Please Reinstate the Option of Choice to Use the Old Publishing Format

• I will give the developers the benefit of the doubt and think that they did fight the good fight, but some higher up made this decision for them.

• @timethief As to possible motives, the first thing that springs to mind is FOLLOW THE MONEY.

There are many devious ways to manipulate situations for desired outcomes that would not even occur to most people. Studying methods of mind control is very enlightening on that front.

We may find out later, or may never know. It does seem very odd that WordPress would really mess up as badly as this unless they had some hidden reason for it.

• @aliceharding
    I don’t believe there is any mind control going on here or that there are “ulterior motives” like you suggested.

All companies must have an aim to produce profit or cannot be registered as companies. Are you aware of where the income is derived from? Advertising and upgrade subscriptions are the answer and it is the latter that produces the most revenue.

From what I have read here in this thread I surmise that if the missing link was restored those protesting its removal, who would not use it anyway, would simply find something else to get all heated up about.

• If you read my post more carefully you will see that it is clear that I did not suggest there was any mind control going on.

I did suggest there could be ulterior motives and that would not surprise me at all.

• @imperialtwilight

I commend you for your effort.
    http://www.poll-maker.com/poll277402x1D5c4173-10

The neoliberal consciousness behind corporate decision-making in western nations excludes and marginalizes substantial segments of the world’s population.

So-called upgrades in social media are inevitably designed to interface with the NSA intelligence surveillance apparatus and marketed to the general public through slick propaganda as a new and improved product. Those who follow the Snowden disclosures know this.

Any product that allows total integration of personal communications and date via multiple devices is the death knell of your freedom and right to privacy. The concept mirrors intelligence fusion centers.

Never agree to exchange security and privacy for convenience.

• Correction

Any product that allows total integration of personal communications and data via multiple devices is the death knell of your freedom and right to privacy. The concept mirrors intelligence fusion centers.

Never agree to exchange security and privacy for convenience.

• From what I have read here in this thread I surmise that if the missing link was restored those protesting its removal, who would not use it anyway, would simply find something else to get all heated up about.

now, who is doing the mind reading and making assumptions about people?

• @timethief

From what I have read here in this thread I surmise that if the missing link was restored those protesting its removal, who would not use it anyway, would simply find something else to get all heated up about.

??? Certainly hard to make sense of this. Of course we would use the button. Why else are we all sitting here at our keyboards, taking time out of our day to repeat that we want “choice”.

And I sincerely doubt we are looking for something else to “get all heated up about” ????????

I would think the cogent and well considered comments would suggest that most of us have professional lives beyond Word Press and in taking part in this discussion are in a sense “volunteers”.

We’re still asking for an answer as to why we aren’t being given the “choice” which we are ( most of us anyway ) requesting.

Meanwhile the petition has gone up to an astonishing 2426 cyber signatures. WOW.

“I Mua” Foward.

• @timethief

All companies must have an aim to produce profit or cannot be registered as companies. Are you aware of where the income is derived from? Advertising and upgrade subscriptions are the answer and it is the latter that produces the most revenue.

So you are saying this manipulation is part of the WordPress plot to force free blog members to purchase premium or fork out even more for the self-hosted option just so they can continue to use the Classic editor.

@timethief

Nearly everyone commenting on this thread has never posted in this forum before.

The members here are not whiners and complainers to be tolerated or ignored.

We all have work invested in our websites, some much more than others, and we could manage the host of technical challenges that are part of daily fare on WordPress but forcing this new editor on us was the last straw. Either way it ends here. WordPress either show integrity and restore the instant access link to free website users or we walk.

imperialtwilight’s vote is our best option to test WordPress intentions.

If they no longer support free blog members, we simply won’t support them.

http://www.poll-maker.com/poll277402x1D5c4173-10

• @nikkitytom

@cbiancardi

Of course we would use the button.

Like everyone else who has posted here so far, I know how to access and use the classic editor when publishing and when editing posts and pages, and I use only the classic editor, so I wouldn’t have any use for the link.

I assumed, apparently incorrectly, that others like me who were exclusively users of the classic editor would not use the link either. However, it appears that just isn’t so. Wow! Who knew?

• @time thief

From what I have read here in this thread I surmise that if the missing link was restored those protesting its removal, who would not use it anyway, would simply find something else to get all heated up about

Perhaps the assumption conveyed in the last phrase is indicative of an unwarranted assumption that we are merely complainers.

Which is not so. We have a genuine concern and a concerted request … which is to be given a choice. Without formally being given a choice, there is no guarantee that we don’t wake up one day to find the old editor disabled … with no other “work-arounds” accesssible. I for one do not want to waste valuable time working with a program which may disappear at a whim.

You appear to be quite conversant with access to the old editor and quite happy with it, so I do not understand why you are concerned with this issue. You’ve solved it for yourself. And maintain that it’s working for you very well. For most of us here, we want a more stable guarantee.

• The petition has officially passed the halfway mark re: imperialtwilight’s goal of 5000 votes by the end of the day Friday.

I voted today and will begin to actively campaign for:

• the unconditional reinstatement of the quick access button to the Classic editor for all free blog members
    • that our choice to use the Classic editor will be our default and hold for the entire working session
    • guarantees that free members will always have the above choices available
    • Click to add your vote to the petition

• @nikkitytom

You are right. I resolved this issue myself and I even have a contingency plan that I have shared in this thread. The way I saw it was that I have a choice of use of two editors now, both classic and new, without restoration of the link.

I do believe the day will come when the new editor will rival the classic editor. And, I do believe that when that happens it’s possible that the classic editor will be removed.

As for me, I worked through my anger and after I took the time to take care of my own best interest (contingency plan), I was able to laugh at myself for my initial fixation on trying to controlling a decision making process I have no place in. I reached a place of acceptance.

I know software changes are inevitable. I know that there are many code changes made here every day, and that some are aimed at achieving the end goal set by TPTB, so I confess that I’m not looking for a guarantee.

I suppose what amazes me is that some others (note that many who originally posted here have grown silent now) are still going on about the link that was removed at the beginning of the month. I guess I am just more pragmatic than some others are … shrug … so be it.

Peace to all, and to all a good day or good night, as the case may be.

• @timethief

I have had extensive experience with websites, worked on many platforms, and was the administrator of an entire network where people had blogs, profile pages, created and hosted groups.

Over the years, the owners of that network implemented changes, all of them welcomed by the community. They were also great with support.

Then the ownership acquired new investment partners. From that point, every change resulted in thousands of technical problems, gradually escalating until the best features we had enjoyed for years, and had collaborated together to create, were available only to those who could pay for them. The rest were stuck with a downgraded version, which was intentionally bug-ridden. What was once a fantastic support team was only accessible to paid subscribers.

Sound familiar?

In the above case, their decision backfired as millions of users migrated to other social platforms.

Seeing this process repeated, understanding exactly what it means, I have protested because the same changes that eventually brought down another “too big to fail” organization are now happening to WordPress.

If they continue to ignore member concerns, they will fall. People will leave. Other platforms are available and the open source community are active creating secure alternatives.

• @timethief

That is really uncalled for, and is a very inaccurate misrepresentation of the discussion in this thread.

The majority of commentors have been quite articulate and specific about why they do not want to use the new editor, and the problems it causes for them in posting to and managing their blogs. And they have also stated clearly why they prefer the classic editor.

You have been able to deal with the changes and develop alternatives for yourself and your blogging activities. That’s fine. But that doesn’t mean others’ experience with the new editor is any less valid or important than your experience. To characterize the complainants as not willing or able to use what they are asking for, and as a bunch of malcontents wandering around WP looking for things to complain about, is wrong and unnecessary.

• @fionamcquarrie
    Your last paragraph touched me. You are right. I concede and I apologize for thinking any less of others experience than I do of my own.

• @imperialtwilight,

You need to remember it is WE who make WordPress big. And WE are a MAJORITY.

Who or what is WE? And how is it a majority?

If given another platform that was preferable. you’d be surprised how WordPress could collapse in a very short time.

Remember that wise old saying, “The bigger they are, the harder they fall.”?

And then there’s that famous story of David and Goliath. Who won?

So you want to bring down the giant. Watch it tumble and fall to the dust, and be carried away like a hero. Then where will all the WordPress users be? Are you going to lead us to the promised land?

• @imperialtwilight

Keep going and congratulations on your success so far. If we just give in, then we are an easier target for future high handed behaviour.

I think some bloggers are wary of rocking the boat, getting involved or just don’t think there is a point. Therefore, approaches need to reassure that there is nothing to lose and we at least deter the high handed in the future.

Good job. It is up to the rest of us to make it work. Spread the opportunity to vote and become loud enough to attract the attention of those with a vested interest. :-)

• @ aliceharding,
    On page 30 you say,

Of course it is very possible that WordPress have ulterior motives and/or there is something they are not telling us, which we may find out later, or not.

Near the top of page 31, while considering such “motives,” you say,

There are many devious ways to manipulate situations for desired outcomes that would not even occur to most people. Studying methods of mind control is very enlightening on that front.

After timethief demurs on the mind control suggestion, in your next post you say,

If you read my post more carefully you will see that it is clear that I did not suggest there was any mind control going on.

Perhaps we’re just imagining it.

• The topic ‘Please Reinstate the Option of Choice to Use the Old Publishing Format’ is closed to new replies.