Please Reinstate the Option of Choice to Use the Old Publishing Format

• I have been courteous, consistent and clear in all of my statements.

@oneworldtree
    – Yes you have. I guess I was not clear that my earlier comment about being on topic was not directed at you, but at those who would come later and read this thread. I apologize for that.

@dawntreader72014 @surlybond – What I find interesting here is the number of people who actually use the Classic Editor, but got there via the New Post Editor. Before there was the New Post Editor, we only had the Classic Editor and the way we got there was Dashboard>Posts>Add New or to edit via Dashboard>Posts>All Posts>Edit. This is not a workaround but a chosen work flow.

Regretfully, with the introduction of the New Editor, The Powers That Be introduced new buttons and links that overrode those work flows making a lot of confusion and frustration for users along the way.

When the New Dash Editor was introduced, I advocated for making the choice of New Dash Editor or Classic Dash Editor a Dashboard configuration setting, not a cookie setting, with all subsequent links following that choice and I am again making that request that this be considered going forward.

• @surlybond Your comment made me chuckle. By Jove, I think he’s got it!

@justjennifer Thank you for recounting the history of these issues. I hope your excellent suggestions are listened to and acted upon.

Thanks to all who are posting, helping, volunteering, etc.

• The new editor is a mess! In HTML mode it CUTS my posting in Safari/OS X. That means I just can’t scroll fully down to the end of the posting (hard to believe, it’s 2015, isn’t it?) but at least it (the rest of the code) is there. So I have to copy/cut the code and edit in OS X’ editor, copy & paste again to WP. There is no COPY POST function (need that often).

Please bring back an easy option for being able to use the old editor. Thx in advance.

• Thanks for clarifying, justjennifer
    I suppose, in the case of a new post, I am simply having to revert to doing what I used to do.
    For edits, the new system is a disaster. Seeing something to fix in a post, clicking the “Edit” used to do the trick. Now it doesn’t.
    In another thread on this subject, shawnajroberts (staff) suggests one can “open the legacy editor, and set a cookie in your browser”. I need to have that explained to me. You also puzzle me by referring to “a cookie setting”.

• WHY are we doing this again WordPress?

One will think that you have taken note from the outrage from the last time when you forced the new editor?

WHY THE F**K do I have to go true million of clicks to get to the old editor? Do we have to again start the argument about THE NEW EDITOR IS TERRIBLE AND I DON’T WANT TO USE IT?

How hard is to add a single check box in the F***ing settings so people can choose what to use?

I am sorry if I sound frustrated but… I am really frustrated! All I want is to generate content. Currently you are making my job harder, and instead of typing a post I need to dig in forums to find how to FIND the old editor, so I don’t have to work with the new crap!

• Wow, I just saw this thread, am dreading going into my blog tomorrow if it’s going to send me to the new beepboop editor all the time.
    It doesn’t now–when I click to edit or make a new post I still get the classic editor. Crossing my fingers.

@justjennifer

Before there was the New Post Editor, we only had the Classic Editor and the way we got there was Dashboard>Posts>Add New or to edit via Dashboard>Posts>All Posts>Edit. This is not a workaround but a chosen work flow.

I’ve been on WP four years now, and as you say I’m very used to going to the wp admin page/ dashboard to make a new post.

But I can’t remember ever having to do that in order to edit an already-published post that I’m reading–at least in the last four years there’s always been an “edit” button handy somewhere to click on while reading, so I could go straight to the editor and change the post.

I will be really upset if it turns out hitting “edit” while reading a post takes me to the beeping new editor by default (it doesn’t yet). <sigh>

• correction to my post above:
    there’s always been an edit link handy–not necessarily a button.
    In my first theme (2010) it was a link at the top and bottom area of the post, from what I vaguely remember…

• @raincoaster
    I think this thread was started because the option to switch editors has recently been removed. Hence there is no convenient way to switch whilst editing.

There has been much comment in this thread (and others) about how one can still use the classic editor for editing old posts. Yes, it is possible, but not without a fair degree of hoop-jumping.

For those involved in the 1st round last year, you may well remember that we asked for the classic editor to be a preference. When it was clear that we wouldn’t get it, I think most of us grudgingly accepted the method WP gave us (based on a cookie). Not great, but at least it worked (sort of) and was a (fairly) convenient way of switching.

This has now been removed and we are back where we were last year. No convenient (repeat – convenient) way of switching back to the classic editor. Let’s not repeat the instructions for hoop- jumping. Let’s push for the reinstatement of the switch.

• Just a thought. Perhaps we should contact the Staff Member who was so helpful last time?

• The editor program (the Classic Editor) that was available to WordPress.com bloggers a year ago was a fine piece of work. As one who needed a blog, but was a dunce at computer coding, I found it an essential tool to get me started. It was an enormous relief to find that I could actually use the editor to compose blog posts and edit them.
    I was devastated when the new editor was introduced, lacking features that I need. That was some months ago, and I thought until yesterday that I was using the new version with amendments that made it usable. I see that I was wrong, and that the new version that is now accessed directly on blog pages is as useless to me as it was before.
    I am worried that the Classic Editor may be removed by WordPress,com at any moment. I am not confident that I will find an editor on another host that is so accessible to a blogger of my limited ability.
    It is a mystery to me what possible virtues the new editor could have from the point of view of WordPress.com. I suspect it is something to do with where the editing program resides.
    I would appreciate an explanation (jargon-free, please) of the technical differences between the new editor and the old and what advantages they bring. Are there technical reasons why the useful features included in the old one cannot be included in the new one?

• I suspect that the new editor is aimed at, how can I put it, a slightly younger audience than yourself @surlybond. My guess is that it’s aimed at the pre-teen market.

• For me, from today, using Chrome, I am for the first time getting the new editor when I open an old, already-published, post from the blog — even with the new editor bookmarked for new posts and all the right cookies in place.

To use the old editor, I now have to get into the post via the old admin interface. This wasn’t the case before.

• @knashermac2009 Sub-teens can edit?

I said in a post above:
    “I am worried that the Classic Editor may be removed by WordPress,com at any moment.”
    If WordPress.com is committed to their new Editor program, the old one will become a maintenance burden.
    In that case, the old Editor program WILL be removed.
    I wonder who owns it?

• I’m guessing here.

Some of the features of the old editor that I find useful use information from various parts of my web-site – numerous other posts (to copy), a category tree, a collection of frequently used tags.
    The new editor seems to display none of these. It displays only information already contained in the post in question.
    Is that how it is going to be? The blogger has to maintain such lists elsewhere, or muddle through without them?

I thought that WordPress.com valued style and consistency, but they are making it hard.

• I would also like to add my support to either the return of the link to the old editor, or the option to set which editor I use so I don’t have to jump through hoops to get to the one that works.

In addition to the issues already mentioned, on my computer the entire layout of the new editor is borked. I have a box for the title of the post at the top of the page but have to scroll right down past all the various options for posts just to get to the box for the post contents. With the tags not saving, this means that I am constantly having to scroll up and down the entire page to add tags as I work on my posts.

I have tried all sorts of settings to get it to show correctly, but nothing seems to work.

My solution right now is to jump through hoops to work with the old editor, where, ironically, there is a link to “switch to the improved posting experience”.

• Sorry, for what it’s worth, my post above didn’t make sense. Corrected:

For me, from today, using Chrome, I am for the first time getting the new editor when I open an old, already-published, post from the blog — even with the OLD editor bookmarked for new posts and all the right cookies in place.

To use the old editor on an old post, I now have to get into the post via the old admin interface. This wasn’t the case before. I could open it from the blog.

• “Please Reinstate the Option of Choice to Use the Old Publishing Format” If this is where you vote, I vote for the old editor and am happy that we at least have a workaround for now. This reminds me of Yahoo’s 2013 redesign issues. Hopefully issues with the new editor will be addressed before the problem escalates and “beep beep boop” becomes the new synonym for “you’re screwed” on the internet.

• Today is the first time I’ve clicked on Edit and been taken to the new editor. That wouldn’t be so bad if there were a button there to take me to the classic editor, which is exactly what I want all the time.

• I highly doubt they’ll get rid of the classic editor because it’s part of core WordPress, so it wouldn’t be more maintenance for them. In fact, I’d think it’s more maintenance to keep the new editor.

I posted this in the other thread, but I’ll post it here also. I wrote a user script to force a redirect to the classic editor when visiting a link to the new editor; no need for a button! You also won’t get that annoying autosave alert after the redirect because the new editor won’t have a chance to autosave.
    This script should work for all blogs, so you shouldn’t need to tweak it for each blog.

On GreasyFork: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/8581-wordpress-com-edit-post-redirects
    On GitHub: https://github.com/tpenguinltg/wpcom-edit-post-redirect.user.js
    You’ll need Greasemonkey or a similar addon to use it.

I also wrote a post on it if anyone is interested in how the code works.

• Is what’s being said here that wp no long sets/saves a cookie for our preference for the old editor???

Or is it just that the PENCIL icon in the upper right now send us to beep boop, and the “send me back to the classic editor” toggle isn’t there anymore on beep boop???

I don’t care about the pencil icon up top, as I’ve never used it. To edit a published post or draft that I’m reading I use the dropdown under the first tab in the toolbar – My Sites > Edit

To start a new post I use the wpadmin tab in the same dropdown out of habit, or else in the same dropdown, I go below it to blog posts and click on ADD. So far that all still sends me to the classic editor..

Re cookies, every three months or so (a guess) I do get redirected to the beepboop editor, and have to purposely go back to the old one. So far, after that happens it’s another good long while before it happens again.

Other than when that rare and occasional redirect happens, I don’t ever “toggle” between the classic and the beepboop editors — don’t see anything worth using about beepboop.

I would certainly prefer that the toggle remain, as a more convenient way to get back to the classic editor every few months when I land on beep boop, but I never switch back and forth while composing posts.

Amazingly, I even saw the new editor touted by a staffperson as being BETTER for saving (while working on a post) because it saves to your browser instead of to wordpress! When anyone who reads the forums know how risky this is and how many users end up losing whole posts that way… Baffling.

@tpenguin, Thanks I bookmarked your post–so far I don’t need it, the classic editor still comes up for me whether clicking “edit” on an already published post or going to my adminpage/dashboard.

• The topic ‘Please Reinstate the Option of Choice to Use the Old Publishing Format’ is closed to new replies.