How to take back writings

• Headliner.fm is a service we are making available to our users, and participation is entirely optional.

Thank you for bringing up your concerns. We will definitely keep these in mind for future updates.

Feel free to contact us if you have any other questions.

• Thank you for raising the issue of content ownership on Headliner. It is a fundamental concern we are happy to address.

We agree that the legalese in our TOS can be a bit intimidating and we are updating it. You can see the updates here: https://headliner.fm/exchange/tos.html

Under section 5) User Content, we are adding “You own all your content and you control how it is shared on Headliner”, and we are removing “sell” and “resell”. Because Headliner works with social networks like Facebook and Twitter, our TOS was drafted in sync with their TOS (https://twitter.com/tos, https://www.facebook.com/legal/terms).

Headliner is an opt-in community that strives to be transparent and give members as much control over their experience as possible. Our goal is to help you share your content, not to own it. Because we are a cross-promotion platform, we remind members daily to make sure they let people know that the content is theirs by including their names in their share requests. Many of us on the Headliner team are content creators as well, and we understand personally the need to protect one’s content.

In keeping with our philosophy, we do not host uploads of content (with the exception of avatars, at the community’s request). Instead, we partner with communities like SoundCloud, Vimeo, and WordPress should members wish to link their content to their Headliner profiles (which are private since we do not have public-facing member pages). Linking your content to your Headliner profile has never been required, and it never will be. Additionally, there is never a need to share anything you don’t like, and we encourage our community to be selective and responsive.

In short: It’s your content, and we are here to help you get your content viewed by new people.

Thanks again for reaching out, and opening up the topic for discussion. We will also be sharing this as a public reply. If there’s anything else we can do to help, please let us know.

All the best,

Jorge and everyone at Headliner

• Hi Jorge

Thank you for replying. I’m glad you’ve amended your TOS, although I’m not sure I buy the reason re Twitter and facebook TOS because they arnt that bad (anymore). Yours are much better now you’ve removed selling & reselling but still not great. I don’t think you really need the ‘perpetual’,’make derivative works’, ‘archive, store, cache or otherwise exploit in any manner whatsoever’. I’m not a lawyer, but it kind of sounds really dodgy, like content scrapers, where you cannot delete your content (even Facebook is explicit in allowing you to delete content and what happens if its been shared). The thing I don’t get from reading about your service is why you need to store, cashe etc anything at all? It seems from your website blurb and comments like you are using the original content hosts (such as wordpress, facebook etc) to store to content and acting as a popularity and redistribution service? That may be my misunderstanding but thats how it reads?

Also, you didn’t address the concerns of the user in the forum post here where she shared something from wordpress in your service and no stats were available on that post any longer?

Many thanks
    Suzy

ps: I’ve updated my blog.

• The “derivative” aspect is still problematic, indeed.

• As is the impact on SEO of the original post.

• Not good enough. Keep editing!

• Jorge, the problem is not that the legalese is intimidating. That suggestion is a disingenuous and patronizing.

One problem is that the TOS grants Headliner.fm rights that are overreaching. Another problem is that this 3rd party service is being presented to bloggers in a way that makes it appear to be a function that is being offered by WordPress.com itself (e.g., the link to the TOS on the ‘Promote This Post’ authorize page links to the TOS of WordPress, not Headlinerfm)

• The topic ‘How to take back writings’ is closed to new replies.