Maintenance mode options at WordPress.com (free plan)

• Author

unibookworm
    Original poster

Hi WordPress team!

Been blogging on 4 years on WordPress.com since 2014 and am looking to update my blog layout to 2018. In it’s current format, it’s not mobile optimised.

So to bring it to 2018 and mobile optimised, I’m moving it to the Sela theme!

The only issue is, how do I update/tweak the blog theme and layout:
    • Without my current 80 followers seeing it in works [would rather they see it when it’s finished, not in progress!] as well as not losing my followers.
    • Without losing my current top SEO position in google =)

I had at look at potential options for hiding my blog from public while updating, but I reckon it would tamper with my current SEO position.

Ideally I could enable maintenance mode on my blog, but given it’s on WordPress.comnot WordPress.org, the plugin can’t be enabled. Thoughts?

Thanks again for taking the time to resolve my query =)

=)’s Shirley

The blog I need help with is: unibookworm.wordpress.com

ismaeliea

Hi there!

You do need the Business Plan to be able and add Custom themes and plugins on your site.

You can add a page saying “This Page is Under maintenance” by creating a new page, and then set that up as a new home page until you get it clear by going to:

My Sites > Customize > Home Options > Static Page > Select your page

Cheers ❤️

unibookworm
    Original poster

Thanks! Is it possible to have a month payment for the business plan rather than upfront yearly?

ismaeliea

Hi there!

No, unfortunately. All plans on WordPress.com are billed yearly, and billed one month before the end of the subscription period

Learn more about:

Subscriptions for Plans and Domains

If you have any more questions, please reply back to this thread and I’ll be able to assist.

Cheers :)

kokkieh
    Staff

Hi there,

You do not need the Business Plan.

A maintenance mode plugin essentially takes your site offline, allowing you to work on it without the changes being visible. You can achieve the same thing on WordPress.com by temporarily setting your site to private at My Site ->Settings.

To make changes invisibly even while the site is live you’ll need what is called a staging environment. That is a completely separate site where you make your changes, and then you upload that to your live site when ready. We don’t provide a staging environment on WordPress.com on any plan.

I had at look at potential options for hiding my blog from public while updating, but I reckon it would tamper with my current SEO position.

Setting your site to private for a few hours or even a few days will have no impact on your SEO at all. It takes weeks for Google to index, re-index, or de-index your site, and you should be setting your site back to public long before Google even realises it’s no longer visible.

unibookworm
    Original poster

Thanks so much kokkieh! =)

Will my current followers still see me making my website changes though while I set my site to private?

kokkieh
    Staff

While your site is private only you will be able to access it, and your followers won’t be able to see it at all. They also won’t receive email notifications for any posts you publish while the site is private. Once you set it back to public they’ll receive notifications for new posts again, and also see new posts in the Reader.

justjennifer

Just to toss this in here for consideration, although the Private site would work, of course, wouldn’t one be able to achieve something similar by using the new SAVE DRAFT option in the Customizer?

kokkieh
    Staff

Thanks for reminding me, @justjennifer. You can indeed make some changes in the Customizer preview and save them there without immediately publishing them on your site.

justjennifer

Some changes?

I do see now that the SAVE DRAFT button isn’t available in the Customizer until one actually applies/publishes the new theme to the site, so a short period as a Private site might be the more suitable solution here.

kokkieh
    Staff

@justjennifer, are you speaking of the live theme preview? That doesn’t have the save draft option, no. The theme must be activated first, and then Customizer changes can be saved as draft. This is because the theme preview is a WordPress.com/Calypso feature, while the Save Draft feature of the Customizer comes from Core, so the two must be incompatible in some way.

I’ve opened a GitHub issue for this to see if it can be added, though. Thanks for highlighting it.

unibookworm
    Original poster

Thanks guys! So in awe of all your advice and insights! Can’t wait to get working on my blog redesign project =)

kokkieh
    Staff

@unibookworm,

Glad we could help :)

The topic ‘Maintenance mode options at WordPress.com (free plan)’ is closed to new replies.