Is this overkill for me…?

• I know that WordPress is very popular but… I am not a blogger, marketer, educator, salesperson… I am a retired person that wants to keep an organized, easy to update web page of links to sites I find interesting, mostly guitar related… it would consist primarily of helpful, instructional YouTube videos [created by others], guitar sites I have paid subscriptions for, perhaps links to docs / files from my local machine…
    Is WordPress overkill for my page[s]?
    If so, a recommendation for more suitable alternatives would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks for any helpful suggestions you are able to offer.
    Best regards,
    Chris

WP.com: Yes
    Correct account: Yes

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• By overkill, I mean is WordPress overkill…? Not my simple basic pages listed in the post above.

• I’m not sure I understand your question. The wordpress software can do pretty much anything anyone could ever want to do. WordPress.com uses a slightly modified version of the free wordpress software. Sites/Blogs built here can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make them.

https://wordpress.com/learn/

• If the block editor is an issue for you (here at wordpress), blogger (blogspot.com) might work for you as it still has the “what you see is what you get” editor, like a word processor. Plus, there are no ads on the free blogs at blogspot like there are at wordpress.

I like using wordpress because of the social side of things (comments, notifications, etc) but I also have a paid plan to get rid of the ads so none of my online friends have to deal with that.

With what you have written, I’d suggester blogger. But you can use wordpress for free too.

• Thanks for responding. Sorry, I didn’t express myself fully.

I meant that I am only looking for local web pages, not an actual domain or ‘real’ public web site.

For convenience and organization, I’m thinking along the lines of links specific to me… to video lessons I am currently taking [subscription sites], local files [doc, pdf, GP [ Guitar Pro software…]], MP3s, YouTube videos… to quickly add / update a new link…

Certainly, I can see that WordPress can handle all of the above but… I don’t need a domain or public website. I don’t really need fancy graphics or logos…

Am I using a sledgehammer to swat flies? Would there be a simpler alternative to help build and manage local personal web pages?

I’ve been using Word and saving as HTML. I guess I am looking for something kind of more robust than Word but perhaps not as robust and powerful as WordPress… to help manage local web pages.

Once again, I appreciate any helpful ideas.

Thanks

Chris

• Thanks for the response! I appreciate it.

Again, I probably didn’t explain myself fully in the OP. Sorry!

There are a lot of resources available for learning WordPress. And WordPress is certainly a very powerful system. I think I could learn to use it, but I am only looking for local web pages, not an actual domain or ‘real’ public web site.

I don’t need stats, fancy graphics, logos… Might there be a simple tool to help build and easily manage local pages for local use. I just want to organize personal links to… on-line lessons I am taking, various local files [Docs, PDFs, GP [GuitarPro]], MP3s, local MP4s, YouTube videos…

I hope my ramblings make sense. Perhaps WordPress would be the correct tool or I can continue to try using Word… or perhaps there is something else that may be a better fit for my simple local pages.

Thanks

Chris

• I just want to organize personal links to… on-line lessons I am taking, various local files [Docs, PDFs, GP [GuitarPro]], MP3s, local MP4s, YouTube videos…

That all sounds rather technical to an old guy like me. I just click on “new post” add some words and an image and then click “publish” so I don’t think about any of the fancy bells and whistles that might be available to me. If you’re just doing something for your own use and not for the world to see then it would be easy to set your free WordPress.com site to private.

• The topic ‘Is this overkill for me…?’ is closed to new replies.