Premimum theme: Headlines Any one use this yet?

• @macmanx-Perhaps it would also be wise to put a very large sticky at the top of these forums for those having difficulty finding the Premium support forum. Also, I see there is now a Support doc for Premium themes http://en.support.wordpress.com/themes/premium-themes/ but it seems to point people to the regular Support forums for assistance.

(BTW-speaking of stickies, are all the stickies at the top of the forum front page still needed? Has the Datacenter issue been resolved? What about the HTML markup topic?)

• I believe the plan is to find a good balance between hidden and visible.

There is a large notice that pops up when the theme is purchased, a similar notice exists below the theme on the Appearance page, and there’s also the “Premium Themes” forum section visible only to users who have purchased a premium theme to the left on the main forums page.

As many of our users probably won’t be purchasing premium themes, a prominent link to a private forum that merely redirects to the main forum for non-approved users may cause more confusion than it solves.

As for the stickies, that’s a good question. I think it’s definitely time for a cleanup.

• Then perhaps in the Support doc on Premium Themes, it should specifically say something to that effect. At the moment, it just links to the regular Support forums. Sometimes you have to let people know what it is they’re looking for. :)

Besides, if you change the link in that Support doc to link directly to the Premium support forum, I would assume that it would redirect to the main forums if that person hasn’t purchased a Premium theme. Just a thought…

• That’s actually a great idea. :)

I’ll see what we can do.

• This theme looks relly clean and useful but I do have a few questions before purchasing:-

1)is it only the footer that allows widgets or can i put them in the side bars aswell?
    2)how do the excerpts work on this theme? are there many options?

Also ive been looking at creating a template from scratch and have been looking at Headway Theme and their videos make it look really simple. My blog needs a makeover but cant decide which direction to go down….

Thanks for reading.
    Lee
    http://www.djleekee.co.uk

• justjennifer, the link has been changed as requested. Thanks!

djleekee, 1. Yes, there is also a sidebar widgets area.

2. The featured posts are excepts, and the other home page posts are full content (unless you use the more tag) by default. You can see an example at http://headlinesdemo.wordpress.com/

There is an option to enabled/disable auto-excerpts on both the home page and the archives.

• @macmanx Excellent! Works as advertised. :)

• Sounds extremly tempting! I know there is a preview – but as i dont host any of my images on wordpress (i do them via flickr) the preview all looks a bit boring and plain!

Can we try and then if not happy get a refund if its not as editable and flexible as we are led to believe? (not suggesting that you are saying things that it doesnt actually do!)

PS loving the demo!

• Yes, premium themes are eligible for a 30-day full refund. Please feel free to try it out! :)

• djleekee… I would, perhaps, read this thread thoroughly before making your purchasing decision. As you can this theme as what I consider to be a few major (and minor) glitches.

If you don’t care about: (A) not actually being able to feature more than 3 or 4 posts without causing there to be a huge amount of white space on your home page (B) not being able to read the categories listed in the top navigation bar, because they are practically ghosted out, (C) not be able to have the title of your blog scroll all the way to the right and (D) not be able to read the subhead because the font is too tiny then you will like this theme.

I’m not being negative … I really do like the look of this theme and WANT it to work which is why I’m waiting for the developer of this theme to get back with me to tell me he can fix all these issues with the main one being the issue of too much white space.

I would want someone to give me honest feedback as I am giving you so that they (you) can make an informed decision. Hope this helps!

• Sorry, I meant to say, “As you can see this theme has what I consider….(too many typos in that post!)

• Note that the cases above could simply be related to the theme not being a perfect fit for what you’d like, or they could be bugs or points of improvement that the developers intend to fix.

The best example of potentially using the theme out of scope is point A.

The theme seems to be designed like a major news site where you’d only want just a few featured articles highlighted, not a running category. Think like major editorials on current events. You’d only want the freshest of the fresh articles to be featured.

Of course, that’s just my opinion, and the developer could certainly decide to change that.

As for issues with Premium Themes, let’s keep those in the Premium Themes forum. You already have one support topic for Headlines outside of the Premium Themes forums, but I can understand why you made it.

It’s much easier for us to provide support (and much quicker for you to receive support) on an issue when it’s brought up in one correct location, as opposed to three separate locations.

• After taking a peek at Jennikeast’s site with Headlines activated it looks like the theme was designed to show only one line’s worth of links in the top-most menu section, however it could easily be built into the theme’s CSS to not choke so hard if a user did want to include more links or longer titles here. Maybe ask the original designer for a revision?

• @Jennikeast and anyone else using the Headline theme – in each post there does seem to be a HUGE grey box beneath each post and excerpts featuring the categories and tags with really large spacing between them all.

Can this feature be tidied up or totally got rid of unless you actually click inside a post?
    I dont mind them appearing within each post but on the front page it looks quite messy with them appearing – especially so spaciously aswell!

• Support for premium themes is not handled here in the main forums. There is a separate forum staffed by wordpress.COM personnel and the theme designer. As I understand it, you go to appearance > themes in your dashboard and at the top where the theme you are using is listed, there is a support forum button.

These main forums are mostly volunteers and we don’t have any of the premium themes, so we cannot support them, and even so, part of what you are paying for is that special direct support.

• The topic ‘Premimum theme: Headlines Any one use this yet?’ is closed to new replies.