Is rebogging appropriate?

• Is re-blogging appropriate?
    Someone has re-blogged my complete 800+ word post with art etc.
    Is this something I should approve?
    Is there an advantage for my blog in allowing this?
    Disadvantages?

It feels a lot like plagiarism to me.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• There has been a lot of debate about this. Most people feel that if you reblog then you should not include the entire article and add original comment yourself. If someone is only reposting entire articles this is probably against WordPress.com rules.

It is worth having a clear copyright policy on your blog. Personally I don’t mind reblogging as long as they credit my blog so I use a creative commons non-commercial attribution license.

• I would strongly object of someone reblogged an entire article of mine.

I reblog rarely, but if I do, I include only an opening paragraph and a very clear link to the complete article.

• @tandava, I was just wondering about this!
    The “licence” you have is excellent.. I left you a comment over there.

• @dlcsmanagement
    I have responded to your comment there!

• I have a copyright notice posted on my blogs. Any content reblogged from this site must adhere to the terms of © Copyright Without doubt copying and republishing an entire 800 word post from my site would result in a DMCA complaint and take down notice.

• Thanks guys, very helpfull!

• @klerosier: Better call this re-posting, to distinguish it from the WP reblogging feature.

Since your blog doesn’t display a license that expressly allows re-posting, copyright law applies, even if you don’t display a copyright notice. Posting reasonably short excerpts (with due mention of the source and/or a link to it) falls under the fair use guidelines, but re-posting a complete article without your permission is content theft – period.

Is there an advantage for your blog? Not really. Advocates of free re-posting will say that it means wider exposure. This may be true (assuming that there’s a link to the original),* but it mostly applies to the particular article someone chose to re-post: if users can read your article elsewhere, they might visit your blog for more, but they might also not bother to do so. Another disadvantage is that google tries to limit identical search results, so if the site that re-posted your article has a higher page rank than yours, searching for something that would fetch your blog may fetch theirs instead.

The quality of the other site is also something to consider: seeing an article of yours in another site may range from an honor to a disgrace, depending on the site (but respectable sites aren’t likely to steal content). So, in my opinion, if you wish to allow re-posting, it should be by permission only, so you get to chose to accept or deny such a request.

Now, if you don’t like it that this “someone” has re-posted your article, first try to contact them and ask them to remove it (without hostility): some inexperienced bloggers simply don’t know that even if they link to the original* it’s still content theft, and will remove the post once you point out the facts. If they don’t, and the site is a wp.com blog, you can report it to WP and the blog will be immediately suspended till they comply. If it’s not a wp.com blog, then you can either live with it or file a DMCA complaint, as timethief suggested.

* This is something you didn’t tell us: did the thief give a link to your post or not?

• I actually do have a clear copywrite policy on home page:

© Karen LeRosier, KLeRosier.wordpress.com 2011.
    Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Karen LeRosier and http://KLeRosier.wordpress.com with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

The site that re-blogged my post has done this to 2 posts. I did not approve one and I went back and unapproved the other. Last I checked this did not “take the post down”

This site re-blogs posts so fast I had to go through like 3-4 pages of other peoples posts to find mine blogs the day day it was posted. They appear to rapidly add re-blogged posts all day long.
    This is one of the reblog comment I recieved:
    manonmona
    manonmona.wordpress.com
    (email visible only to moderators and staff)
    Submitted on 2011/10/04 at 7:11 am

manonmona reblogged this on Espacio de MANON.

• Oh I forgot to add the site is in Spanish but I will try to contact them.
    They are a word press site. should I report them?

• The site is in Spanish except all the re-blogged blogs.
    I just sent a message through their contact page. I stated that I had a copywrite notice and requested they remove my posts and refrain from reblogging them in future. I explained that re-blogging a whole post is not covered under free use. And defined excerpt for them.

I’m reluctant to file a DMCA complaint. I’m paranoid about repercussions, even though I’m certain this is a violation I always fear I’m wrong.

There is a reblogging feature on wordpress after all.

• Yes the site does include links to my post and links to all the other dozens of other peoples posts it reblogs as well.
    The blog has over 400 pages of what appears (I did not check all 400!) to be simply reblogged posts of others without any comment or added information from this blog author.

I use the term reblog since that is what it is called when I got a notice in my comment section of this action. I’m not certain of the difference between repost and reblog.

• You can flag a blog to the Terms of Service group by visiting the blog while logged in and in the top gray bar on the left side there will be the blog name – click on it and the drop down appears – click on “Report as Spam” and you can send concerns about a blog content to the TOS people. If it is duplicate content issues be sure and have links to their content and the original content blogs.

• I double checked the site and my blog posts have been removed. It’s hard to do since none of the blogs entries have dates on them and many are posted a day.

I’m embarrassed to say, I was mistaken about others’ whole post being reblogged on the site. Looking at the site the blog author is posting the beginning, maybe third of the posts and then he links to the actual post.

I copied and pasted a example link at end from one of his reblogged posts:
    Leer más: 369 more words, 2 links »
    Deja un comentario

He does not add any commentary about any of the posts on the pages 15+ pages I checked.

My posts were not typical examples. One of my posts was very brief so the whole post was there. The other one was a 800 word post with a huge chart holding most of the text, perhaps it was used since it was read as one piece?

• The topic ‘Is rebogging appropriate?’ is closed to new replies.