I need the classic editor!!

• Author

I’ve been using WP for 8 years now and stayed with the classic editor even when you first introduced Guttenberg. Now I’m creating a new blog and I’m losing it trying to figure out this block system (which I do NOT like) for posting. How can I put the new blog into classic editor? I have a free WP site so no plug-ins for me. HELP!

supernovia
    Staff

Hi, no worries. We can switch you to Classic for now.

Can you also provide feedback about what’s going wrong in the new editor? That way, hopefully by the time Classic is fully retired, we’ll have those things ironed out for you.

andreagerak

Same here, please!

When I want to write a new blog post or edit an old one, it is automatically in block editor.
    The little pop-up window asks me: “Are you ready to change to block editor?
    I click “cancel” – which should mean that NO, I do NOT want it – but that’s what I get anyway.

Where do I change back to the classic editor?

This is a problem with my newer blogs, one is http://andreagerak.home.blog

kokkieh
    Staff

@andreagerak,

Your site is currently set to use the block editor, so it will be enabled by default for new posts, and for old posts that were created in the classic editor, it will prompt you to convert that content into blocks.

I have set that site to the classic editor for you now.

andreagerak

Wonderful, thank you very much!

dctrmaxx

Same for me, please. Block does NOT work for teaching seniors.

https://singlepayeramerica.wordpress.com/

Morning dctrmaxx –

I’ve made the change so that your site is now using the classic editor again. You may need to sign out and back in to see the change. Write back if any other help is needed.

dctrmaxx

Thank you so much! I’m teaching some senior citizen friends of mine how to WordPress, this is really helpful because everything is more “outlined” and “un-hidden.”

You’ve made life better…after some time, I’ll see if I can transfer the principles to the block. Thank you!

You’re very welcome, it’s no trouble at all! The block editor is still a work in progress and once everything is ironed out it will visually be easier for folks to put what they want on the page/post.

mysonosboer

I have to agree that I absolutely HATE the new editor. I too am starting a new blog with a new account so I can introduce students to online publishing, and I hate the blocks. I also want to be able to use all of my options in the classic tool bar. This new editor is the most convoluted mess I’ve ever tried using. Is there a way for me to go to the classic editor with this new account?

Please don’t ever get rid of the classic editor. That is what drew me to WordPress, and the changes are not good.

supernovia
    Staff

Please don’t ever get rid of the classic editor. That is what drew me to WordPress, and the changes are not good.

Thanks for that feedback. I can’t promise we’ll maintain both editors indefinitely, but we can certainly try to make the experience of the new one feel as comfortable as the old one.

Would you be willing to share what in particular is bothering you about the new editor, so we can share some actionable feedback with its developers?

I adore love cherish really really really like the classic editor. Everything is right there where I can see it all at once instead of open this block, now open that block, now try and figure out why the blocks aren’t playing nicely with each other.

Please don’t get rid of the classic editor.

macmanx
    Staff

We don’t plan to currently, we do recommend the new editor though, and we have some extensive documentation available at https://en.support.wordpress.com/wordpress-editor/

Oh why I don’t like the block editor? It’s too segmented and difficult to navigate. I tried it initially (and btw a thousand thanks for switching me back) and it was just too awkward. It did not flow organically.

With the classic editor (which I felt was like dealing somewhat with Word) everything I needed or thought about needing was right there in front of me without having to open another box and then trying to figure out how to go back to what I was doing.

And OMG! Trying to insert images (I’m a photographer) was a chore and it was horrific if I wanted to go back and re-arrange the images or take one out and replace it. Guttenberg is just too clumsy!

ganziani

Can I please get the classic editor? the other one doesn’t work for my assignments.

macmanx
    Staff

To restore the Classic Editor, follow the steps under “Will I still be able to use the old editor?” at https://en.support.wordpress.com/wordpress-editor/#frequently-asked-questions

We do recommend the new editor though, and we have some extensive documentation available at https://en.support.wordpress.com/wordpress-editor/

pmaparts

Staff asked for feedback on concerns with the new editor. Here are a few items:

• The new editor is missing the ability to choose a past blog post from a drop-down list for linking purposes (which you can do in the classic editor).
    • The new editor automatically adds formatting that I do not want.

Something that does not appear in either editor – that would be useful – would be an automatic request for a title in the link creator (analogous to the classic editor option to check a box in order to add a <target=”_blank”> clause to the link).

The topic ‘I need the classic editor!!’ is closed to new replies.