I need some help finding a theme to do this

• Author

timrabbit

I don’t know how to search for a theme for these particular attributes:

1. I want to have multiple categories
    2. I have a row of images which are my menu, that I want on top of each page, each image will link to a category page.
    3. I may put a traditional horizontal menu under the images, or I may add the words to the bottom of the images.
    4. On each category page one of the images might be brighter or something to indicate that is the chosen page.

When I try to look through themes I’m kind of overwhelmed and can’t figure how to filter for this. I’m new to WordPress but I’ve been a mainframe technical support person for years, including building simple web pages to run on my mainframe. Comfortable with some HTML and pretty good at reading and understanding documentation to learn new things. I’m just having a time getting over this one hurdle. If someone can point me to a theme, or to where to get help for this, I’d appreciate it.

The blog I need help with is rabbitsdendotcom.wordpress.com.

kokkieh
    Staff

Hi there,

1. I want to have multiple categories

This is not dependent on the theme. Categories are a feature of the WordPress software, and you can add multiple categories to any WordPress site, regardless of the theme you’re using.

A theme only controls the appearance of a site, not how the site works.

2. I have a row of images which are my menu, that I want on top of each page, each image will link to a category page.

No theme on WordPress.com does this. In fact, I don’t know of any WordPress theme at all that uses pictures for the site menu. To have your site menu display as images, you’d need to use CSS code (requires our Premium Plan), or a plugin (requires our Business Plan), to replace the text labels for menu items with images.

Your other option is to instead add the images directly to a page, either using a combination of the layout grid and image blocks, or using an image gallery. If you want to link the images to category pages you’d need to use the Coblocks Mosaic or Coblocks Masonry gallery blocks, if you go the image gallery route.

https://en.support.wordpress.com/wordpress-editor/blocks/layout-grid-block/

https://en.support.wordpress.com/wordpress-editor/blocks/image-block/

https://en.support.wordpress.com/wordpress-editor/blocks/coblocks/#co-blocks-galleries-four-blocks

3. I may put a traditional horizontal menu under the images, or I may add the words to the bottom of the images.

See above.

Without using a plugin or custom CSS, the regular site menu will always appear at the top, as you’d only be able to add images to the post content itself.

4. On each category page one of the images might be brighter or something to indicate that is the chosen page.

Most themes indicate in the menu what page you’re currently on, but they do it by bolding or changing the color of the menu text.

I don’t think it will be possible to achieve something similar with images if you use custom CSS code to insert them, due to inherent limitations of how custom CSS can be used, so if that’s possible at all, it would require a plugin.

So I’m afraid I cannot point you to specific themes in this case, but I hope the alternatives I suggested above might work for you.

The topic ‘I need some help finding a theme to do this’ is closed to new replies.