My posts do not show up in reader

• Author

I just realized my new blog site for book reviews is not showing up in reader. I searched by my own tag jedsays and nothing. I saw somewhere else about a site caught up in the spam filter. Could this be what has happened to my site? I use links to the reviewed books on Amazon in posts. Any help appreciated. John

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

timethief

Are you creating your own original content?

Or are you re-publishing pre-written publicity material?

Please read the types of blogs that are not allowed:

Automated blogs: Blogs that are generated by computers, including randomly generated blogs, blogs that re-publish press releases, marketing material, search engine results, link dumps or any other mass-produced content.

Book tour blogs: Blogs that consist primarily of pre-written publicity material, as opposed to original book reviews, for the purpose of promoting books and driving traffic to other promotional and giveaway sites.
    https://wordpress.com/types-of-blogs/

All reasons for non-appearance of posts on Topics pages can be found here > http://en.support.wordpress.com/topics/#missing-posts
    The combined total of categories and tags on any post must not exceed 15 or it will not display on Categories and Tags pages and in the WordPress.COM Reader. Also note that your posts display there for 60 days only.

If none of those are applicable to your blog, type modlook into the sidebar tags on this thread for Staff help. How do I get a Moderator/Staff reply for my question? https://en.support.wordpress.com/getting-help-in-the-forums/#how-do-i-get-a-moderatorstaff-reply-for-my-question Then please subscribe to this thread so you are notified when they respond. To subscribe look in the sidebar of this thread, find the subscribe to topics link and click it.

designsimply

I can see your blog in the Reader if I check the site-specific view at https://wordpress.com/read/blog/id/100972932 however, I didn’t see anything in the tag page at https://wordpress.com/tag/jedsays for your blog even though you are using that tag when I first checked it.

I made an update I think might help and now I can see I can see posts at https://wordpress.com/tag/jedsays

Please just continue to publish normally and check to make sure they keep working, if they don’t please post back here and include the URL your latest post.

thenotoriousjed
    Original poster

Thank you.

samssecretss

Jed – apologies for hijacking your post but I have the same problem..

I signed up for WordPress.. But then paid… And have my own url.. I have set up my site http://www.samssecrets.com. I can log into that and see my dashboard but my reader is through a different login – and I can’t see my posts from samssecrets.com on the reader.. Please can someone explain.
    Thanks in advance.

designsimply

Hi Sam, I checked http://www.samssecrets.com/ and I found that site is setup using WordPress software, but it is not hosted here at WordPress.com.

Currently, tag pages in the Reader on WordPress.com display content from WordPress.com blogs and your blog is not a WordPress.com blog.

It’s possible for someone to follow your blog using the WordPress.com Reader, but they would need to type in your URL manually to the Reader > Manage page in order to do that and you will not appear in WordPress.com searches or tag pages.

See http://support.wordpress.com/com-vs-org/ to learn more about the differences.

samssecretss

Thank you so much designsimply – I wanted to build the site on WordPress so I could use the reader thing :( I’ve obviously gone wrong somewhere.

designsimply

WordPress.com and WordPress.org are easy to mix up! If you want to be listed on WordPress.com, then you do need to be hosted on WordPress.com and it’s possible to setup hosting elsewhere. We’d like to include all Jetpack sites more inclusively in the Reader in the future too—we’re working toward that.

timethief

We’d like to include all Jetpack sites more inclusively in the Reader in the future too—we’re working toward that.

@designsimply
    Are you kidding me? Please clarify exactly what that means for me so I communicate it clearly to my followers.

It’s my opinion that less self hosted site inclusion would be the better way to go for two reasons:

1. Reducing the confusion between wordpress.com hosted sites and self hosted wordpress.org software installs that has prevailed for a decade.

2. It would be inequitable for posts published on blogs hosted by wordpress.COM, to have to compete on OUR categories and tags pages with posts published on self-hosted WordPress.org sites that are not a part of our wordpress.com blogging community.

Surely, that cannot be what’s proposed.

designsimply

In regard to including Jetpack sites in the Reader, there aren’t any final decisions yet, so it’s not something you have to explain to your followers yet—it’s something that may happen in the future, and I think it’s good to keep an open mind about that kind of thing and try to let people know it’s a future possibility which is why I mentioned it. No need to be alarmed because it’s probably not something we can do anytime in the near future anyway.

In the future, WordPress.com and WordPress.org will be merging more than they are separating.

timethief

In the future, WordPress.com and WordPress.org will be merging more than they are separating.

Yep! That’s exactly what I predicted in 2014 when I backed away from blogging and many of us wordpress.COm bloggers will NOT be happy about.

Having our posts published on wordpress.COM blogs competing with posts on wordpress.ORG sites that are not even hosted here is not fair to us wordpress.com bloggers. And what’s next? Will blogspot.com blogs hosted by Google be promoted on our wordpress.com categories and tags pages too?

What is the rationale for this wordpress.com and wordpress.org merging please?

thenotoriousjed
    Original poster

Okay now everybody, this is a support forum. Negativity is frowned upon :(

I can say this since I was the OP. :)

timethief

@thenotoriousjed
    We users are not pollyanna styled robots and designsimply knows I respect her, even when I am a little cheeky.

Consider that if negative feedback were was muzzled there would never be any checks and balances in any decision making process, and without seeing all sides of any situation one cannot make a reasoned response to any decision that has been made.

I am only a wordpress.COM user. I am not Staff and I am not a wordpress.ORG person any more so I have asked designsimply for the rationale behind the merging. I think it would also be good to know exactly what will be merged.

Aren’t you interested in those answers too?

I assume you are, so thanks for letting me use your thread to ask these important questions.

thenotoriousjed
    Original poster

I would be interested in an answer but I couldn’t resist adding a little humor (okay It’s my own personal brand) to the conversation which progressed past my original post. I’m not against anyone using my thread if we can all learn a little from it.

designsimply

All WordPress sites should have a simple, reliable, easy-to-use place to manage content online. This is in line with the goal to democratize publishing. We want to include (and not exclude) all of WordPress. It shouldn’t matter which type of WordPress you have. Both are good.

timethief

@thenotoriousjed
    I appreciate your humor and grace when it comes to sharing your thread.

timethief

@designsimply

Integration of the accounts pages, stats, pages and my sites pages, etc. re managing blogs was something I expected.

However, competition for traffic from the WordPress.com categories and tags pages, the Freshly Pressed page and Recommended Blogs page with legions of posts published on WordPress.org blogs that are not hosted by WordPress.com was not something I expected.

So I believe that public relations speak means WordPress.com hosted bloggers are expected to swallow the new company koolaid and embrace the notion that we are all one big WordPress happy family.

Ha!

P.S. Thanks so much for the opportunity to be clear about what the company’s master plan is and to let you know politely how I feel about it.

designsimply

In case it helps, I found out a little more about it and including outside posts in the Reader is actually a hard problem to solve in a number of ways. So while it’s something we may do in the future (maybe), it’s not something we’ll be changing any time soon from what I can see at the moment. I do admit to being a little surprised about how strongly you feel about the topic! I think it’s good to hear your take on it, and I appreciate the polite back and forth on the subject here. :)

We definitely want to be more inclusive for any type of WordPress setup. No matter the setup, all types of WordPress should be accessible on WordPress.com (this is the account integration part you mentioned).

timethief

@designsimply

In case it helps, I found out a little more about it and including outside posts in the Reader is actually a hard problem to solve in a number of ways. So while it’s something we may do in the future (maybe), it’s not something we’ll be changing any time soon from what I can see at the moment.

I find that the difficulty and delay to be reassuring. Maybe it won’t happen at all. ;)

I do admit to being a little surprised about how strongly you feel about the topic! I think it’s good to hear your take on it, and I appreciate the polite back and forth on the subject here. :)

I started out as a WordPress fan girl when there was only single support staff member here and no support docs. Over the last decade I have remained a fan girl but I have strong opinions on some of the changes being made and I have been striving to find a way to express dissent politely without watering it down.

Staff attend work meetups with their team members quarterly and a big annual all company bonding meetup, as well as, WordCamp presentations too.

At the former they bond with team members. At the big annual meetup they bond with all other Automatic employees. At the latter they bond primarily with those wordpress.org bloggers who use the free software for income making purposes and listen to their needs and priorities.

I dare say that the majority of WordPress.com hosted bloggers are like me. They never attend any WordCamps and have no desire to attend them. They have not bonded and have not drank the company koolaid (no insult intended but don’t miss the message please). They do not feel like they are a part of one big WordPress family. Only those who have both WordPress.com and WordPress.org sites are likely to share that feeling.

You are the Staff member who has read and responded to my feedback, which is not always positive, on for example the seemingly never ending editor changes ( I have noticed that it’s improving with every new iteration.). I am an INFJ personality type and that’s very different from your personality type, but I believe that you comprehend that any attempt to muzzle negative feedback from passionate WordPress.com users like me, in our only venue for expressing it publicly here in the support forums would not come not from a position of strength but from a position of weakness. That is why I appreciate your respectful responses.

I have decided not to blog about this at this time. However, if it does come to pass that posts published on blogs hosted by WordPress.com are compelled to compete on the WordPress.com categories and tags pages, the Freshly pressed page and the Recommended blogs page with posts published on WordPress.org sites that are not hosted by WordPress.com , then there’s absolutely no doubt in my mind that many WordPress.com bloggers will not respond to that by expressing appreciation for the additional competition for traffic.

• The topic ‘My posts do not show up in reader’ is closed to new replies.