Please Reinstate the Option of Choice to Use the Old Publishing Format

• Author

galois

Thanks @tpenguinltg.
    Apart from the rather disconcerting “oops this page didn’t load” message everything is fine.

buttoni

Well at least I can get to the old editor via WPadmin, Posts, All Posts, Edit. But that doesn’t fix my lack of underlining and lack of colored text capabilty I lost. I have an existing page with colored text (green) (Where to Buy Unusual low-carb ingredients) and now I can no longer put newly added items on the list in GREEN! Can’t put a baking cautionary note in RED! Totally dufus move, WP! You’re not winning any friends amongst your existing customers THIS way. I suspect every single recipe blogger here is P.O.’d that every time they pull up the new editor to revise/edit an error on a recipe, half the time their recipe ingredients are in paragraph format and they have to reinstate all those carriage returns. So not helpful, that. And it randomly pulls the recipes up right sometimes, so the jumbling can’t even be predicted!. Good job! I’m suppose to be happy it occasionally DOESN’T delete the carriage returns and jumble the recipe up?

musicdoc1

@ nikkitytom

The old stats page allowed me to access all six of my blogs with a simple drop down menu … and all conveniently appeared in the stats format. In other words I could check all my stats in a series of single clicks. Now in the “new improved upgraded stats” page I can’t. I have to go back to “My Sites” then click onto the new site, then click again onto that site stats and then finally wobble my way to the info I need.

The drop-down menu of your websites above the graph on the two old stats pages are preferable, I agree, but the process is not as difficult on the new stats page as you describe. You don’t have to go back to “My Sites” (which btw is the stats page), and click onto the new site, etc. The way to change to the stats page for another site is to click on the “Switch Site” link which displays all of your websites. Then choose any site to display the corresponding stats.

On another note, though the phrase “Happiness Engineer” might seem inappropriate in the present case, it is not an example of an oxymoron. “Miserable happiness” would be an oxymoron.

hopnut

@buttoni

I can no longer UNDERLINE a word, I can no longer CHANGE TEXT TO COLORED TEXT (unacceptabe)

I think you need to click on the Toolbar Toggle button, which will give you the options you are missing.
    It is the far right button on the toolbar, next to the fullscreen button.

This will give you a range of additional options.

buttoni

Thank you, Hopnut. Not sure how that toggled back for me, or when. Yes, that brings up the other features that had vanished. I thought that turned the bar simple on/off. I appreciate your response. :)

hopnut

@buttoni

A pleasure.

I think the toolbar is off by default (beggars belief) – mine was until I figured out how to turn it on. Once on, it seems to remain on.

Why the hell anybody would want it off is beyond me.
    Or, more to the point, why anybody at WP would think anybody would want it off (by default) is beyond me.

silencer137

I am working in a not-that-small Open Source Project myself and recently we tried to reinvent our “Classic Editior” to a “What you See is What you Get”-Editor, just like WordPress is doing ist right now.

After one year of hard work I can say: IT IS A DISASTER. Honestly: Never, ever try to implement such an editor in your software. It ALWAYS causes trouble and problems.

So please, WP, let people at least choose which Editor they want to use – I know for sure I will keep going with Classic.

nikkitytom

The bottom line is what my Mother used to say when I argued a point … “Put your money where your mouth is ..”

If these developers and designers are so convinced that their new changes are “updates” and “improvements” then they should have the confidence to give us a choice. If they are correct, then we’ll all migrate to the new versions “happily”.

But they don’t even give us time to review and discuss. Boop boop bleep … the changes are foisted on us overnight and we discover them when our blogs can no longer be edited or accessed in the usual way.

And NO one has been able to give us a cogent reason for why choice is being given. We get some “happiness” engineer telling us that “we’re not going to restore the old version”. No reason … nothing. Just the same canned response from someone who can actually tolerate the title of “happiness engineer” as they parrot the same lines. Beep Boop Bop … this is ridiculous!

wpvins

@nikkitytom
    I fully agree with you.
    The absolutely stupid “beep beep boop” that appears before you even see the editor exactly qualifies what you get once the editor appears: utter nonsense! And “beep beep boop” then, in consequence, also qualifies the developers.

timethief

@nikkitytom

And NO one has been able to give us a cogent reason for why choice is being given.

Staff are hell bent on developing a new editor. I don’t confuse the ability to provide cogent reasoning for the refusal to restore the classic editor link to the new editor with reluctance to disclose the rationale for the treatment we have received as unwitting and unwilling guinea pigs being compelled to test and improve their new substandard product. Clearly, they believe restoring the classic editor link would defeat their purpose which is to promote the new editor.

From here on out I will tag every thread that is focused on issues with the new Beep Beep Boop editor with modlook for Staff and let them respond directly to those bloggers who post these threads.

baranara

Right then. As of today it seems I can’t click “edit” without having to deal with the horribly deficient new editor. Heading over to tpenguinltgs script asap, thank you so much in advance!

Does anyone else get a migraine from the new editors design? Not figuratively speaking now, I actually feel as if I am about to get one of my bad migraines for real, every time I look at the new design I feel kind of dizzy, there’s something bad going on with the contrasts and all. So it’s really, really annoying having it pop up every time I click edit…

musicdoc1

@ timethief,

Clearly, they believe restoring the classic editor link would defeat their purpose which is to promote the new editor.

That’s it, in a nutshell. It’s just standard business practice when a decision has been made to put the money behind and the spotlight upon the new product, and discontinue support and promotion of the old. They want long-term members to forget the classic editor as quickly as possible, and aim to help them do so by redirecting them away from it and to the new.

The tactic works more seamlessly for more recent members because they may have not yet grown attached to the old editor, while new members are likely to not even be aware that there was a previous option. If these two classes (new and recent members) are predominant in terms of volume or usage, then not providing the option, or even informing members of the option, to switch to the classic editor makes good business sense, as long as they can accomplish this without losing a significant percentage of the long timers. Isolated complaints carry virtually no weight. Fifty or a hundred disgruntled veterans expressing their dismay won’t be enough to turn the tide. If there are thousands unhappy about the change, and each let their displeasure be known, then we have a chance. If…and maybe there are tens of thousands, as someone suggested a few pages ago, but when will we hear from them?

Most of us would like to be informed ahead of time of planned changes, and some would like to have a hand in determining if and when changes are made, but it doesn’t follow that the provider of the service is obligated to inform us of changes before they are introduced, or let us help decide when or if changes are to be made. It may be questioned whether acting in this manner is ethical.

Rather than complain about how we have would have preferred WordPress to act and behave regarding the willful imposition of the new editor, I think our energy would be better spent by individually rejecting the new editor (if we prefer the classic), refusing to use or visit it, and informing others of the numerous ways in which the classic editor is superior to the new one.

musicdoc1 says:

If there are thousands unhappy about the change, and each let their displeasure be known, then we have a chance. If…and maybe there are tens of thousands, as someone suggested a few pages ago, but when will we hear from them?

I was quite outspoken in this forum last year, when Beep Beep Boop first appeared, but I calmed down after we were told that the classic editor would remain an option. Now it seems that they’re trying to gradually squeeze us all away from the classic editor. That will never happen, because Beep Beep Boop is totally unacceptable.

I’ll leave if the classic editor isn’t readily available. But I don’t bother posting about it (except for this comment) because, after following several of these threads, it’s obvious that they don’t care.

galois

Hello everyone. I had an idea.
    If anyone we report faults with the “new editor” and never use it, what would happen?

timethief

Nothing.

galois

TT: at least we will not help developers improve that crap.

timethief

@galois
    Are you kidding?

It’s clear that Staff will be glad to receive any and all feedback in how to improve their “baby” ie. the new editor. That is done by use sharing what those who use it actually experience when using it.

It’s also clear that Staff are monitoring our use of both editors as jeremeylduvall said so previously. It was the 6 months of that monitoring that resulted in the removal of the link to the classic editor from the new editor.

galois

TT: I understand your point, but I refuse to collaborate in the development and improvement of that crap.

Perhaps, or certainly, I’m a “dreamer”.

ennustuksia

This is my first post in this forums and I’d like to tell too that I WANT THE GOOD OLD EDITOR.

Beep boop boop editor is bad.

The topic ‘Please Reinstate the Option of Choice to Use the Old Publishing Format’ is closed to new replies.