Question About Commenting: Is There a Way to Pin Comments?

• Hi,

I’m making a blog with my friend about our books and one day I hope to add a feature called ‘discover our characters’. We have a few books, most of which have a lot of characters, so people might want to say they want a post on a specific character, not just the protagonist (which is the character we’ll probably start with). The way they’d tell us which character they want is through comments.
    I’d also like it if there was a way that other people could agree with this, without needing to write another comment (as this could get confusing to keep track of, and there might be a lot of comments). So on the ‘discover our characters’ post I suggested liking a comment about the character they want.
    However, if there were ever a time when our blog was getting a lot of traffic, and therefore more comments, comments mentioning characters that people want posts on might get lost within other comments, so people might not notice them.
    My question is, is there a way to pin these comments, so that others will spot them quickly? I’ve had a look at My Sites > Site > Comments, on the Support page and in the forum, but I can’t find anything that mentions it. I suppose that means it isn’t a feature? If it is, please could you tell me how to pin comments? Is the ability to pin comments to the top of the comments page only available in certain themes? (My current theme is Stow.)
    If pinning comments isn’t already a feature, I’d like to suggest it (if it’s possible – I’m no technology expert so I don’t know if it is) as a new feature. It would be a bit like how some threads in the WordPress forum are pinned to the top of the forum page (only with comments instead of threads).

Thank you in advance.

• Hi there,

We don’t offer a way to pin comments on WordPress.com, no. This is not dependent on your theme, but would need to be programmed into how comments themselves work.

I’ll add a feature request for this, but it looks like it’s the first time this has been requested – our developers prioritize new features based on how many people request them, so it’s unlikely something like this would be added any time soon.

• Thank you for clarifying :)

• Noting one possible workaround is shared here:
    https://wordpress.com/forums/topic/pinning-comment/

And since our feature request system is now on Github, we’ve also moved the request there:
    https://github.com/Automattic/wp-calypso/issues/57966

Cheers :)

• The topic ‘Question About Commenting: Is There a Way to Pin Comments?’ is closed to new replies.