My domain expired, can I access my content?

• Author

redhawkradio

Hi! My domain expired in April and my hosting site says my subscription is inactive and I would need to purchase a new one. If I buy the same domain, can I still access all my content from WordPress?

rootjosh
    Staff

To clarify, are you saying that you had a site hosted with another hosting provider (GoDaddy, Bluehost, etc) and are hoping to access that content after not renewing your hosting subscription?

If that is the case, no, I’m afraid that simply purchasing the same domain name will not gain you access to your old website content. That content, if it still exists at all, is stored on the servers of your former webhost. Your best bet would be to contact their support team and see if they could export it for you (perhaps at a cost) or if you renewed your subscription with them, if the content would still be available.

redhawkradio

Yes! ok thank you!

redhawkradio

Would WordPress still have any of our content?
    Thanks!

macmanx
    Staff

No, since that was a self-hosted WordPress.org site, we don’t store any content.

To clear up any confusion, WordPress.com and WordPress.org are two different entities: https://wordpress.com/support/com-vs-org/

Your best option is to ask your old hosting provider if they have a backup for your account.

The topic ‘My domain expired, can I access my content?’ is closed to new replies.