Photos will not upload to Media Library anymore

• When trying to upload photos from my PC to Media Library there will only appear the photoname, no photo. This happens in approx. 70% of the cases. Hence in 30% of the cases it functions well. This started to happen this week while creating a new blog episode. Even worse: around 70% of the already uploaded photos have dissappeared in a similar way. Hence they vanished from Media Library and from the Blog posts when you open them. I’m starting to get in a slight panic here as I put a lot of effort in this blog every week.
    I’m a standard user and have used 80% of the 3Gb space.
    Desperate for some help. Thanks in advance, Andre Huizing

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there,

Can you give us the link to your posts where the photos won’t show but only the names, to help us review this issue further?

Thanks,
    Gideon

• Hi there, I see that someone has tagged this thread for Staff assistance. Thank you for your patience while they get back to you. This is also a holiday weekend for some so replies may take a little longer than usual.

You may wish to subscribe to this forum thread through the link in the forum thread sidebar to be notified of their reply.

While we are waiting, please provide links to the blog posts where images are missing.

Also, are you the only admin or editor on the site?

Does someone else have access to your computer when you are not around?

• Off-topic/ I would like to mention that the images you are uploading are much larger than they need to be. Doing so will reduce your storage space needlessly and cause your page to load much slower for visitors. For example, in this post https://mrbean2blog.wordpress.com/2015/11/19/het-grote-plan-en-de-voorbereidingen/ the first image in that post “747 met houten stuur” was uploaded at 5376 pixels wide by 3024 pixels high and 4.1MB! It is being displayed however, much much smaller than that.

Have a look at this support guide to learn more on resizing and optimizing images https://en.support.wordpress.com/media/image-optimization/

A good overall size to aim for is 1600 pixels wide, which will also fulfill the requirements of any social networks (until they change them again).

Let me know if you have any other question about this.
    /Off-topic

• It seems to work again!! That makes me very happy although I’m still very curious what happened here. On my side nothing has changed apart from the fact that my internet connection has changed from Mobile 4G to WiFi. That has happened a lot in the past without any problem. We are sailing on our boat so the connection is shifting quite a lot but was also good when we had the problems.

An example link is: https://mrbean2blog.wordpress.com/2017/06/22/tourists-bloody-tourists/
    but the problem was basically in every blog post on mrbean2blog and in the new post I was trying to create.

Thanks very much for your effort! Andre Huizing

• Thanks for coming back and letting us know. Happy sailing.

• Hello Andre,

Your issue sounds it’s based on your internet connection. When an image cannot be loaded, only it’s alternative tag will be visible instead. Thus instead of the picture you’ll see the name of the picture.

It’s worth mentioning that wireless connections in general are heavily affected by humidity. Also, the speed of the WiFi connection is related to the amount of active users of the same network. If the harbour WiFi you’re connected to has a 10 Mbps plan, but 50 connected devices, then every device will have a speed of 0,2 Mbps. So you might see a full WiFi signal, but the signal might be weak.

Let us know if that issue remains when you’re back home and enjoy your sailing trip!

Best,
    Niels

• Thanks for all the help and tips. Will certainly look into the size of pictures thing as I burn fast through my space like this.
    And for the “returning home”…our boat is our home :)

Cheers, André

• this might be as a result of your network being unable to upload pictures into your media library when done in batches. have you tried uploading the pictures one at a time?
    http://www.naijadailyfeed.com

• Goodmorning,
    It’s still working fine! However, based on your tips, I have been looking into the sizing of my photo’s. Not in the least because I’m getting close to the 3Gb storage limit.
    For my recent posts I have used PIXresizer to decrease the size of the photo’s. This works perfectly also in batch mode.
    My question is: How can I resize the photo’s already in the Media library in a simple batch mode way…without having to do it photo by photo?

Thanks in advance for your tips!

André

• The topic ‘Photos will not upload to Media Library anymore’ is closed to new replies.