My Blog Does Not Look Like What I Want It To

• Author

The mobile version of my blog looks exactly like I want it to. The desktop version does not. I want every post to appear on the front page, with the newest ones on top, but only the first few lines (with a link to the full post). Instead, only the most recent post appears there on the desktop version. Is there a theme that is like this, or a way to adjust the theme I have, without paying for that ability?

The blog I need help with is savedjustasiam.wordpress.com.

timethief

I want every post to appear on the front page, with the newest ones on top, but only the first few lines (with a link to the full post).

This is how the theme is designed to function Guide to the Morning After

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, it just confirms what I already knew (that the theme I chose doesn’t do what I want it to do). Though, oddly, this same theme does exactly what I want it to do on the mobile version of my blog. Without going through the 200+ themes individually (which I’ve already done at great expense of time with many of them), is there a way to find out which themes offer the functionality I’m wanting in both the desktop and mobile versions? Surely, this can’t be as complicated or time-consuming as it seems.

timethief

I tagged this thread for assistance from Themes Staff. Please subscribe to the thread so you are notified when they respond and please be patient while waiting.

Sorry, I’m new here, so when you say “this thread,” do you mean this thread? Well, that sounded profound. :-) If so, I will receive notifications when it’s replied to, as I started it and am subscribed. If you mean a different thread, please let me know. Thanks for your help.

timethief

kathrynwp
    Staff

Hi there, I just wanted to confirm that if you’re not using the special front-page Featured Posts template, The Morning After does only display the latest post.

The good news is that there are quite a few other themes that work as you would like, with an excerpt of your latest posts – with the quantity as set under Settings > Reading – on the homepage. They include Structure, Aascetica, Grisaille, and Triton Lite. I will email you the full list.

Thank you so much! No, I’m not using the featured posts feature. Can it be implemented without the paid Custom Design upgrade? I don’t see it as an option. If it can, does that mean I would have to mark every post as featured for it to show up that way on the front page?

kathrynwp
    Staff

To make posts appear as “Featured Posts” you just need to mark them as sticky posts – sorry, I was unclear before. This doesn’t require any upgrades. You can learn here how to mark a post as sticky.

You can read more about how to use the theme on its info page.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks so much for all your help! I ended up going with the Fusion theme from your emailed list. It met my criteria of looking a certain way (because I’m very picky that way!) but not requiring much tweaking of its appearance (because I’m also very busy)! I really appreciate what you did for me.

kathrynwp
    Staff

Excellent! Glad to hear you found a theme that met your criteria – that can definitely be tricky, even if for someone who’s not that picky. ;-)

Happy blogging!

The topic ‘My Blog Does Not Look Like What I Want It To’ is closed to new replies.