Post titles display incorrectly

• Post titles are wildly spaced, almost as if they’re justified, with huge gaping holes between the words. Can anyone advise me on how to correct this? It looks awful.

I’m using Firefox 42.0.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• I don’t see that. I see special characters like : at the beginning and end of titles that ought not to ever be in any blog post titles. Edit the post and get rid of them so you stop confusing search engines and queering where your posts appear in search results.

• They’ve been there for four years with no problems until yesterday.

• Displays correctly on Chrome.

• I would never ever in a million years include an inappropriately placed punctuation in any post or page title for SEO reasons. Google doesn’t display some special characters if they are used in <title></title> and they frequently make changes so relying on what ought to be there in the first place is not a good plan.

Avoid Special Character Use in Titles and Tags
    https://onecoolsite.wordpress.com/2013/07/21/avoid-special-character-use-in-titles-and-tags/

• I don’t think your issue is an appearance issue but even if it is an appearance issue to you, then know that SEO trumps appearance every day when it comes to getting content indexed by search and getting traffic to it form search engines.

I tagged this thread with modlook for a Staff response. Please subscribe to it so you are notified when they respond. To subscribe look in the sidebar of this thread, find the subscribe to topics link and click it.

• Hi @publikworks, I’ve checked using Firefox, Chrome, and Safari, and I don’t see this issue. Can you upload a screenshot, either to your media library or a service like Cloudup.com?

About SEO, those characters won’t be included in the slug, and I’ve noticed if I search for one of those post titles, with or without the extra characters, it’s coming up alright in Google.

If you had a plan with Custom Design, I would probably add those with CSS instead of putting them in the post titles, but if it hasn’t been a problem for you, I wouldn’t worry too much.

• I’ve uploaded two screen shots in my media library, showing two different title displays. They’re both wonky, though. I’m sure it’s something I did or Firefox did. The problem cropped up only after my browser was updated. gah!

Thanks for checking the SEO performance. I’ve never had a problem as far as I know and I’m hesitant to ditch the colons — it’s kind of a signature. But I will if I have to. Do they really throw off search engines or invalidate searches?

• I think they can if you’re using them in your URLs, but we filter them out for your “slug” so you’re okay there. And while some search engines might not like them, Google doesn’t seem to mind.

Again, if you ever get Premium with CSS support, let us know and we’ll show you how to add them in via CSS.

As for the spacey titles: good news! Kind of. My Firefox just updated, and now I see the same thing! I’ll be digging around a bit to see what I can find out.

• Alright, while I haven’t nailed down the reason it’s happening, I’ve made some headway and filed a bug report. I’ll let you know what we find out.

Also, it’s happening in the theme demo, too, so no worries: it’s not being caused by the colons in the titles.

• Phew! That’s the best news I’ve heard all week.

Are you, by any chance, my Fairy Godmother? You are, aren’t you? Well, you have truly wonderful timing. Thank you, thank you, thank you :o)

• Ooh, that would be nice. Wish-granting would be a lovely talent. For now, I’ll be wishing for an update on this soon. Cheers!

• Why has the site title now vanished from the header? It was fine yesterday and it’s a different theme.

• @publikworks does someone else have your password, or is there a chance you left yourself logged in at a public computer? It looks like you’ve been changing and deleting things on your site.

If that was not you, please change your password as soon as possible.

• I just posted a piece and I’m on wi-fi. For the last several days my site has been very, very slow and acting weird. So, yes, I’ve been trying to delete things to get it corrected.

• May I suggest that you read these support docs and act on what you read in them?
    https://en.support.wordpress.com/https/

Enable Two-Step Authentication

• Is there someone who could fill me in on what’s happening with my blog?

• Your site doesn’t seem slow here, but if you can give more details about what’s acting weird I may be able to help.

I do see the site title in the header. I also see a theme change, but I’m not totally sure from your questions here whether you’re saying someone else changed the theme. If you can send more details as to what’s wrong, that will help. Screenshots may help too if you’re seeing something we’re not seeing.

Also, please be aware if you’ve been deleting images from your media library, those images will not appear on the site anymore.

• The header and the slow speed are the issues. It downloads in sections and will not accept an uploaded header image (that requires minutes) without an error message. The dimensions are exactly to size. The header image and the screen shot are in the media library.

• The topic ‘Post titles display incorrectly’ is closed to new replies.