New Blog – Retired Theme

• Hello everyone! I want in advance to ask you to please bear with me if I am asking already asked questions.

Here is the story: I created this blog – My Inner Observer – originally in 2014. Then, lead by emotionally driven stupidity, I deleted it. And now, recently, through an amazing stroke of luck, I was able to recreate the url. I take responsibility for my own decision to delete the blog. I realize that it was me, who hit that button. Yes, you do warn us about the process being irreversible. But I nowhere saw the warning of losing access to older/retired themes.

I don’t like most of the new updated themes – too bold and big fonted for me. Too wide, etc. I like the classic simple blog style – Pilcrow, Origin, etc. I know Pilcrow is not responsive, but it was a very beautiful theme. I wonder why such themes are not being updated instead of retired.

My question is: is there a way for me to gain access to older themes through this blog? Is there a way to turn back the time so to speak? As if I never deleted the blog? It is the same url as the original, so I was wondering if this was possible?

I found an archived page of my blog in Google Archives and felt even more stupid for deleting it? So is there anything that can be done or I am stuck with the new themes?

Thank you very much in advance! For the patience and the time!

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi,

Essentially, retired free and premium themes are only available on sites created before they were retired. However, the privilege to use a retired premium theme, on a site created before it was retired, is lost when you switch to another theme.

• Hi, thank you for replying.

Basically the themes, that I am stuck with, that I really like are the early Twenties(2010, 2011, 2012). From the rest I can only choose what I least dislike. Unfortunately, most themes of my liking are gone. If I had known, that one loses access to them by deleting a blog, I would have never deleted one.

Thank you. I hope someone from the stuff replies with some hope or puts in total despair lol :)

• You’re welcome. I have a couple of old unused sites that were created before Pilcrow and Origin were retired. I’ve just added Pilcrow to one and Origin to the other. You may have these sites if you’re interested. Let me know and I’ll transfer them to you. After transfer of ownership you may change the URLs of the sites, the site titles, etc.

• Unfortunately, I won’t be able to use it on the site I started this thread for, because the url is already created. It was a miracle to be able to retrieve it again after it was deleted. I am not a serious blogger and I like to blog on several free blogs simultaneously, so I would gladly take your offer, but only one blog – let’s not be greedy lol – who knows, you might need the other one in future just like me. I would like the Pilcrow one. Are you absolutely sure about this? :) I will think of something else to blog on it. Do you want your old url? I can change it and reserve it and transfer back, but the access to themes will be like the one of a new blog.

If you are absolutely sure – my email/username is: (email visible only to moderators and staff)

And thank you very much! It will be like a journey in the past :)

• Have you checked out Colinear? https://colineardemo.wordpress.com/ It’s quite similar to Pilcrow, but it’s responsive, with modern typography – so it’ll be readable on mobile devices. You’ll be doing your readers a service by using a modern theme, allowing them to read it comfortably on any device. You can also adjust font size in the Customizer, in any theme.

• It won’t allow me to post my email. Suggestions? :)

• Post by email isn’t dependent on a particular theme – have you followed the guide here to set it up?

Post by Email

This is where you’d enable it:

https://myinnerobserver.wordpress.com/wp-admin/index.php?page=my-blogs

• @kathrynwp Colinear was my choice and I am using it currently. I am not a serious blogger, as I mentioned in the previous comment :) I am blogging for personal pleasure and personal reasons due to certain way of life. Not many readers lol

Regarding font size in customizer – it is not very convenient for users, if it was somewhere between 12px through 18px instead of tiny, normal, large, etc. it would have been much better. I have tried customizing many theme fonts, but it is either too tiny or too big.

Thank you for replying. :)

Something is strange about my blog, because as I said, I once deleted it and then recreated it with the same url. When I wanted to change site icon, it was not in the Customizer, but in the settings (the way it used to be). It also appeared with its old site icon (may be because it was hosted outside WordPressCom). So that is why I hoped I could somehow regain access to the old themes, because of the revived url, which is not like a brand new one.

Cheers! :) )))

• @kathrynwp Sorry, it was a misunderstanding. I posted before I saw your comment. I meant the forum will not allow me to post my email. It was addressed to the other person commenting regarding blog transfer.

• It also appeared with its old site icon (may be because it was hosted outside WordPressCom).

Site icons – aka “favicons” – that appear in places like browser tabs are heavily cached by browsers, so they can be very slow to update. Here are some suggested ways of refreshing the favicon cache in Chrome: http://www.nullalo.com/en/how-to-delete-google-chrome-favicon-cache/

Access to retired themes is based on blog ID. Since your site is newly created, it has a new blog ID, and there isn’t a way to access retired themes on it, since it’s treated as a new site, regardless of the URL.

• @1aspiringyogini,

so I would gladly take your offer, but only one blog… I would like the Pilcrow one.

Okay. : )

who knows, you might need the other one in future just like me.

Perhaps. I’ve got a lot of test sites, and inactive sites, but there not in chronological order according to date created, so it’s a bit of pain to know which might be useful for a certain retire theme. A finding the retirement date of a theme is another chore. But don’t worry, I can definitely spare these two.

Are you absolutely sure about this?

Yes.

Do you want your old url?

No thanks. The reason these two are available is because I changed the name/numbering system on my test site URLs.

Transfer is completed. Enjoy it! :)

P.S. The site visibility is presently set on private.

• Sorry about all those typos:

there = they’re
    retire = retired
    A finding = And finding

• Thank you! It would be really useful if this is a part of the warnings when one decides to delete a blog. No access to previous themes. Many bloggers don’t know this. They delete a site that had access to older themes, the same day create a new one and find out that they no longer can access the themes. Yes, it is stupid to delete, but we all do and have done it.

I was able to change site icon. No problem with that. What surprised me is that it didn’t happen through the Customizer, but through the old way we used to do it, on the wp-admin dashboard on the settings. Anyway, no problem.

I just had to ask this question about the old themes. Colinear it is! :)
    No longer taking off your time. Best wishes! :)

Regards, Victoria

• I transferred only the Pilcrow theme to you. It’s URL is https://sbstage02.wordpress.com/.

• My previous comment was @@kathrynwp

• @musicdoc1 Thank you very much!!! I could not post my email. How did you make the transfer? Anyway, I have access now! Thank you!

• Victoria,

You’re welcome! : )

My previous comment was @@kathrynwp

Okay. You should be able to modify the site icon on a theme either via the old way at WP Admin or the via My Blogs > Customizer, but I’ll let @kathrynwp respond to that and your other issues. You may ddd a “modlook” tag to the sidebar at right here if she doesn’t come back soon.

• No, it’s all OK and clear now. I will even tag it Resolved. Obviously no way back to old themes unless someone gifts you their blog :D Thank you! Thinking of a new name already :) ))

• The topic ‘New Blog – Retired Theme’ is closed to new replies.