Is this really spam that was blocked?

• I have recieved two comments on my blog so far. It said “1 spam comment was already blocked by akismet, 1 comment is in your spam queue.” So I went to the spam queue and the comment is something like “Matthew has added an interesting post today…” then it is pretty much a copy and paste of my post. I am confused, is this really spam and should I delete the comment or allow it?

I guess my question is, is Akismet blocking real comments by real people?

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• What you are describing is a “splog”, which is a spam blog that scoops up content generated by others for the purpose of having people click on the ads showing on the splog.

As to whether Akismet blocks real people, it has been known to happen from time to time, so that is why you should review whatever comments are caught in the spam folder. Known spammers I believe, are deleted without any action on your part.

• Yup. What justjennifer said. It does happen, but it’ll be quite rare. What you got was a pingback I think.

• Thank you. I wasn’t sure if it was spam or not.

• You should be suspicious of anything that Akismet catches as spam – there’s a reason for it. In particular, check the author’s link.

Short comments that amount to “Interesting post”, “nice blog”, “thanks”, “added to my RSS reader”, “where can I download your theme”, “I agree”, “I disagree”, nonspecific questions, general flattery and vague platitudes, and other similar things that appear in your Spam folder, are pretty much guaranteed to be spam. They might seem innocent or gratifying, but the same guy just posted exactly the same thing on 5,000 other blogs.

Similarly, pingbacks and trackbacks that appear in your spam folder are pretty much guaranteed to be spam.

• The topic ‘Is this really spam that was blocked?’ is closed to new replies.