Now you can reblog the whole article of other bloggers? I hope this is a bug…

• Author

jblz
    Staff

@ifmomsaysok:

themes such as Expound, Bushwick and Columnist…Do I still have to do that myself, or is it done for me by the theme default

The excerpting for the home page in themes such as those still automatically truncate to a specific number of words and only include text. If you visit the reblogged post, however, it will show richer content, such as images and embedded video.

jblz
    Staff

@shoreacres:

I do not want to truncate the post on my home page with a “more” tag in order to set the length of reblogged content

The goal is for you to not have to.

As I’ve said — we’re still working on it :)

shoreacres

@jblz ~ Thank you so much. Appreciate the note of clarification.

ifmomsaysok

@jblz… thanks for the reply. Glad to hear about the text, but was hoping to keep images from being reblogged along with it, since the bulk of my content is photos.

Appreciate all the staff’s hard work on this issue.

justjennifer

@jblz-glad to hear the bit about not having to use the “more” tag. Looking forward to further developments.

Just a friendly inquiry… Is the issue still on the to do list? I reblogged content again from one of my blogs to one of my private test blogs and I can still count about 234 words of reblogged content.

justjennifer

And now that it’s been a week, I’ve just looked through the web to compare a WordPress.com reblog of a popular post with non-WPcom sites that have also republished the same content. Whereas a WordPress.com reblog is still around 280 words, the other websites go anywhere from two sentences up to a paragraph of the same post.

http://paper.li/Scobleizer/tech-company-executives?edition_id=e457d350-9412-11e3-bc34-0025907210e8

http://hackers.tgdaily.com/rt/hackers_tech/on-a-mission/50387563704577676c4c34572b6c7a557665646e77413d3d

http://30dna.com/on-a-mission/

http://www.brianvellmure.com/2014/02/14/this-weeks-best-content-february-10-through-14-2014-2/

Now, compare those to a reblog on a WordPress.com website.

Still needs work, thanks.

jblz
    Staff

Just a friendly inquiry… Is the issue still on the to do list?

Yes.

timethief

So glad to know this important issue has not been forgotten.

auxclass

I Reblogged a recipe to my misc. site from another WordPress.COM blog – 155 words and two pictures, i.e. everything to the More Tag, I am assuming that the entire article would have came over if the More Tag was not present – I did not want the extra picture and the text was more than required or I really wanted.

so yes still some work required

timethief

@jblz
    This may sound strange but can we be assured that this WordPress.com reblogging feature is not connected with CoPromote (formerly headliner.fm), which has a ToS that none of us Volunteers I will agree to?

jblz
    Staff

@timethief: no connection.

timethief

@jblz
    Good to know and thanks for answering me.

justjennifer

@jblz – Thanks for bringing down the length of a text reblog. The reblog on my test site is now down to about 148 words, which I think is still too long, but certainly better than the original 280 words when we started out.

Is this now considered the final iteration for the text reblog or can we expect to see further changes?

Also, as far as images in reblogs go, I do hope that someone is working on minimizing the image transfer to the reblogger’s Media Library to only the images used in the reblog and not every single image in the reblogged post, as described by raincoaster in this forum thread and which I blogged about here.

timethief

Still no answers here but Staff have now published this http://dailypost.wordpress.com/2014/03/25/reblogging/

@jblz
    I would like answers to these questions please:
    1. I want the ability to control exactly how many words are reblogged as per my copyright policy. Why do users not have that ability now?

2. I want the ability to select exactly which image if any at all will appear in the reblog and appear in my Media Library. Why do users not have that ability now?

3. I want the ability to disable the reblog link in the Reader as well as the like link and the sharing links. Why do users not have that ability now?

4. I want a clear answer from Staff about reblogs and stats. When a reblog link, which I cannot disable from displaying in the Reader, is clicked does that create page view stat on the blog it was reblogged from? Why is that not made clear to us in the support documentation on reblogs and stats entries?

jblz
    Staff

Apologies all: I’ve been afk.

@timethief: The short answer for almost all that is simply it hasn’t been built.

@justjennifer:

Is this now considered the final iteration for the text reblog or can we expect to see further changes?

Nothing is ever the final iteration! We’re still working on optimizing the way text & media are handled in reblogging.

shoreacres

This is not a criticism, at all — I’m grinning. But it is a reminder that not all of us live in the world of acronyms. I haven’t a clue what “afk” might be, but I hope it wasn’t too bad, and that you’re over it now. Or whatever. ;)

jblz
    Staff

ha :)

“Away From Keyboard” i.e. on vacation — definitely not over it!

justjennifer

@jeff- OK, then, welcome back, but please get a move on. “-)

Seriously though, if there was a way for the original content creator to:
    1. Set the word/image limit for a reblog
    2. Need to approve a reblog before it appeared elsewhere, much like pingback approval

and if Staff could guarantee that WPcom would remove images transferred to the reblogger’s Media Library without the original content creators’ knowledge or agreement

my happiness would shine like the sun and my love for WPcom would grow like the myriad wildflowers blooming in an Israeli spring.

timethief

@jblz

@timethief: The short answer for almost all that is simply it hasn’t been built.

When Staff create a new feature they make decisions.
    Decisions are based on facts and an underlying rationale.
    The first iteration of the reblogging feature was implemented in 2010 – 4 years ago
    May we expect that what I asked for here https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/now-you-can-reblog-the-whole-article-of-other-bloggers-i-hope-this-is-a-bug/page/2?replies=37#post-1710382 is going to be built in the near future, or not?

The topic ‘Now you can reblog the whole article of other bloggers? I hope this is a bug…’ is closed to new replies.