New Admin Bar on our WordPress.com Homepage

• Since it has been more than 12 hours since I first mentioned this in the forums and at that time this new feature was being worked on, I would now like to point out that this new blue Admin bar on the WordPress.com homepage lacks the ability (at least in Chrome 23) to click on it and be brought back to the top of the page. When in any of the homepage tabs that have infinite scroll, this is an absolute must!

Also, as another user pointed out in the forum thread I linked to above, getting to the Dashboard of a particular blog when on the WordPress.com homepage now takes extra clicks since you can no longer use the dropdown menu from our gravatar icon to get there directly.

Personally, I would much prefer to have a consistent UE and site navigation as with the current gray Admin bar everywhere else on WordPress.com.

As an aside, I notice that when posting a new thread in the forums, one has the option of receiving followup posts via e-mail. Why not give this option on the “Contact Support” form, since in any event the majority of posts submitted there end up in the forums?

• it works fine for me, and im oon chrome 23 as well

• Sorry, catezapp, don’t quite understand what works fine for you. Can you be more specific?

• Hi @justjennifer – thank you for the detailed list!

I notice that when I’m on my own Newdash, I can scroll down the page (I was on Stats), and click on “WordPress” on the blue bar and I come back up to the top. Is that not working for you?

I see your point on the manage my blogs/viewing your blogs bit.

And good question on the contact support form! I don’t know the answer, but I will make the suggestion :)

• @zandyring-Moot point now as the blue Admin bar seems to have disappeared. :)

• Hi JJ,

I talked to the staff, and they said they did a sneak-preview trial with a few lucky users, and will re-release after additional tweaks when they’re ready for the final to be released.

• Imagine my curmudgeonly joy. :/ Although you haven’t said it, hopefully this chunky blue Admin bar will be limited to the WordPress.com homepage.

Regardless, thanks for passing along my suggestion about the addition of a “Notify me by email” to the Contact Support form for those of us who do not yet have paid upgrades and for those that do who choose to post their Support request in the Staff Answers forum.

• You know, I didn’t ask if it would be site-wide or limited to Newdash.

It’s a great suggestion :)

• justjennifer says: Imagine my curmudgeonly joy.

Imagine mine, when I too was one of the “lucky few users” to see the blue bar. Fortunately it seems to be gone today. I won’t miss it.

• Justjennifer,

Currently, we auto-subscribe people to the forum threads that are created for them via the contact form both when they are posted as Staff Questions and when they are posted as Community Support. So limited still, but on the right path!

• @zandyring – The new Reader/Homepage bar appears to be “live” now and still has the same problem of not being able to scroll back to the top of the window.

I see a notice there’s a new post in my Reader, but I can’t get to it. Clicking on the W in WordPress.com doesn’t bring me back to the top of the page.

• And I’m also getting big black squares where I assume a featured image should be.

Currently using FF18

• Hi @justjennifer,

I just tested your experience in FF, and got the same result (although I see all images fine).

I’ll take it to the team – thank you!

• Welcome and same problem exists in Chrome.

• The new blue bar takes up an unnecessarily large amount of space on my screen. Plus there doesn’t seem to be any way to get to the dashboard with it.

• Thank you for the feedback, biblioglobal!

As far as getting to your dashboard, you should be able to click on My Blogs, and select “Blog Admin” from beneath the blog you want to get to the dash on.

I hope that helps!

• ^^ Why not just put it back under the Icon where it was?

• Then again, White on Cyan is quite hard to see and not really a wise choice under Accessibility guidelines.

• They seem to be playing around with this. Typing wordpress.com now gives me the stat page, rather than the reader page now. No idea why. Yes, I can get to the dashboard with a couple of clicks, but it was one click with the grey admin bar. and why did I have to go to support forums to find this out?. WHY oh WHY have two different bars, blue and grey, with different things on each, and the grey one only appearing on certain pages?

• And getting to anywhere else on WordPress.com that is not the homepage is a PITA because the footer links to the forums, support, etc., are now gone. Yes, there’s a link to “Help” if I know to click on my gravatar in the new admin bar on the homepage. Seriously.

I’m going to reiterate my first comment:

Personally, I would much prefer to have a consistent UE and site navigation as with the current gray Admin bar everywhere else on WordPress.com.

• The topic ‘New Admin Bar on our WordPress.com Homepage’ is closed to new replies.