More Weird Likes/Follows

• Author

Hi confessionsofaromanticsoul –

Yep, we are working on this.

Thank you for all your work on this, gemmacevans! I’ve been having the same issue. Glad to hear you guys are on top of things! Thanks again!

sarahcath

I’ve remove the follow by email button and have not received a email follower since.

Yes, removing the follow by email button is a temporary work around. You can try to add it back…say in a week… and see if the spam returns.

twindaughter

I’ve been getting alerts in my email for followers who are not showing up on my followers “ticker” on my blog over the last 7 days or so. I received an informative response from a WordPress member when I asked about it (Thanks again, Ajay!) Wondering now if I should send the spam email addresses to WordPress. Any thoughts?

Hi twindaughter – We do not need you to send the emails to us directly as we are working on this and actively removing them.

amramar

Hello people, one from the support team
    (whom I contacted about those “followers from @coutlook.com problem”)
    just told me about this forum, and since I came up with a satisfying funny solution to this problem, he told me to share it here:
    1. NEVER reply to any of those mailattackers, else they have your address and will spam you forever.
    2. Read the rest here:
    https://offstagenews.wordpress.com/2018/04/02/diva-zen-and-the-art-of-sparmarang-spam-karma-boomeranging/?preview=true&preview_id=678&preview_nonce=6922a2120c&frame-nonce=711e373dd4
    3. enjoy ;-)

amramar

Just adding my quick intake on those follows:

It seems to be one and the same person who wrote a script generating half-realistic names, then registering them with outlook.com and then spamming us full in the hope that the curious amongst us mail back.

Then the spammer has our mailadresses, so NEVER reply to any of those mails.

In order to hide his or her tracks the spammer also deletes the follow shortly after counting on email-notifications of followers which are stuck in our inbox. This way the spammer can not be reported.

This is why I did create the site I did in my previous post which purposely exposes all of those adresses so that they will get spammed back by other spammers who crawl the site with their robots.

Feel free to add all your addresses there in the comment or create your own spam-honey trap.

amramar

Just adding my quick intake on those follows:

It seems to be one and the same person who wrote a script generating half-realistic names, then registering them with outlook.com and then spamming us full in the hope that the curious amongst us mail back.

Then the spammer has our mailadresses, so NEVER reply to any of those mails.

In order to hide his or her tracks the spammer also deletes the follow shortly after counting on email-notifications of followers which are stuck in our inbox. This way the spammer can not be reported.

This is why I did create the site I did in my previous post which purposely exposes all of those adresses so that they will get spammed back by other spammers who crawl the site with their robots.

Feel free to add all your addresses there in the comment or create your own spam-honey trap.

benaveling

There’s a wordpress setting:
    – “Users must be registered and logged in to comment”

Possibly spammers are registering in the hope of finding blogs with this set but with no controls on following.

If so, then perhaps WP should disable this option, or at least, disable it for blogs that don’t have some control on who can follow the blog.

benaveling

Another suggestion.

Under the existing option “Email me whenever…”, have a sub-option “Exclude low-reputation sites”.

spookieloo

Yes, I’ve been getting strange outlook email followers that don’t show up in my follow list. So weird!

ingridcc

@lizkarkoski
    Thanks (to you and WordPress) for removing so many spam followers from my account.

I’ve noticed a couple of outlook.com follower emails recently that haven’t been removed from my account:
    (email redacted)
    Since Apr 15, 2018
    (email redacted)
    Since Apr 9, 2018

Other outlook follows since those two have been removed. Does that mean those two are actually legitimate followers who just happen to have outlook email addresses? or are they spam subscribers who fell through the cracks?

How does WP know for sure which are the real ones and which are spam?
    Thanks,
    Ingridcc

ingridcc

@lizkarkoski,
    Please, are the two outlook.com follows I mentioned above legit or spam? Up to now, WP has been removing all my spam outlook followers as they come in, but these 2 (plus maybe another one now) are ‘sticking’ – haven’t been removed from my list of email followers.

Does that mean they are legit or does it mean that WP has stopped cleaning spam followers out, and I should do it myself?

diendrial

My WP blog is being targeted as well. diendrial

palousepics

Another “follower”

(email redacted)

pmbagirl

Yes me too. I get two or three a day. Should I send you the list of names?

amramar

No, post them as comments after that article I wrote about it here:
    https://offstagenews.wordpress.com/2018/04/02/diva-zen-and-the-art-of-sparmarang-spam-karma-boomeranging/ This way they will be crawled by other spammers ;-)

And don’t forget – NEVER mail them, because all the spammer wants is your mailadress.

Here are some I have received with outlook addresses:
    (email redacted)
    (email redacted)
    (email redacted)
    (email redacted)
    (email redacted)
    (email redacted)
    (email redacted)
    (email redacted)
    (email redacted) is now following A Place in the World
    (email redacted)

So if there is no harm to our blogs – what are these guys getting out of following us?
    Thanks! Cinda

amramar

Thanks for posting those adresses, Cinda, but I meant to post them in my article mentioned above your comment (which I now did),
    or simply write one post yourself, where you keep pasting in all those mailadresses.

In this discussion it is useless to add mailadresses, because they are redacted and our goal is to expose them to search robots, so that they get spammed themselves.

As I did explain twice before: This is likely only one and the same spammer who wants to get us curious and mail to just one of those addresses,
    because then s/he has our emails s/he can spam us forever.

The topic ‘More Weird Likes/Follows’ is closed to new replies.