Moving from free to self hosted
Hi, I’ve created a free blog.
If I want to switch to self-hosted, is it possible to move the free blog over to the self hosted blog please?
If so, how do I do it?
Thank you for your help
The blog I need help with is owpcblog.wordpress.com.
To move your content you need to create an XML export file of your content. It will not include the theme as they cannot be exported. See 3 below.
WordPress.com and WordPress.org are completely separate.
1. Hire a web host http://wordpress.org/hosting/
3. Export your content out of your WordPress.com blog http://en.support.wordpress.com/export/ and import it into the install.
4. Purchase a site redirect upgrade from wordpress.com
http://en.support.wordpress.com/site-redirect/ or if you have domain mapping then update the nameservers http://en.support.wordpress.com/domains/domain-management/
5. Transfer subscribers and stats. See http://en.support.wordpress.com/moving-a-blog/moving-your-subscribers/
6. Set your wordpress.com blog visibility to private. To change blog visibility to private go to > Settings > Reading scroll to Blog Visibility and choose option 3 . See the guide here http://en.support.wordpress.com/settings/privacy-settings/
NOTE: WordPress.com and WordPress.org have different log-ins and run different versions of themes with same names. If you don’t have a username account at WordPress.ORG click http://wordpress.org/support/ and register one on the top right hand corner of the page that opens, so you can post to the support forums there and receive advice from WordPress.ORG bloggers.
Alternatively you can purchase a Guided Transfer and Staff will do the move and set up for you http://en.support.wordpress.com/guided-transfer/
Thank you for your detailed response, and for taking the time to post all the links.
That is exactly the info I need.
You’re welcome and best wishes.
The topic ‘Moving from free to self hosted’ is closed to new replies.