Incoming Links Glitch?

• Author

fracas

I’ve run a search before adding this, but don’t seem to be getting any recent results for the term ‘incoming links’. If there’s a discussion I didn’t find, I’m happy to be pointed to it.

Here’s the thing.

I’ve noticed oddities under the ‘Incoming Links’ section. We used to get the list of our trackbacks… as in when someone deliberately links to us in a post… quite handy to then know to go see why. Lately though, my incoming links seem to list oodles of blogs out there who simply have me on their blogroll. So I click because their newest post showed up on the incoming links list, and then get there to see that they’ve not linked to me for any special reason in the post… but that I’m on their blogroll. This is frustrating if you’re on lots of blogrolls, because all of those people post, it shows up in my incoming links and misleads me into thinking I need to check it out.

I know those incoming links come to us via google… so is this happening to all wordpress users, or just me? Is it a glitch or is it something google (or wordpress) has changed and will stay this way. I find it incredibly frustrating. It’s not that I don’t appreciate all the people who blogroll me, but I honestly can’t check all of their blogs every day or I’d not be able to post anything of my own.

Any input/ideas/info would be appreciated!

Thanks!

vivianpaige

It has been discussed. It’s happening to all of us. Blame it on Google.

fracas

Ok… I’ve been away, had surgery, and come back to find this horribly frustrating. I’ve also noticed other issues with google. My blog, for probably close to 2 years, has always come up on the first page when the word “fracas” was searched. Now, suddenly, I find that it’s intermittantly disappearing altogether. Some days, I’ll plug in ‘fracas’ and I won’t even find myself on the tenth page. I’ve been looking for info to help with that, and haven’t found any so far.

I suspected google was the fault for all of this, but sure would like more to go on. *sigh*

zythophile

“Blame it on Google” isn’t good enough. It wasn’t happening until a short time ago, it IS happening now, it makes it impossible to tell the difference between someone who has made a genuine link to your blog and someone who just has your blog on their blogroll without having to click through to their blog, some people who have me on their blogroll may post three or four times a day and thus appear in “incoming links” three or four times a day. Can either Google or WordPress please fix it, thank you …

vivianpaige

Actually, it has to be good enough since that information comes from Google and they are the ones who have the problem. Take it up with them.

justjennifer

If you use the incoming links in an RSS widget (*kof) then try ice rocket or another service that offers an RSS feed.

This is happening to me, too, and it’s extremely frustrating. I can no longer tell who’s actually linking to me, because those links don’t come up anymore. I *think* what is happening is the “Incoming Links” is now something akin to “Blogs that referred people here”.

How DO we take this up with Google? Why wouldn’t WordPress contact Google themselves, since this is obviously a problem and not how the widget (or whatever it’s called) should be working?

justjennifer

@trishbrowning-This isn’t the first time that the incoming links in the Dashboard have gone haywire. For whatever reason, Google and WordPress.com seem to have a love/hate relationship. As frustrating as it may be, there’s nothing the support forum volunteers can do about it. If it’s really important to you, the only thing I can suggest is write the Powers that Be via the Support Link in your Dashboard.

I believe it is not from their blogroll that is causing the problem, but the related links that now show at the bottom of our posts. I have noticed that all that have me linked I am in both or only the related posts links. Is there a way to turn that off? The incoming from related blogs?

lizii

Dashboard -> Design -> Extras. Check “Hide related links on this blog, which means this blog won’t show up on other blogs or get traffic that way”

It isn’t just the “Related links.” That does show an incoming link, but this problem is also happening when the incoming link isn’t a wordpress blog.

It *is* really annoying. It used to be really nice to be able to see who was linking to you, and why. The “incoming links” table is pretty much useless now.

I have had the same problem as the OP for the past several weeks.

The Incoming Links section is a dog’s breakfast of URL’s, HTML, links to comments I’ve made, links to blogs where I’m on the blogroll…. anything but a link to my blog another site has posted in a real post, which was what I thought it was suppposed to list.

fracas

I’ve talked to a friend who is 100% emplioyed (and by that I mean with a good living, not just barely surviving on canned lunch meat and toast) as a tech geek, creating and maintaining websites for some pretty reputable companies. The response about what this problem might be… was that when WordPress set up the parameters for what that feature would pull from, they may have accidentally neglected to *not* pull feed from ‘blogroll’ as a parameter for where the links are coming from. This was obviously how it was originally set up… and the suggestion was that perhaps there was some other issue that needed tending to and the change happened accidentally, and just hasn’t been caught yet.

Now I’m no tech… and so that’s my best explanation of the explanation I got… which I tried very hard to understand. LOL.

I have a self-hosted blog also, and because using WordPress.org means that stats are pulled through a WordPress plugin, drawing from our WordPress.com API key, the same thing is happening with (WordPress) stats on my self-hosted blog. I do have stats available to me via my host though…

It would be nice if this problem was resolved… since as others have noted as well, it renders the whole feature absolutely useless to us and I’m sure that’s not what the WordPress folks would wish for.

hymes

Has anyone contacted Support about this? If so did you get a response?

adminadmin9

I’ve contacted support but not heard back yet…

for a while it was an off and on thing and then after a while it became all the time…

which hopefully suggests it is fixable…and soon.

raincoaster

Many people have contacted support. IT may or may not be the blogroll issue. I, too, have several independent blogs, some of them WordPress, some not, and some using the WP stats program, some not. The same thing is happening in ALL the WordPress blogs, no matter what stats program they are running. It is not happening on the others. And in terms of incoming links, they’re coming from all different kinds of blogs: there are a few points of commonality, one being they all seem to have blogrolls.

adminadmin9

I just got a non answer from support:

<Noted! I’ll pass it on.
    Hanni

WordPress.com Support</i>

that suggests she’s never heard of the problem but I rather doubt that!!

fracas

I didn’t contact support because I gathered I was late to this topic since the first reply to my question said there had been a conversation earlier (while I was away). I thought it would be best to let them use their time fixing the problem (as well as the many others always on the go) rather than reply to the same concern from repeated bloggers.

@rain – I agree, the common thread seems to be the blogroll thing, which is why I posted the ‘advice’ I got from outside.

raincoaster

Hanni just expresses herself like that. Assuming she’d never heard of it isn’t necessarily accurate. Trust me, staff knows.

As for me, I think I know what’s going on but frankly as I think it’s working FOR all of us, I’m not going to put it out here so Google or WP can nullify it.

justjennifer

And this incoming links/Google Blogsearch problem is even filtering into my twitter stream, though the people there are on ORG and not COM.

The topic ‘Incoming Links Glitch?’ is closed to new replies.