Reader Subscription WhatTheHeck?

• Hi folks, just wondering if there is any news here? TIA

• No news yet. I am going to send another follow up right now. Thanks for checking in on this.

• Thanks @lizkarkoski

FWIW – in the meantime, I unsubscribed from the site I followed with (email visible only to moderators and staff) by using the link at the bottom of the new post notification email I received (I wasn’t logged in to any account when I unsubscribed). I’m being cautiously optimistic, but it looks like the above email address may be disconnected from yourwpcomcierge in spite of the subscription itself still appearing in that account’s Reader.

Since I unsubscribed by email, it doesn’t seem to affect that account any longer.

Was that clear? I might need more coffee. :p

• I’m being cautiously optimistic, but it looks like the above email address may be disconnected from yourwpcomcierge in spite of the subscription itself still appearing in that account’s Reader.

I don’t see it associated with your yourwpcomcierge profile in Gravatar any more, no.

• @kokkieh – So can we say with any certainty that Gravatar no longer archives previous WordPressdotcom admin email addresses or does a user need to proactively remove their previous admin email from their Gravatar account?

I’ve just answered my own question with a different WordPressdotcom account and Gravatar since both the previous and current admin email addresses appear on Gravatar. (I haven’t tried subscribing to any sites with the older address and expect the same result as the original reason for this entire thread.)

You said you were unable to reproduce this, and as I don’t think I’ve ever seen any user post with this issue… oh well.

• Ahh I’m trying to wrap my head around this without caffeine, too, and without being able to see everything that was there before you removed the secondary address from Gravatar. Let me be sure I understand:

You used an email address to test subscribe by email. Even though you weren’t using that address on any account anymore, because you’d switched to a different address a few years ago, the account itself somehow got subscribed on wp.com.

And just to clarify: you never added the old email address back to the account, either as a secondary address on Gravatar, or as a recovery email address. So somehow the system continued the association, though on your end it should not have continued.

You logged into Gravatar, found the old address listed as secondary, removed it, and then unsubscribed and resubscribed to the site. And that seems to have solved the problem for you, though you’re wondering still why the email was still associated with the account.

Do I understand it all properly? If so I can try duplicating this with one of my older test accounts.

• You used an email address to test subscribe by email. Even though you weren’t using that address on any account anymore, because you’d switched to a different address a few years ago, the account itself somehow got subscribed on wp.com.

Correct

And just to clarify: you never added the old email address back to the account, either as a secondary address on Gravatar, or as a recovery email address. So somehow the system continued the association, though on your end it should not have continued.

Correct.

…You logged into Gravatar, found the old address listed as secondary, removed it, and then unsubscribed and resubscribed to the site.

More or less, but after I unsubscribed by email, I did not resubscribe to the site. However the subscription continues to appear in the Reader of the associated account even though I am no longer receiving notifications of new posts by email.

Thanks for checking. Now I need coffee! :)

• And now I need coffee too, my goodness. :)

Thanks for clarifying all of that, we’ll see if we can wrap our heads around what could have possibly gone wrong here.

• I was too hasty in my earlier optimism because the email address (email visible only to moderators and staff) is still somehow associated with yourwpcomcierge’s account. I just signed up for email notifications on a different WP site while logged out of all WPcom accounts (and after previously removing the email address from Gravatar and Staff confirming that it no longer appears there) and the WP site appears in the Reader for yourwpcomcierge.

I don’t have any information beyond what already appears in this very lengthy thread so, over to y’all. Good luck! :)

• Thank you! As long as you’re willing to notify us when this happens, I think we can get to the bottom of this sometime. ;-p Thanks for your patience. Right now I’ve scoured everything I can think of for traces of that address associated with that account, and can’t find anything.

What I did find is an old OAuth connection from back when you used that address. I seriously doubt this is the issue but I am kinda grasping at straws at this point.

Would you mind:
    – removing the follow, both from email and from wpcom
    – revoking oauth2 access here
    https://wordpress.com/me/security/connected-applications (This will make you click a button to re-authorize next time you use one of our apps.)
    – Before re-authorizing, go back and re-subscribe using the email address alone in an incognito browser

Let me know what you find. Also, if the email subscription works without connectin to WP.com but then at some later point it does connect, let us know.

• yourwpcomcierge · Member ·

Would you mind:
    – removing the follow, both from email and from wpcom

Done

– revoking oauth2 access here
    https://wordpress.com/me/security/connected-applications (This will make you click a button to re-authorize next time you use one of our apps.)

Done

– Before re-authorizing, go back and re-subscribe using the email address alone in an incognito browser

Done as instructed – the subscription again shows up in this account’s Reader. :(

• Ok goodness, alright I’ve collected all of the data and passed it on to our developers.

Hopefully this is just an isolated issue, we’ll find out soon!

Thanks!

• The topic ‘Reader Subscription WhatTheHeck?’ is closed to new replies.