Menu button not working 50% of time

• Author

hannahfulop
    Original poster

I recently updated a site to the current version of WordPress, and after I did, the menu button started working on 50% of the time. If you reload the page (sometimes more than once), it will start functioning again. This is still the case after disabling plugins. Is there a way to fix this?

The site in question: thenightmail.com

Thanks!

macmanx
    Staff

Hm, it seems to be working right on the theme’s demo https://wp-themes.com/syntax/ which is also running the latest version of WordPress.

When you tried with plugins disabled, was it all plugins?

Also, are you using any sort of caching plugin, or do you see a “Clear/Purge Cache” button in your Dashboard or admin bar? If so, would you please try clearing the cache?

Note: You do not need to install a caching plugin at this point just to clear a cache you don’t have. If you don’t have a caching plugin or a way to clear a server-level cache, just say so. :)

hannahfulop
    Original poster

Thanks for the reply!
    All plugins were deactivated when I noticed this behavior.
    This site isn’t using a caching plugin. I was clearing my own cache manually, but that was all.

macmanx
    Staff

Hm, odd.

Can you try creating a new menu with only one or two pages in the menu, then assign it to that location? (I’m wondering if it’s a “too many pages” thing.)

hannahfulop
    Original poster

It is odd.

Ok, I made a menu with only two items, and it doesn’t seem to have changed the behavior at all.

macmanx
    Staff

With only 2 items, it seems to be working for me consistently on your site.

Try clearing your browser’s cache: https://www.refreshyourcache.com

hannahfulop
    Original poster

Hm, I’m still seeing that issue, even after clearing the cache. This is on both Safari and Firefox. (Sorry, I should have mentioned that before.)

csonnek
    Staff

Since it works when we test, can you share what operating system (and version) and what the version is of Firefox and Safari? Once we have that information, we’ll be better able to advise.

I will note that there hasn’t been a update to this theme since 2015, so it’s quite possible that it isn’t working due to updates to the WordPress software itself.

Thanks!

hannahfulop
    Original poster

Sure! I am using MacOS Catalina 10.15.7, Safari 15.2, and Firefox 96.0.1.

Yeah, I did wonder if this was an issue about the theme being older, but I wanted to check before I made my client change their theme. Thanks for all of the help thus far.

csonnek
    Staff

Thanks! Catalina is still supported by Apple and Safari and Firefox are on the latest versions, so I don’t think that’s the problem here.

I’m pretty sure that the theme is starting to become incompatible with modern versions of WordPress, especially since all the work with blocks started well after the last update to this theme. It also would explain why the site behaves differently on different browsers.

Updating the theme will avoid further incompatibilities in the future, so hopefully your client won’t protest too much. :)

hannahfulop
    Original poster

Ok, good to know. I kind of thought that might be the case, but like I said, better to check before making big changes.

I think the client will come around. Your last point is a good one, I’ll make sure to tell them that. Thanks again!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.