Photos not aligning/sizing right

• Author

When I write a new entry, I mainly post photos via URL, so as to save media space. Every now and then, I’ll go through an old entry and see that the photo is gone because the URL is dead.

When I replace it with another URL photo, everything’s fine. But when I UPLOAD a replacement photo, WordPress will only show the photo in its original (large) size. No matter how align the photo and resize it in the editor, it always shows up in the entry proper as large and centred.

This is really annoying me now.

The blog I need help with is thethinkingmansidiot.wordpress.com.

aleone89
    Staff

Hello there,

Happy to help you with this.

Are you able to provide an example of a post whereby the photo upload is showing as large please?

Generally speaking this doesn’t sound abnormal, but it would be good to retrace some steps and make some suggestions.

Many thanks in advance.

Here’s one: https://thethinkingmansidiot.wordpress.com/2020/02/21/y2k-by-killing-my-lobster/

The larger photos on the lower-half of the post used to be URL photos and aligned to the left or right. When those links went dead, I replaced them with uploads. Now, they won’t align left or right, now will they shrink – no matter how many times I specifically do that in the WordPress editor.

Hi there,

The alignment looks to be working on my end once I change the image size:

Please let me know if that is what you are doing and if you are still having trouble.

Thanks!

That one photo seems to take to the left-aligning and shrinking, but the two below it aren’t.

Again, this isn’t the first time this has happened and it’s usually when I replace a photo with an upload.

Hmm that is surprising. I checked the two images below and it seems I am able to also resize them without issue: You can see in my video at this link: https://d.pr/v/O4h8OX

To clarify, you do not see the option (in the sidebar) to pick the sizes other than large? Or is the issue that you change them, and they appear changed in the editor view, but when you try to save the changes they are not saved?

Also can you tell us a bit more about the process you use to “replace” a broken image via URL with an uploaded image? Do you delete the image block that contains the broken image and start over with a fresh block? or is it the case that you are keeping the existing block, but using the option (within the block settings) to replace the broken image with the newly uploaded one instead? Do you upload the new image to the media library before you fix the image in the post? or do you upload the image directly in the editor while you are fixing the post?

Thanks for the additional info!

Hi again,

One followup question if that is OK. When you add the uploaded image (to replace the broken one) it sounds like you are not able to pick the smaller sizes. This is a change you are making at the time of editing, yes?

Are you able to revisit the post after you have saved the initial larger images, and then resize them in a second step as I have shown in my video? Thanks for the additional info!

No, I did see the option to resize and align in the block itself as I’m editing.

I resize and align to one side or another, which appears to work in the block whilst I’m editing… but does not take hold in the preview or Publish.

And no, I don’t delete the block to replace, I just choose the “Replace” option and upload the photo.

What about editing the image sizes/alignments after the fact? For example on https://wordpress.com/post/thethinkingmansidiot.wordpress.com/4834 are you able to edit the two replacement images at all? I seem to be able to do it as shown in my video, but it sounds like that is not working for you either?

Thanks for clarifying.

Yes, I’ve been doing that for the longest time now, but it still doesn’t take in the preview or Published version. That’s why I came to this forum in the first place.

aleone89
    Staff

Hello there,

Many thanks for that additional information.

I’ve taken a look at the theme and it looks like the theme is retired: https://wordpress.com/theme/suburbia which means it may not be block editor compatible.

Retired themes are no longer supported or fixed when they go wrong.

To help us confirm if this is a theme issue, are you able to create a new free site on the account, and see if the behaviour is replicable on non-retired theme please.

If it’s not, you may need to consider using a new theme.

Many thanks in advance.

The topic ‘Photos not aligning/sizing right’ is closed to new replies.