs I follow and get to them as quickly and simply as possible. I don’t wish to report them or block them. I wish to get there in one click. These changes have made it more difficult.

Quick note about this one, the links have changed around just a little but the number of clicks is still the same. The “…” with the “Block Site” link in it is new, but you don’t have to use that. Try tapping the post title once and then tap it again. On desktop, there’s also another tip, which is to press Cmd + Click a post title (Mac) or Ctrl + Click (Windows) to open an original post.

• …and what is this # hash tag sign doing in front of the “main” category of the reader view of our posts? I don’t tweet.

That is just one way of displaying tags.

• @designsimply ~ I missed seeing this thread, but my own opinion on the so-called “reading time” is in a thread titled “A fifteen second rant.”
    Of all the things WordPress ever has done, setting a reading time is the worst.

It is MY job to engage my readers and do what is necessary to hold them for as long as it takes for my piece to be read.

It is YOUR job to provide a platform for writers and readers to engage, not to set limits on that experience. If WordPress tells someone my piece will require 15 minutes, they might not read it. But if they begin reading, and what’s written is worthy, the time will not matter.

For heaven’s sake, dispense with all such nonsense. Please.

• @DS

The number of clicks is NOT the same. One click on number of words or time posted would take me to the actual post. One. Click.

Actually, yes I do have to use that to get to the actual blog. And, clicking the title gets me nowhere. :) just nowhere.

Otherwise I get a vile amporphous WP nothing in particular post that the original blog author wouldn’t like.

That’s exactly the point misunderstood is making.

I don’t even want to think about using endless keys on a desktop. Or laptop. Or whatever.

Now, the bottom line is, there is no improvement. Poor visuals, and more clicks does not = better.

Just tell me what the improvement is?

• Of all the things WordPress ever has done, setting a reading time is the worst.

shoreacres! :)

I’ll try to keep track of sentiment on this. I can’t promise a change, but I do like hearing what you think. What do you think about removing it except for on longer content?

• The topic ‘Reader view’ is closed to new replies.