Like Button in Chrome Won't Work

• Hi, I’m hoping you can assist me, but I don’t think many can, as Chrome, the only browser I will use after trying them all for years, isn’t Java friendly and doing away with Java completely not too long from now, with most sites already having programming functions no longer working due to this.

I use wordpress.com (free site) and apparently either wordpress changed something or has Chrome already begun to block Java on wordpress.com. I can’t “Like” any posts at all while using Chrome. I fixed the blank notification slide out through help on the Net while searching, but there’s absolutely nothing I can find regarding the “Like Button” no longer working with chrome.

All Like Buttons appear on my sites and all others; however, while I can see them, once I click on them a small window opens and shuts very quickly, and my “like” isn’t there. I’m a bit techie (mid-range), so I already know that it’s not a cache issue on my end, browser cache or java cache). The function works perfectly on IE (shudders – worst browser ever). This issue has been going on for the past several months.

Can someone please help me figure out the resolution, and can someone please advise as to what wordpress.com is planning on doing once chrome disables all use of Java? I don’t write my own style sheets or create my own themes, but it can’t even be my theme, because it’s not only happening on my own site, but everyone else’s site I visit while using chrome. With chrome being one of the largest search engines being used, and them removing Java usage more and more by the day, completely gone soon, now what? The likes are a very important part of wordpress.com, and switching to IE every time I want to “like” someone’s post is arduous and poor practice to be forced to do.

Thanks so very much in advance.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hello @planetdreamdiaries,

I can completely understand how frustrating that could be.
    This is strange.

Let’s try to troubleshoot this by checking the work environment details for chrome. I tried to like some of your posts using chrome and worked fine.
    – I used chrome Version 73.0. Can you please share what chrome version you are using?
    – I am using Mac OS. Can you mention yours?

You can check my like on this post(pranaliwp) – https://planetdreamdiaries.wordpress.com/2018/08/16/unfair-despair/

If you want to me try linking on a particular post then please share the URL.

I am looking forward to your reply.
    Thank you,

• Hi pranalwp, and thank you for getting back to me.

– I’m using Chrome Version 73.0.3683.86 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    – Windows 10 (computer, not phone).
    – I can’t like any posts of my own or anyone else’s.

I see the like button, I can press it, but once I do, a very small window pops up and disappears quickly, and my like isn’t there (the fact that I liked it). The same thing happens no matter my own posts or other’s pages/posts. I did turn on notifications on chrome for WP, and can also turn it on or off manually via the lock before the URL text box (top of chrome and right click I believe), which in the least helped me view my Notifications, but the same problem with the Likes continued. And now, after the first time, the Notifications aren’t showing either. I can see that I have some waiting (orange dot over the right corner bell), and when I click it it opens, but it just keeps looping to load and remains blank.

So after finally fixing my Notifications after many months, they’re gone again, and my Like(ing) ability remains an inability. If in fact both functions are Java functions this could be why, with Chrome disabling and no longer supporting Java more and more as we move closer to the total disabling of Java through Chrome, though you can “like,” so I’m not sure why I can’t, unless the Java disabling started with MS for my Chrome vs.?

Ideas? And thanks so much again.

• Oh, FYI pranaliwp, aside from my other, larger response, I just noticed, that I can like a post or comment from the reader, or if the like option is a star – it’s only the actually like “buttons” that aren’t working for me and causing the details described originally.

• I forgot to tag you (oops) – 2 responses above pranaliwp. Thank you again.

• Hi @planetdreamdiaries,

No problem. I have already subscribed to this thread so will get all notification regarding your replies :)

Thanks for the details regarding your environment. I have tried to regenerate the issue with the same environment and it worked fine for me.

I am listing some more troubleshooting steps for you here:

– This is the most important point,
    you have to be a logged in with the WordPress.com/gravatar account holder to click the like button on any WordPress.com blog.

– I understand you have already tried but if the issue still remains I will suggest clearing your browser’s cache this way – https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32050

– Also, make sure that you have both third-party cookies enabled and JavaScript enabled:

Preview Problems and Third-Party Cookies

http://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/answer.py?answer=12654

– Disable all browser extensions or add-ons temporarily.

I think it should work after this.

Please let me know how it goes.
    I am looking forward to your reply.
    Thank you!

Regards,

• Hi there,

Just following on the modlook tag. I would suggest following @pranaliwp advice on disabling any Chrome extensions you have installed and make sure that JavaScript is enabled.

I have tested it using the latest version of Chrome on the latest update of Windows 10 and I was not able to replicate what you’re describing.

• Good morning to you both. I’ve done it all, many, many times, it’s not helping. I myself have been trying to troubleshoot this for a few months now and finally gave up, which is unusual for me. The only extension I have is adblock and it’s never enabled on the wordpress.com domain. I don’t know anything about wordpress.org, or users who have downloaded wordpress and/or own their own domain, only that I’m a free user, logging in at wordpress.com, and that this issue began a few months back and I’m absolutely baffled and extremely frustrated over it. Even now, my email’s telling me that there are over 10 notifications, yet I can’t see them (separate issue, though also discussed in this thread) or click on any like “buttons,” both being Java (I believe – might you be able to clarify) and chrome no longer supporting Java, yet it’s still working on many sites in small increments until the full loss of Java support coming soon.

Thank you both.

• I think you’re confusing Java with JavaScript which besides a similarity in the name have nothing else in common. You can read more about that here:

https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_javascript.xml

All the issues with the Like button and the notifications you’re having are JavaScript issues. All the modern web is built with JavaScript and Google that makes Chrome is promoting it and fully supports it.

I’ll dig deeper into your issues and I’ll come back with a few more things you can try out :)

• The topic ‘Like Button in Chrome Won't Work’ is closed to new replies.