Locked out of my account because of password bug

• Author

wpuser348
    Original poster

Yesterday I changed my password, and when I tried to log back in, I was told that my password was incorrect.

I copied and pasted my password into the change password page, and also into the log in page, so the problem wasn’t that I entered it in incorrectly.

I couldn’t reset my password using the lost password page, because the email address for my account has expired.

I filled out the account recovery form, providing my registered email address, which only the owner of my account would know, and explaining my situation. The email I got in response was not helpful. I can’t check my registered email address for a recovery email, I can’t send an email from that address, and I can’t log in to that address to get my account activation link, because as I explained on the account recovery form, my registered email address has expired. And I never purchased any upgrades, so I don’t have any PayPal transaction IDs.

I replied to the email, explaining my situation again. I then verified that there is indeed a bug in the processing of passwords by creating a new account, and then changing the password for that account to the same password that is causing problems on my original account. When I tried to log back in to the new account with the changed password, I was told that the password was incorrect, just as I was with my original account. I sent a second email reply saying that I had verified the password processing bug. I have not received any response to either of my emails.

By experimenting with several passwords, I was able to determine that any passwords with single or double quotes are not processed correctly.

I have used numerous passwords with single and double quotes in the past, and they have worked fine.

There was recently a change in the design of the log in page, and I assume that was the result of a change in the version of the WordPress software. The password bug must have been introduced when the WordPress software was changed to a new version.

The password change page says:

“To update your password enter a new one below. Your password should be at least six characters long. To make it stronger, use upper and lower case letters, numbers and symbols like ! ” ? $ % ^ & ).”

Any user who follows that guidance and puts double quotes in his password will not be able to log in, because of the newly introduced bug in the processing of passwords.

I have tried every way I can think of to escape the single and double quotes in my password, and nothing works.

Can someone please tell me what my new password ended up being saved as, and what I need to enter on the log in page in order to access my account?

If, for example, my password was

=bz4]-B_$.7!e7?q’!”g,T%v%,_&nY

what do I need to enter on the log in page to access my account?

If this bug isn’t fixed, or no workaround is found, then I’m going completely lose my account, my username, my web address, my search rankings, and my blog and the YEARS of hard work that have gone in to it.

Please help.

auxclass

flagged for the staff to help

What is the account you changed the password on and need help with?

wpuser348
    Original poster

Thank you.

The account is genetiker.wordpress.com.

auxclass

You be welcome

wpuser348
    Original poster

Is there any update on this?

I’m still locked out of my account because of this flaw in the WordPress software.

I haven’t heard anything from WordPress staff.

Can someone please send a password reset link for my genetiker account to the email address for my wpuser348 account?

rachelmcr
    Staff

Hi there,

I see that you have an ongoing email ticket with our team about the account you’re trying to regain access to. Please continue your conversation with that team via email — we’re unable to assist with account recovery issues here in the public forums.

The topic ‘Locked out of my account because of password bug’ is closed to new replies.