Image Thubnails wont link to fullsize images in post

• Hi all,
    We cannot for the life of us figure out how to troubleshoot the problem we are having with our post. On our recent post when we upload images via the Media Uploader (or directly through the picture link) they show up on our blog as thumbnails, but when we click the thumbnails the full size images do not appear. Instead we are redirected to a page which states:
    “Not Found – Apologies, but the page you requested could not be found. Perhaps searching will help.”

Here is the link to our most recent post with the thumbnails that do not link to the larger image:
    http://mattandsasha.wordpress.com/2010/06/07/the-spectacular-unknown/

If you click on the first picture there it will take you to the following address where the aforementioned “Not Found” page is located.
    http://mattandsasha.wordpress.com/?attachment_id=135

Please help us! I have been reading through the support articles for an hour, have deleted and re-uploaded the pictures but nothing seems to work!

Thanks for your help!
    Matt and Sasha

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• When you insert the image, you have to make sure and click the “file URL” button. That will link the thumbnail to the full-sized image you uploaded.

• To correct images already inserted in your posts, cick on them in the visual editor, click the mountain icon that shows up, click “Link to Image”, click Update; click Update Post when you’re done with all the images.

• Hi guys and thanks for your responses,

I have tried what you suggested, but it it still doesn’t seem to work. After sleuthing around a bit more I have realized that the images that are not linking are attached to ‘drafts’ while the images that link are attached to published posts. I am a little confused about why this is happening seeing as all drafts have been posted.

To be more exact… the images are attached to ‘auto drafts.’ Is there any way to change the attachments once an image has already been uploaded?

Any

• You’re welcome. I don’t know what you did in the meantime, but now all the images on that post link to attachment pages with a larger version of the image (if that’s what you wanted) – no 404s.

• Hi again,

So here was the fix i was finally able to troubleshoot. For some reason the images that were not working were attached to “Auto Drafts” while the images that were working were attached to the actual post.

What I ended up doing was going into the media library, clicking on the ‘Auto Draft’ associated with the image and then deleting it permanently. Then those images attached to the ‘Auto Draft’ became unattached and I was able to reassign them to the post where the thumbnails were housed. After that it all seemed to work.

Thanks for taking the time to help out!
    Matt

• You’re welcome and thanks for reporting this.

Two notes:

a) Your original question was how to make your thumbnails link to the fullsize images; the answer to that question is thesacredpath’s and mine combined. Attachment pages display a larger version of your thumbnails; if the uploaded image is wider than the maximum for the theme you’re using, then the version on the att. page is still downsized.

b) The images you’ve been uploading are too large (w. 2816, res. 180, size 2MB): you’re simply wasting your storage space. For future posts, you’d better make copies of your original photos, use an image editing application or an online image editor to change their resolution to 72dpi and their width to 900px (maximum that fits in your att. pages), and upload those copies.

• The topic ‘Image Thubnails wont link to fullsize images in post’ is closed to new replies.