Questions about migrating to wordpress.com

• I’ve been building a website using the free version on my personal login and now am ready to move it to the business plan under a new name. I have a few questions I need help with as I’ve been unable to find the information:

1. How do I move it from my personal login to the new business login – or can you show me where I can find this information?

2. There is already a live website using the domain name – will using this name with the new wordpress.com take the existing site down?

3. Am I able to keep the new site in development until I am ready to publish it live to the web?

Thanks for your help!

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there! Congrats on the new website. :)

From what you’ve written, I think you’ve created your new website here on WordPress.com, that you already have an existing website for your business, but you want to purchase the business plan here and make that your new business site, correct?

If so, you can purchase the business plan and point (also known as “map”) your existing domain to the new site here on WordPress.com: https://en.support.wordpress.com/domains/map-existing-domain/

To further answer your questions – Once you map the your domain name from the existing site to the new WordPress.com site, it will no longer point to the old site. However, all of that data will still be at your current web host. The only thing that changes is instead of your domain saying “point here” to your existing site, it says “point there” to your new WordPress.com site.

Lastly, yes, you can keep your current website in development until you’re ready to publish it. All that requires is making it public ( https://en.support.wordpress.com/settings/privacy-settings/ ) and pointing your existing domain to the new WordPress.com site.

You can also migrate your domain to WordPress.com, but that’s not necessary at this time.

Hopefully this answered all of your questions but feel free to ask more questions or for clarification. It can be confusing at first! :)

• Thanks Slodaniel, that has helped me hugely. I’ll just clarify the first points further for you.

I’ve built the site for an organisation, under my personal login using the free plan to develop it until I was happy with it. I’m now at the stage where I want to take it over to a completely new login which the organisation I am building it for will purchase the business plan – so I will move it from my own account over to their new account under their own name and login.

I just wanted to check that it’s easy to do this before I go to them and I’m clear on how to do this before they pay and set up their account on the business plan.

It sure is confusing – building it is the easy part for me!

• Yes, I created it on wordpress.com

• Ok, that’s great detail to have. So you basically want to transfer the site to a new login that your client will use to administer going forward. I think that’s what I’m reading.

It looks like there’s an easy way to do that! See this page: Transferring a Site to Another WordPress.com Account

Make note of the grey box at the top that you’ll need to be in the WP Admin dashboard. Other than that, looks even easier than building! :)

Let us know if you have any other questions

• Yep Slodaniel you’ve got it and thank you so much! That looks a lot easier than I thought it would be. The instructions seem pretty clear and straightforward but I will let you know if I have any problems. I’ll leave this question open for now, just in case I have any issues and will mark it as resolved once I have done it.

Thanks once again for your help. It’s much appreciated :)

• Sounds good @rmcd! Glad I could help. :)

• The topic ‘Questions about migrating to wordpress.com’ is closed to new replies.