illegal use of blog by Google Translator/embedded advertisement

• Has this happened to any one else? How do I prevent it from happening again besides sending cease and desist demands to Google Translator and the advertiser?

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Yes, but not all. Spam that contains a malicious code, malware and viruses is removed and will not be found in our dashboard spam queque.
    see: https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/akismet-issues?replies=15#post-436802
    http://en.support.wordpress.com/unwanted-comments/

• Timethief,

I appreciate your quick response. Unfortunately, I’m not that tech savvy and don’t understand how the link you gave me relates to this issue, which doesn’t originate in Spam. I saw a Google Translator link under referrers on my site stat page. The link took me to a Danish? translation of one of my copyrighted blogs including text and photos. In additon, an advertisement video had been embedded at the bottom of the blog.

Is there a way to delete/prevent that from within WordPress?

Thanks!
    -Jillian

• Not if the site which stole your content is not hosted on WordPress.com.

Follow the suggestions at http://stolen.wordpress.com

• Raincoaster,

Thanks for the links to cease and desist forms.

-Jillian

• I’ve researched this issue more and tracked the video ads to WP. I will be opening a new topic about that issue. You may close this one.

• I wonder if this could be what you are seeing.

WordPress.com started running ads on blogs here in 2006. From the support document on advertising:

Note: To support the service (and keep free features free), we sometimes run advertisements. We try hard to only run them in limited places. If you would like to completely eliminate ads from appearing on your blog, we offer the No-Ads Upgrade.

From the Terms of Service:

10. Advertisements. Automattic reserves the right to display advertisements on your blog unless you have purchased an Ad-free Upgrade or a VIP Services account.

• Thank you for responding. I recently became aware of the WP advertising policy, but I believe it does not accurately describe what I’m experiencing on my blog. I’ll be clarifying my issues in a new topic post soon, since my concerns are with WP.

I think this topic thread should be closed.

-Jillian

• You’re the only one who can mark it Resolved, if indeed it is resolved.

• I saw a Google Translator link under referrers on my site stat page. The link took me to a Danish? translation of one of my copyrighted blogs including text and photos. In additon, an advertisement video had been embedded at the bottom of the blog.

Can you please leave the “Google Translation” link here so we can see it…

I’m not sure where you see a copyright violation taking place… your piece was translated into another language by Google. If I find a WP blog through Google that is in French, there will be an English translation option given to me. If I use the translation option neither I nor Google are violating your copyright.

The Google translator link would simply take you to the Danish-language translation of your blog. It would still be your blog, just in a different language.

If you don’t want ads appearing on your blog, in any language, WordPress offers a ‘no ads’ package.

• And Google, of course, has ads on its search result pages.

• Feartheseeds and raincoaster, thanks for the information. The ads I saw on Google Translate are actually WP ads embedded on my site. Macmanx has removed the most offensive of these ads. See “Inappropriate and Unrelated Video Ads” thread for details.

Feartheseeds, if you still wish to see the Google Translator link, please email me at the contact address on my site.

I am closing this thread.

-Jillian

• The topic ‘illegal use of blog by Google Translator/embedded advertisement’ is closed to new replies.