Please Reinstate the Option of Choice to Use the Old Publishing Format

• Author

Evidently as WP will no longer be providing a link to the forums, they want even fewer people to know that they exist.

musicdoc1

@ knashermac2009,

Use BBB for simple stuff
    Use Classic Editor for complex stuff

They don’t advocate that now. As tpenguinltg pointed out on page 18 the WP “Get Published” Learn page you quote from and otherwise refer to hasn’t been updated for two years. In fact, if any WordPress employee today were to refer to the classic WordPress.com post editor as the place “where the magic will happen!” they’d probably be canned on the spot.

This is the place to go when you want to publish something longer or more complex. This dashboard editor is similar to the editor in your Reader — it works a lot like your favorite word processing software, and you can insert a title and tags — but it allows you to do much more.

I never used the post editor in the Reader, so I don’t know specifically what they are comparing the classic editor to. But I think it’s a leap to suggest that they are referring to something like the new editor, since the Beep Beep Boop editor wasn’t introduced until 16 months after the latest update (according to tpenguintlg) to the Learn page.
    Try to find a single instance since the early July 2014 introduction of the kiddie editor of a WordPress staff member saying or even insinuating that the classic editor might be preferable under any circumstance.

wpvins

@aliceharding
    Exactly my sentiment as expressed here, too.

musicdoc1

@ dandelionsalad,

…the script is much better than the cookie thing, however, the majority of WP users are unaware of it, which is why I stated that WP should allow us (all bloggers/users) the choice of which editor to us

You’re correct, of course. It took me a while to look at it objectively. For the average WP member the script and bookmarklet options are irrelevant. Probably fewer than 1% have even heard of them. With this in mind, any scenario in which WP provides easily found links back and forth between the two editors would be better than the present setup.

musicdoc1

Not quite any scenario. The situation will worsen if they decide to begin linking to the new editor from All Posts as well, regardless of whether a link to the classic is included.

well I guess you right in that they don’t explicitly say it. However, if the classic editor was “magic” and was for complex stuff, how can that have changed?

I have given up trying to find any documentation for BBB – I think what I found was the first dumbed-down version.

Can anyone find any documentation on BBB?

@musicdoc1

Regarding the revisions issue, since the number of revisions is not related to the new editor, let’s move this to a new thread (hard to follow everything here). I’ll email you directly.

@davidderrick

Correct, I did resave as draft in the new editor and it remained published. Thanks.

Thanks for confirming. Have you noticed this again? The reason I ask is that I’ve published and edited 50+ posts in the New Editor since the start of this thread, but I haven’t experienced this. Still trying though!

(If you could use @jeremeylduvall or some variation of that when responding, that would help me to make sure I don’t miss your reply.)

@thewallpaperlady

Thanks for the additional info. I’m addressing all of your responses below:

it will not scroll, neither with the mouse nor with the scroll bar, so I can only see part of what I’ve written before it gets lost at the bottom of the page.

That’s certainly frustrating. When you’re trying to scroll, can you make sure you’ve clicked into the “Edit Post” window? When you’re mouse is focused outside of the editor, the scrolling will affect the entire page. However, when you click inside the editor, your scrolling should work within the post. Here’s a screencast of both:

http://d.pr/v/1eQ8t

So I can’t find the link to go back to the old editor that was mentioned above.

Just to be clear, this link has been removed.

I can’t post any new material. I have only posted the last few days by stumbling around until I find my drafts, and then publish a draft that was written before the new editor.

Can you provide some more details regarding why you can’t post? Is it because the New Editor actually won’t allow you to post (you receive an error) or because you dislike the New Editor and will not post from it?

Larry, your suggestion to go to .wordpress/wp-admin takes me only to a “quick draft” page, w/o even an option to publish, but only “save draft” and when I try to open the draft to work on it, there is that dad-blamed new editor.

Can you try following these steps?

1. Start on this page: http://wallpaperlady.wordpress.com/wp-admin

2. On the left-hand side of the page, hover over “Posts” and click “Add New” as shown here: http://d.pr/i/J10l

That will take you to the Classic Editor. You can use the “All Posts” link in the same menu to view all of your posts.

musicdoc1

@ jeremeyduvall,

Regarding the revisions issue, since the number of revisions is not related to the new editor, let’s move this to a new thread (hard to follow everything here). I’ll email you directly.

The number of revisions? My recent post regarding revisions did not concern the number of revisions unless you mean the number zero, nada, no revisions at all vs. having some revisions. The post was a reminder that the issue of whether the revisions are essential, as several members including myself argued on pages 8 and 9 of this thread, vs. your suggestion that they are seldom used and therefore expendable, has yet to be addressed.
    The question regarding the limit to the number of revisions on the classic editor and on pages is a separate issue. Important, but less so.

musicdoc1

As I’ve reminded you a couple of times, you started this ball rolling on page 7 with the following,

Revisions will not be included in the New Editor. Could you let us know how often you find yourself using revisions and the circumstance that causes you to revert to a revision? Personally, I rarely find myself using post revisions.

As I explained on page 13 and page 17 Several of us countered your cursory dismissal of revisions, “Personally, I rarely find myself using post revisions,” each with arguments that revisions are very important, indispensable features which we count upon regularly and often in our normal work flow.

wpvins

dandelionsalad wrote:

Most WP users have no idea even where the Forums are located and on the “new, too-blue” WP pages there isn’t a link to the Forums at the bottom like on the classic WP Admin. pages.

That’s why I’ve just blogged [as did diaryofdennis/] about it on my blog and asked my readers to re-blog. I suggest we all do the same.

@jeremeylduvall

The only documentation regarding publishing posts that I can find, mentions the dumbed-down editor and the Dashboard editor. For example.

Another way to publish posts is in your dashboard by going to Posts >> Add New. This will pull up the Post Screen, which is where the magic will happen! This is the place to go when you want to publish something longer or more complex. This dashboard editor is similar to the editor in your Reader — it works a lot like your favorite word processing software, and you can insert a title and tags — but it allows you to do much more.

Question 1: Is there any documentation of BBB?

Question 2: Does WP still believe that the “magic” starts with the Classic Editor (because) it allows you to do much more (when you want to publish something longer or more complex.)

Suggestion: When editing an old post, the editor used to perform the previous update is used.

jeremeyduvall asks:

Could you let us know how often you find yourself using revisions and the circumstance that causes you to revert to a revision? Personally, I rarely find myself using post revisions.

My blog is about science. In a sense, all of it — over 5,000 posts — is one long argument. What I’m saying is that it’s not a bunch of disjointed teenage babbling, for which Beep Beep Boop is designed.

I often link back to earlier posts, and I often update earlier posts. It’s impossible to do that if I have to go to the dashboard and find them in the “all posts” list. But it’s very convenient to do if I’m already looking at the old post and only need to hit “Edit” from the admin bar. Why would your programmers knowingly make this site less convenient to use?

musicdoc1

@knashermac2009,

However, if the classic editor was “magic” and was for complex stuff, how can that have changed?

The perceived “magic” of anything is volatile. It might have been replaced by something better able to handle complex jobs. If that were the case, then the classic editor would now seem, in comparison, less impressive than it did a couple of years ago. It wasn’t replaced by something better, but WordPress wants everyone to believe so.

musicdoc1

We know the new editor is naked as an emperor, but the WP staff sees it arrayed in the finest silk garments and bedecked with precious jewels.

nykeypad

Lots of comments. Hope WP listens.

davidderrick

My blog is about science. In a sense, all of it — over 5,000 posts — is one long argument. What I’m saying is that it’s not a bunch of disjointed teenage babbling, for which Beep Beep Boop is designed.

Echoed. I have the same approach and hence the same points to make. My blog is about history and all 3000 posts are (in theory) work in progress. I go back to many of them frequently.

davidderrick

Interestingly, today is the day the BBC launched its dumbed-down news website, which was designed, exactly like WP’s changes, on the assumption that we do everything from mobile phones in Starbucks. It looks disastrous: visually, the WP editor is at least acceptable, even if functionality has been forgotten.

nykeypad

Please stop sending me follow up email. I unchecked the box. Thank you.

tpenguinltg

@nykeypad

Please stop sending me follow up email. I unchecked the box. Thank you.

For future reference, there’s a link on the right sidebar that says “Unsubscribe to Topic”.

I’m subscribed to this thread’s RSS feed. I don’t know why, but I can tolerate feed items more than email messages for these things. But I digress.

occu77

Indeed. This could be easily repaired and totally resolved by simply reinstalling a simple-link (as others have stated over and over and over again) which is an amazingly easy solution to what would have been a non-problem had the link not been removed.

It is also not an improved posting experience, no matter how many times WordPress falsely proclaims that proposition, nor is it an improved editor by any objective standard.

Employing the new editor (which I will not use) is a very inferior posting experience, with a much less versatile and much less capable editor.

Again the entire problem could be instantly resolved by re-establishing the prior link or simply writing in an improved link. Not an entire new structure, not a voluminous act of coding and reprogramming, but simply by providing a short link on site. Something my fifteen year old daughter could easily do for the company. Pro Bono.

This is simple-mindedness itself and the entire problem is self-created and easy to resolve. The only obstacle to the Actual Solution is not technological incapacity, or the flood of a billion words of corrective advice, it is merely stubborn and petty psychological Geekery of the most juvenile kind.

If I had employees who took this long to resolve such a simple and easily corrected and totally cost-inconsequential matter I’d fire them on the spot.

The topic ‘Please Reinstate the Option of Choice to Use the Old Publishing Format’ is closed to new replies.