my questions to this forum keep disappearing –please advise

• I’ve asked 2 questions in this forum and both of them have been lost.

1. QUESTION # 1
    https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/wp-is-saying-my-computer-can-be-harmed-if-i-dont-upgrade-ie?replies=14#post-676987

I want to know if I need to get rid of IE. To answer SacredPath’s question, I have XP and IE 8. He said to use Firefox. JustJennifer said Firefox is too slow and she uses Chrome. Do I get rid of IE 8 and if yes, what do I change to?

2. QUESTION # 2
    https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/how-do-i-change-the-name-attached-to-my-avatar?replies=6#post-678144

I want to know how to change my display name. I am doing exactly what the directions say and my name still stays the same. How do I change the name attached to my avatar. Please don’t keep giving me the same link that shows how to change your display name. IT’S NOT WORKING.

Thank You!

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• JJennifer said something about Chrome being too slow, too. Not sure exactly what that meant.

• 1. use Chrome, and it’s superfast for me. Do not get rid of IE. There are certain websites that usually require IE.

2. Have you checked the second video (bottom of page) on: http://en.support.wordpress.com/change-your-username/?. I have changed my username before, and it worked for me.

• absurdoldbird · Member ·

The public name is the name that people see when you comment on posts and sometimes, if the theme supports it, when your own blog says something like ‘by’ or ‘authors is’… and then the name.

For instance, when I first had a blog and didn’t know about the public name, my username absurdoldbird was beside my avatar then someone wisely commented that it didn’t seem appropriate to less ‘absurd’ comments I was posting. So I changed it to my real (first and second names) and then later just to my first name.

By the way, here on the forums, the avatar displays only with one’s username, but I don’t think there’s anywhere else on WordPress that it does that, it certainly doesn’t display the username, if it’s different from the public name, in ones own and other people’s blogs.

If you want to change your public name, you need to go to you Public Profile which is reaced in various ways, one of which is via your dashboard, scroll down to ‘Users’ on the left, near the bottom, click on ‘My Profile. In the space that says ‘Display name publicly as’ type the name you’d like displayed publically, then scroll down the page and click on the ‘Update Profile’ button. If it still doesn’t change, then there’s something wrong and you’ll need to take contact support.

By the way,the ‘avatar’ is called a Gravatar (short for ‘Globally Recognised Avatar’ (I think). You can probably also adjust your settings via Gravatar.com Again, you need just to adjust your Display name.

I hope that helps!

As for the issue with IE… I’m getting the same warning about updating Firefox and I’m ignoring it for the moment. The reason for these warnings (as far as I can tell) is that this way WordPress are encouraging people to keep updating to the newest version so that it will be in line with any changes they make to how people view the site. Each browser displays things a little differently.

There is a way to ‘turn off’ that warning, and that is to open the ‘Screen Options’ tab at that top of your Dashboard’s home page and ucheck the ‘Your browser is out of date’ option. Then you won’t keep seeing the warning.

Later on, if you do want to update your browser, yes you should keep Internet Explorer as some sites need it, most particularly Microsoft ones (like Windows Update, for instance), but you can have another or several browsers, and just switch between them and you can set one as the default browser. So that way you can actually discover for yourself which you find best.

I’m using Firefox 5 and it’s way better than Internet Explorer which I will never use as my default again if I can help it, but I preferred older versions of Firefox and now they are updating it every two months which is pain (I think they do that with Chrome too, which I’ve never tried).

• Thanks, everyone, for the replies…
    The only thing I’m unable to do is change my display name. I am doing EXACTLY what the WP says to do and it is NOT changing the name beside my avatar.

WP,
    This is the 3rd thread I’ve had to dish out from the Search. That’s what I have to do to get my responses b/c my threads don’t show at Support or Questions.

@gigisanchez – I think you should contact support via their contact form, not via the Support forum here. This is the page to do it on: http://en.support.wordpress.com/contact/ On that page you’re presented with a box to put keywords in, after that you’re taken to the contact form.

• Thanks Bird,
    That’s what I’m doing but I wanted the forum to know they were disappearing. I like your name and your pic and will be visiting your blog soon. :o)

• Your questions don’t “dissapear”. It’s just that the more recent topics appear first on the front page.

You always have access to your previous questions by clicking on “Welcome, (your name)” on top of the forums.
    https://en.forums.wordpress.com/profile/gigisanchez

• Airodyssey,
    Thanks. I didn’t know I could click on Welcome and my name. But yes, they are disappearing. This one is showing right now at the forum but this one and the other two showed for a while and then disappeared. They were no longer on the forum, just hours after posting.

• Dissapear from the front page, perhaps, but not gone for good. Otherwise, you wouldn’t be able to get to them through your “Welcome, (your name)” page or through the search engine. Just saying.

• One more thing: as a forum volunteer, I don’t check only the questions on the front page. I also click on “Support”, “Questions”, etc. on the left sidebar, which gives me the possibility to go through several pages of questions.

So don’t worry. Your questions do not vanish for good. Do you understand? :-)

• Do I understand? Hmm… Well, I had to pull them off the Search. Of course, I understand. The point is: When a post disappears off the forum, the techs don’t know they’re out there, so they go unanswered. Or, they’re answered and the poster has to work too hard to find the answer. Or, other people don’t chime in and give their experiences. This is my point and it is valid. I will contact Support. Thank you.

• The posts do NOT disappear off the forum; they diasppear off the front page. Volunteers know how to find and answer posts that aren’t on the front page.

I, for one, click on the Support button and generally troll back to the last post I made in that forum daily.

• Unfortunately, you couldn’t click on the Support button and find them at the time because they weren’t there -on any of the pages. They’re here now b/c I brought them up. That’s why I’m going to write Support.

• @gigi – you did not “bring” anything up – as I write this the first Post you refer to at the top is on the third page of the Support section and has 14 entries.

As @raincoaster noted above – the back sections are checked regularly by helpers here and the staff to make sure questions have been answered.

• Right. But it wasn’t on there earlier and yesterday, the same thing happened. So for hours, nothing was seen. It appeared immediately after I found it at Search and posted to it. Once I did that, it showed up. As I’ve said repeatedly, all three posts were gone. You can believe me or you can not believe me -that’s up to you. I had to find the posts, post to them, and then they showed again. Other than that, they were at the forum for a while before they dropped off. They’ve always been somewhere but not readily accessible. I’m not blaming anybody so don’t take this personally.

They were posted
    They showed
    They disappeared
    I had to get them from Search or Welcome
    I posted again
    They reappeared

• Gigi, no one is disputing the fact that your post is not “showcased” on the front page because it happens that there are other more recent posts showing up first. But I think your choice of words is what’s causing this reaction. We just don’t have the same notion as “appearing” or “disappearing” I guess.

If I play “hide and seek” with you, and I can’t find you, does it mean that you have vanished? That you no longer exist?

Gigi, if it’s not showing straight away rather than just moving further down the list (which it might be because there can be vast numbers of people posting to the forum at any one time and so things get pushed down out of sight), it might be a problem with your browser. Try deleting your cookies and history (clear your cache) and then log back into your account and have another look. I get glitches myself like this sometimes and find that it’s the only thing that’ll help. Browsers are strange things.

(My connection just went down so if this appears twice, my apologies).

• hi absurdoldbird,
    You are so sweet. And I love your paintings. You now have an admirer… To answer your question, I did clear the cache. It disappeared. It’s here now, kinda like the car that goes into the shop and all of a sudden, puts on its best behavior. Thanks for responding to my concern, thanks for your professionalism. I sent an Email to support so I’m sure it will be taken care of. ;-)

• @gigi

Anytime a thread is pushed off the front page because of newer entries the older threads return to the front page when the thread receives a new reply that is why your threads have reappeared on the front page all forums chronologically work this way…

• The topic ‘my questions to this forum keep disappearing –please advise’ is closed to new replies.