Huge and Abrupt Drop in Stats

• Original Post (29/08/2018):

My blog (https://1400g.wordpress.com/), has had consistently high traffic since 2014. To illustrate my page stats read: min 36.078/max 71.406 visits & min 24.752/ max 53.161 unique visitors per month from March 2016 until a few weeks ago. Starting during the week of 30.07-05.08.2018 I have been experiencing an abrupt, huge drop in traffic numbers – which I am at a loss to explain. I was hoping one of the WordPress ‘happiness engineers’ could take a look at my stats and help me understand what is going on and how to fix it?? Or some of you fellow bloggers may have helpful pointers? Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Update (03/09/2018):

I have failed to receive any help from the Greek WordPress forum, so I am reposting here (with today’s update) in hope of getting more help.

I have now done some digging around and think that the issue has something to do with the changes implemented in Google indexing, late July. Google Analytics tells me that my pages are all of a sudden being considered «redirects» and not being indexed at all. So, I am now getting zero search engine traffic while any actual traffic I have been left with is (I guess) from people finding my posts through Twitter, Facebook etc. or those who have bookmarked my page.

I am not particularly encouraged by the total lack of responses here these last few days but I will venture asking again? Do any of you (Happiness Engineers or otherwise) have any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks again, to anyone who takes the time to share his/her feedback.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi –

It’s completely normal for sites to have fluctuations in traffic levels at different times. I do not think there’s anything amiss here. To be thorough, I’ll take a deeper look and get back to you.

• Hello Liz,

As far as I am concerned this is anything but a normal fluctuation in traffic. It is way too big and has happened way too quickly, from one day to the next in fact, to be that.

At the same time my pages have totally stopped showing up in Google Search results – which in itself is weird and probably has something to do with the changes in indexing, which happened during the exact same week as the drop in traffic. Everything considered, this all looks like way too much of a coincidence to me.

Thanks a million for looking into the issue for me. I am not technically inclined and was hoping to get help in solving the issue as soon as possible – especially since I was planning to expand and monetize my site just before this happened.

Thank you in advance for all your time and help. I will be looking forward to your feedback. Best Regards.

• Hi there,

I have already replied to you in the Greek forum:

https://el.forums.wordpress.com/topic/huge-and-abrupt-drop-in-stats/#post-3673

Please follow up there.

Thank you!

• The topic ‘Huge and Abrupt Drop in Stats’ is closed to new replies.