new feature – automatically enter a copyright notice into every published post

• This is a request for Staff to create a new feature or to install a plugin that will automatically enter a copyright notice into every published post on every blog wherein the blogger chooses to select the option to do so.

I have been so peeved off at the content thieves who suck my blogging time away from content creation and make me spend it on DMCA takedown notices that I have been and will continue to post these right after “the more tag” I place after the first 55 words in all of my posts:

© All Rights Reserved – Any content reblogged from one cool site must adhere to the terms of © Copyright

© All Rights Reserved Any content reblogged from this time – this space must adhere to the terms ofCopyright

As my two blogs are long established and have 953 Posts and 724 Posts, respectively, what I want now is the ability to have what I posted above retroactively inserted into each and everyone of my posts. Doing the old posts manually one post at a time would be even an even worse timesuck.

• I want to support this idea. I had this in mind a few months ago. I saw selfhosted blogs that usually have an area under the main content where they include additional informations or like in your idea copyright informations.

I really like the idea. Could be useful for many things but the first that comes to mind is indeed a copyright information that we could include under each post.

It would be indeed a lot of work if you want to include anything like this on each article of a blog that has already hundreds or thousands of posts. A retroactively fill out form in the dashboard that counts for each post, would be just great.

Hope this idea comes on the to do list.

• @diaryofdennis
    Then you can use Press This to spread the word to your Readers and they can post into this thread to express their support.

Press This

• Going back to edit past posts to include/exclude something is really quite a chore when there are many posts involved. (I still have removing my “Get Social” icons from my older posts on my list of things to do in my next lifetime.) Being able to automate such a process would be great.

Thanks for suggesting it, tt.

• Could you not do that with the Custom Design upgrade?

• Sure, I will set up an article about this idea later and share it on my blogs. I really hope this thread will get more attention.

• @raincoaster

Could you not do that with the Custom Design upgrade?

I don’t know and don’t care, regardless of the answer. My request stands. WordPress.com provided the reblog feature and mobile readers can read full posts in the Reader despite the insertion of the more tag and despite the summary setting on the RSS Feed.
    https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/wordpresscom-reader-show-full-text?replies=31#post-1373606

So WordPress.com Staff can insert the required plugin if they choose to do so or they can provide another means of accomplishing it.

• Agreed with timethief 100%. Besides, not everyone has the upgrade, but imo, everyone has a right to protect their content. Can’t make people pay for that…

• Would be a nice feature. Slow a few folks down, but honest people will stay honest and slim will keep stealing content.

One slime at Blogger took all of one of my Posts, I did a DMCA and they took their own pictures that looked exactly like mine, but left the text, 2nd DMCA to Blogger and he changed the lead paragraph but left the rest, so yes need to do a THIRD DMCA, Blogger is just a big slime ball

• I would support the copyright recommendation too. I purposely disabled the reblog button on my site, and have set my posts to summary. I didn’t know that neither had no effect on Reader notices.

Having to pay for an upgrade just to protect my content seems punitive.

• Love the retroactive component of timethief’s suggestion. I’d never thought beyond wishing our writing space was a template, where we could have a copyright line already inserted at the top or bottom of every post we write (Blogger used to offer that; don’t know if they still do). But that would only help going forward.

• Frankly, I don’t think it will have ANY quantifiable effect on people who steal content. A banner at the top of each post saying “If you see this content on any site but Thissite.wordpress.com it has been stolen” will have an effect, but there is no way in hell WP.com staff would ever make that a default choice.
    I work with knowing content thieves and hackers every day. It’s my job. I know that “please respect our rights” has no effect but embarrassing them does.

• True, raincoaster. Just as locks only keep out honest people, copyright notices only deter honest people.

• but embarrassing them does.

When I helped at the WordPress.ORG forum, one trick used by some to slow down content & image thieves was to change the images. At .ORG you have FTP access to all the image files, so some people would change the image in their Post to a new file name but the old image. Then they would put a new image to the old file name (same exact size and all) – big white image with “this picture stolen from my-site.com without permission”

Worked from time to time

• Since I started using what I posted above immediately after the 55 word teaser and the more tag

© All Rights Reserved – Any content reblogged from one cool site must adhere to the terms of © Copyright

© All Rights Reserved Any content reblogged from this time – this space must adhere to the terms of Copyright

the content theft I experience has been reduced.

• The topic ‘new feature – automatically enter a copyright notice into every published post’ is closed to new replies.