• Author

maryjomalo

Why do likes in the Reader Notifications disappear immediately and require me to enter them again?

Hi there,

I’m not sure that I understood your question. Can you tell us a bit more about the trouble you are having? Can you provide an example of how you enter likes again?

Thanks for the additional info!

maryjomalo

When responding to Notifications in the Reader on my home page, with the tabs: “All” “Unread” “Comments” “Follows” “Likes” everything works correctly except the like star. When I “like” a comment, the like star changes to “liked” but then reverts back to “like” after a few seconds. It only stays fixed after the second click. Double-clicking doesn’t seem to matter either. It’s a problem only in my Reader Notifications. If I like something and click the star DIRECTLY in my Reader (wordpress.com/read) it takes on the FIRST try. The difficulty is with Reader Notifications and has been noticed by others who say their likes have to be liked again. (The like star for Notifications which requires Approve, Like and Reply to my own blog posts does work.) In other words, you can like something in Notifications and come back to find it didn’t take. I hope this helps. If not, we’ll try again :)

kokkieh
    Staff

What browser are you using? And are you using any add-ons like ad blockers? Some browser add-ons can block the JavaScript code the notifications need to work, so try disabling all add-ons, and also clear your browser cache, and see if that makes any difference.

like star for Notifications which requires Approve, Like and Reply to my own blog posts does work

Do you click on Like before or after you’ve approved a comment?

maryjomalo

Browser, browser clearing and add-ons aren’t a problem.

“Do you click on Like before or after you’ve approved a comment?”

The issue doesn’t occur with Approvals, only with Likes for others’ replies to my comments on their blogs. It’s unique to that operation.

Thank you!

I see you are using Google Chrome as your browser. To rule that out as the issue can you log in to WordPress.com using an alternate browser, like Firefox, Safari, or Internet Explorer/Edge browser?

I’m curious if this is an issue you have regardless of the browser you use, or if it’s related to a specific browser so we can take a closer look. Thanks for the additional info!

maryjomalo

I’m loathe to switch browsers, because my bookmarks will disappear. I’ll just find a way to work around the issue or continue my diligence and make sure “Likes” stay as liked. Thanks for your help.

kokkieh
    Staff

We’re not asking you to switch browsers.

We’re asking you to temporarily log in using a different browser, to test whether the problem occurs across multiple browsers or only one.

The only way for us to narrow down what might be causing this is to rule our the most likely options, and we cannot do that if you won’t follow the troubleshooting steps we suggest, or answer the questions we ask.

In this case we suspect it’s related to your browser, because the issues does not occur for us, so it’s not a problem with the notifications panel itself.

maryjomalo

Did you try using a Chrome browser? I don’t know how to sign in with a different browser without installing a different browser.

supernovia
    Staff

Hi @maryjomalo, I use Chrome, and this is not happening on my side. But it could be an extension or some setting within your Chrome browser, too. That’s why testing a different browser can be helpful — it helps us narrow down the possibilities.

Does your system only have Chrome installed?

With your permission, we could try “liking” a comment for you from your account so we can rule out the possibility of issues with your account itself.

supernovia
    Staff

If you do want us to test this for you, by the way, please provide the exact URL for a post you’re trying to like — please click through to view the single post on the reader if you’re using that, and send that.

maryjomalo

Sending you a URL won’t work, because this ONLY occurs in my Notifications when I’m on my Home page or Read page.

So…I signed into my account using Safari on a phone, and it did the same thing. (No, not through the WordPress app) This leads me to believe it’s an issue with my Theme. I vaguely remember reading this somewhere when I first noticed the problem.

csonnek
    Staff

This leads me to believe it’s an issue with my Theme. I vaguely remember reading this somewhere when I first noticed the problem.

Let us know if you decide to switch themes to check that. You should be able to switch back to the Ryu theme you’re using without affecting how your site looks now.

Let us know if you still have trouble!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.