Please Reinstate the Option of Choice to Use the Old Publishing Format

• Well, I wonder where is the usefulness of a new editor that does not supports the same functionality as the old one, specially in what it concerns the custom features my template has. Myself I can manage well with these workarounds but my blog companions who aren’t so familiar with WordPress and IT in general find it confusing. I know that I might be repeating what others have written, but it really puzzles me.

• timethief asks:

Has this thread reached it’s end as a useful one?

Probably. The link to the classic editor is gone. It’s a done deal. The “happiness engineer” seems to have abandoned us. There’s nothing left here but blowing off steam.

• I’m just going to drop this link off in case this thread gets closed before I finish it:
    http://git.io/wpcom-restore-classic-ed
    This is the page of workarounds that I’ve been working on. Hopefully I’ll finish it today.

• “Hoping we will just fizzle out” is the aim of WP …. amply shown by our “happiness engineer” who neatly skirts the principal question and goes into paragraphs of side details.

I think we should keep hammering away at that main topic … which is to allow us the CHOICE. And not get side tracked with minutiae … either amongst ourselves or with WP’s other flaws.

WP … Please stop the Beep Boop nonsense and the “happiness” silliness … and deal with the problem.

We want CHOICE. Simple.

• @sensuouscurmudgeon
    I do not believe Staff have abandoned this thread. The bottom line seems to be that each blogger who posts want Staff to “play it again, Sam” regarding their rationale, and IMO that’s just a waste of the blogger’s time and Staff time. I think the more “blowing off steam” that’s posted here the harder it is for those bloggers, who have not posted here previously to find out what they want to know.

The link to the classic editor will not be restored to the new editor. One has three choices
    (1) bookmark the link;
    (2) create a bookmarklet (same as above);
    (3) install the script.

• Sorry, meant to say

@nikkitytom
    agree 100%

• @timethief

@jeremeylduvall
    This thread was created March 13th. We have known since March 18th that the link Classic Editor will not return to the New Editor. Has this thread reached it’s end as a useful one?

It’s important to keep this thread open because it’s not only about a discussion re: the new changes but a petition demanding the return of the quick access button.

What happiness engineers have said so far is irrelevant because that quick access link has still not been reinstated.

Until it is the matter isn’t resolved and I don’t subscribe to any fatalistic stance.

Continue to push for what we all want and need to work efficiently and professionally here; the classic editor and quick access link.

@vitaaeterna

A lot of people are reading this thread, not just those who took time to comment and over 580 people have left their comments so far. The quality of feedback has been unanimous, detailed, invaluable, whether happiness engineers appreciate it or not.

Nobody wants the new editor.
    Everyone wants the classic version.
    Everyone wants the option button that takes us directly back to classic mode.

People pushing grease monkey as superior to the “switch to classic button” complicate matters. It’s not a simple workaround or a solution. It just gives WordPress an excuse to ignore us.

Pushing workarounds AND talking of closing the thread are both counter-productive to our goal.

If this thread is closed it would look far worse for wordpress than the blunt indifference shown thus far to our reasonable demand.

• @nikkitytom
    The OP’s question has been answered. The main question was answered on May 18th.

And I heartily disagree that “hammering away at the main topic” in this thread will result in anything beneficial. I also think those who are into repeated “hammering” have created a phony battlefield, and and in doing so they appear to have lost sight of the fact that this is a support forum where bloggers post questions and receive answers to them.

It’s my strongly help position that those who feel the need to use the thread as a soapbox are not helping anyone. Their repeated demands in this thread that Staff comply with their desire expressed by their “hammering” make it unnecessarily difficult for new bloggers who have not posted here previously to find out what they need to know.

IMNHO this thread has lost usefulness and ought to be closed.

• It’s important to keep this thread open because it’s not only about a discussion re: the new changes but a petition demanding the return of the quick access button. What happiness engineers have said so far is irrelevant because that quick access link has still not been reinstated.

Until it is the matter isn’t resolved and I don’t subscribe to any fatalistic stance.

Continue to push for what we all want and need to work efficiently and professionally here; the classic editor and quick access link….
    Pushing workarounds AND talking of closing the thread are both counter-productive to our goal.

If this thread is closed it would look far worse for wordpress than the blunt indifference shown thus far to our reasonable demand.

@the11thwave: I agree 150%

• Edi: It’s my strongly held position

• I don’t like the outcome either but I’m not prepared to become a “hammerhead”.

What’s important is that the link to the classic editor will not be restored to the new editor. One has three choices
    https://tpenguinltg.github.io/wpcom-edit-post-redirect.user.js/index.html

(1) bookmark the link;
    (2) create a bookmarklet (same as above);
    (3) install the script.

Those who are unhappy can use their time productively by migrating their content to where they will be happy, rather than filling this thread with more of the “hammering” ie. by repeating what’s already been said and rejected by Staff, and by doing so making it hard for those bloggers, who approach this thread for the first time to find the information they came for.

• @timetheif
    I feel the thread is important. It has helped me tremendously find out how to find and use my classic editor. Many other users may be finding it useful in coming days for the same thing. WP also needs to know that we remain unhappy. If you are not prepared to become a “hammerhead”, then leave the thread.
    Thank you for the vast amounts of posts you have added.

• TT: with all due respect, you have that opinion. Other users (myself included) have another. It will not be the first time (and probably not the last), to WordPress.com rectified.
    It depends on us. :)

• @timethief
    And what about the many WP users who are totally unaware that there is such a thing as a forum?

• Taking up Timethief’s point, should there not be another section on these Forum pages called simply Feedback. Where nothing is ever closed. Leaving the Support pages for Support.

There is something to be said for hammering, too.

• Just two cents, if it helps.

WordPress is not eliminating the classic editor. See here.
    Matt has commented somewhere (do not have the link handy) where he suggest that we bookmark frequently-used links in our own browsers.

I am a daily and heavy user of WordPress.com and I have been blogging for long time (have gone through lots of changes). With above two listed options, I really don’t see a big deal about this change.

If you self-bookmark your frequently used dashboard links (compose new post, draft queue, published queue, and even the old stats link), you will not run into the new editor at all.

• @galois
    Since when did this support forum become an opinion forum?

The place to post discussion and opinions is in the Ideas Forum and we both know that.

Ideas, Suggestions, and Conversations about blogging on WordPress.com https://en.forums.wordpress.com/forum/ideas
    Create a new thread https://en.forums.wordpress.com/forum/ideas#postform

It depends on us. :)

It does not depend on us. Clearly, we end users lack the power to compel TPTB to instruct Staff to trash their 2 years of work. Anyone who thinks differently is at liberty to blog it, as opposed to repeatedly posting the same old same old here.

@fearsomebeard
    If you think the purpose of creating support threads is to become a hammerhead, and if you think that you have the power to tell me to behave like a hammerhead or to leave this thread then your IQ must be questionable.

• Since when did this support forum become an opinion forum?

The place to post discussion and opinions is in the Ideas Forum and we both know that.

I mean that you have an opinion about this thread. Other users (myself included) have another opinion.
    It is clear now?

It does not depend on us. Clearly, we end users lack the power to compel TPTB to instruct Staff to trash their 2 years of work. Anyone who thinks differently is at liberty to blog it, as opposed to repeatedly posting the same old same old here.

Wrong. I remember other times (two, three) WordPress.com reversed (Matt included).

You have bad memory , perhaps. ;)

P.S.: And I will not argue with you , but I think I have the right to think differently .

• If you think the purpose of creating support threads is to become a hammerhead, and if you think that you have the power to tell me to behave like a hammerhead or to leave this thread then your IQ must be questionable.

That comment is really questionable, IMHO.

• The topic ‘Please Reinstate the Option of Choice to Use the Old Publishing Format’ is closed to new replies.