Load images at the top of the gallery

• I use the WordPress.com gallery for my daily paintings. The images load to the bottom of the gallery and I have to move them all the way to the top each day. It is getting cumbersome because I like to add a painting a day. Is there a way to add the image to the top of the gallery? Reverse order does not work.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there,

This is how galleries are designed to work. An image gallery is intended to be created, published, and then mostly left as is. It wasn’t designed to be updated daily, and new images you add will always get added to the bottom and will need to be moved manually if you want them to display elsewhere in the gallery.

If you add a new image to the gallery every day it will also become very big very fast, which might cause the page to break – every image you add to a gallery means more data that has to load in the browser every time someone visits that page, and eventually it will contain so much data that it will be come so slow as to become unusable.

Have you considered instead using blog posts for this? That way people can subscribe to your site, and be notified when you publish a new painting – that doesn’t happen when you just update an existing gallery on a static page or portfolio project. It will also help your site be better indexed in search engines, meaning more people will potentially find your site.

You can still have a page with a gallery containing samples of your work where you can highlight your favourites. But I wouldn’t use that as the only, or even primary way to add new content to the site.

• Thank you so much for all of the information. Very helpful and valuable! I was doing blog posts, and liked that, but a gallery would help potential customers see all of my work without endless scrolling. I will start using the blog posts again and keep thinking about how I can use the gallery effectively!

Thank you again for the information!

• The topic ‘Load images at the top of the gallery’ is closed to new replies.