I want to have my payment refunded and close the account.

• Author

gibsonforme

I thought that I had closed this account more than a year ago, and I was just charged $517 for a website that is inactive. Please refund my payment and close the account.

The site I need help with is gibson2020dotcom.wpcomstaging.com. It is not hosted by WordPress.com, but it is connected with Jetpack.

csonnek
    Staff

Your WordPress.com Business Plan and domain registration for gibson2020.com was renewed since auto-renew was enabled on the plan.

Typically, you can cancel and refund these via https://wordpress.com/me/purchases in accordance with our refund policy https://wordpress.com/support/manage-purchases/#refund-policy

However, instead you initiated a chargeback dispute with your credit card provider: https://wordpress.com/support/payment/chargebacks/

We can still issue a refund for this (minus the $18 domain registration since that’s outside the 96 hour refund window), but not while the chargeback dispute is active. Once you have canceled that dispute with your credit card provider, we’ll be happy to issue a refund.

gibsonforme

I haven’t used this page in over a year, and it doesn’t exist on the internet anymore. I thought I had cancelled it. It was associated with an email account that I haven’t opened in more than a year, so I have not received any notifications. I had no idea this still existed, much less that it was going to charge my debit card more than $500! This almost took out my entire savings account, and I cancelled my debit card for fraud.

Please close my account and issue a full refund. I don’t know how to do that since the debit card was cancelled. I will never use your services again.

gibsonforme

Also, the full two years hadn’t even gone by, I initially paid in June 2019 and this charged me on May 2021. This type of auto-renewal after multiple years should be illegal.

gibsonforme

What is a phone number I can call to talk to an actual person? The information you provided my bank hangs up on me when I tried calling.

csonnek
    Staff

We’re prevented from processing a refund due to that chargeback, so there’s nothing we can do on our end unless that has been cancelled.

When a chargeback occurs, the payment is placed on hold while the dispute is mediated. This is why we can’t process a refund even if we wanted to – we’re blocked from doing anything.

The dispute mediation process can take up to 80 days to complete, at the end of which any resulting refund would be issued by the issuing bank or payment provider. WordPress.com cannot issue a refund while a dispute is active.

You can reach out to your bank for guidance – they may accept a payment refund if they close the fraud investigation even if the original debit card has been invalidated. Otherwise, you’ll need to wait for them to go through this process in order to get this resolved.

I hope that clarifies things.

gibsonforme

My primary email address is (redacted). It wouldn’t let me update that in my account. Please contact me there.

csonnek
    Staff

What is a phone number I can call to talk to an actual person? The information you provided my bank hangs up on me when I tried calling.

We do not offer phone support. If you want to move this to email, enter the charge details at https://wpchrg.wordpress.com/ we should be able to help you with this.

The transaction ID needed will be on your bank statement as WordPress followed by a letter/number code. They’ll look like this:

WordPress XXXXXXXXXX

Thanks.

gibsonforme

We asked our bank to cancel the dispute yesterday. Can you confirm that the dispute is no longer active? We would like to proceed with cancellation and refund.

kokkieh
    Staff

The dispute still shows as active on our end – unfortunately this doesn’t happen instantly, so right now we’ll need to wait for your bank to inform our payments processor, and once they update the status on their end and release the funds, we’ll be able to refund you.

Right now the payment is still frozen by our payments processor, and we don’t have any access to the money to issue a refund yet.

gibsonforme

Can you check to see if the dispute has been removed?

kokkieh
    Staff

It’s still showing under review on our end – it can take a while for this process to run its course, even when you cancel the dispute, but I’ll ask our billing team to double check on this.

kokkieh
    Staff

I’ve heard back form our billing support team. They’ve confirmed the transaction is still being held, but we’ll continue to check on this and will refund it as soon as we’re given the option.

gibsonforme

I canceled the debit card because I thought this charge was fraudulent, so what additional information will be needed on your end to process the refund?

kokkieh
    Staff

We are waiting for our payment processor to complete the investigation on their end. Sometimes this happens immediately when you cancel the dispute at your bank, but sometimes it doesn’t. It depends on where in the process the investigation is at that point.

There is nothing either you or us can do to speed this up – when you first reported the transaction as fraudulent that started a legal process, and that process will need to run its course before we’ll be able to issue a refund.

As soon as we do receive the all clear from our payments processor, we will process your refund.

gibsonforme

Its been another week. Can you check with your processor?

Since I cancelled the debit card, what information will you need from me to process the refund?

Thanks

kokkieh
    Staff

We are still waiting on our payment processor. Once they resolve the dispute on their end, we’ll process your refund. There is no need for you to keep checking on this :)

As I said above, we don’t require any further information from you. All we can do at this point is wait for the process to run its course.

gibsonforme

It has been a full month since our bank cancelled the dispute. So the normal process is for your payment processor to take more than a month? This seems insane. With so many transactions happening instantly these days, it is outrageous that this process takes longer than a bank processing a hand-written check. You seem to have missed the fact that we had no idea that over $500 was going to be withdrawn from our account, and that we actually NEED those funds to pay for things like like food and housing.

Please check with your payment processor, and give me a date for when I can expect these funds to be returned to my account. Will they be paying me interest on the funds they have withheld over the last month?
    Thank you.

csonnek
    Staff

Please check with your payment processor, and give me a date for when I can expect these funds to be returned to my account.

The payment dispute process requires that our payment processor give your bank a specified period of time to respond. It looks like your bank hasn’t yet responded, so our processor is giving them until August 4th before making a decision on this dispute.

As you cancelled your card and filed the dispute, your bank may be taking extra time to investigate this. You might want to reach out to them to see where the delay is and inquire if they can speed up that process. There’s nothing we nor our payment processor can do on our end to make your bank respond more quickly.

I hope that clarifies things.

gibsonforme

I just called and talked with our bank again. They confirmed that they have closed the dispute (a month ago) and even called their payment processor to confirm that they didn’t have any outstanding requests or need more information. This has been 100% closed on our end for weeks now.

You and your payment processor need to figure out what went wrong on your end and send me the $507 you took from me. This is entirely between you and your payment processor at this point, and has been for weeks. I find it hard to believe that WordPress doesn’t have $507 available to make a refund to a customer instantly.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.