How to take back writings

• @captnmike It’s on the ‘My Apps’ page at https://en.wordpress.com/settings/account/ . You get there when hovering over your Gravatar -> Settings in the “big blue bar at the top”. I hope this is what you meant :)

• I hope this is what you meant

I knew you would understand the question :)

Thanks much – I just keep a reader tab open and scan through my subscriptions a few times a day and never do much else with it – so never looked a the drop down with my Gravatar

• Cheers :)

• I got the headliner.fm prompt too. I can see why people think this is endorsed by wordpress.com because it comes up in the wordpress panel when you post a blog (you know, the new panel where you can add any last minute tags but your blog post has already been posted). I actually clicked it, to see what it was. I got sent to the standard worddress authorise 3rdparty page and decided not to proceed until I’d found out a bit more about it – it sounded too good to be true, which apparently it is. Thanks for posting about this in the forums. If they really do take your copyright its really dodgy and most people wont understand what that actually means until it’s too late. WordPress should investigate why this link is being shown to users on posting.

thanks
    Suzy

• @kardotim
    Quoting Suzy:

WordPress should investigate why this link is being shown to users on posting.

SECONDED! It ought not to be appearing at all. Get rid of it.

• Thank you suzy for publicly affirming my grievance. Hope that wordpress would finally investigate on who is the insider who put this “spam” in their posting panel.

• I took a look on both your account and everything is working properly.
    If you still have the issue or if it happens again could you then please send us a screenshot of the page where you’re seeing this? You can upload the screenshot to your blog’s media library.

• @kardotim-It seems pretty clear from suzywalker’s description that this prompt appears in the optional “feedback and progress sidebar” after publishing a new post.

(And that’s probably why none of us longtime members/volunteers would have seen it since we’ve most probably turned that option off. )

• I got it again. This time on my degree blog (last time was on my personal blog). As requested I uploaded a screenshot of it to my media library.

Screen Shot 2013-10-07 at 13.29.19

You see on the left panel, the two buttons, edit post & new post. Under that, “Amplify Your Post” – and a link called “Promote this now”. That link is this headliner.fm auth link. You can see its looks very integrated here.

Thanks for investigating.

• Ahh I see what you mean now. Headliner is a WordPress.com partner and their service helps you to promote content. It’s definitely not spam :)

• Really? This is a WP partner? Its ToS (in tiny print) includes the fact that:
    You grant to HEADLINER the unrestricted, unconditional, unlimited, worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual fully-paid and royalty-free right and license to host, use, copy, distribute, reproduce, disclose, sell, resell, sublicense, display, perform, transmit, publish, broadcast, modify, make derivative works from, retitle, reformat, translate, archive, store, cache or otherwise exploit in any manner whatsoever, all or any portion of your User Content to which you have contributed, for any purpose whatsoever, in any and all formats; on or through any and all media, software, formula or medium now known or hereafter known; and with any technology or devices now known or hereafter developed and to advertise, market and promote same.

• There’s no need to use their service if you don’t agree with their terms of service. You can also choose to use our sharing features instead: http://en.support.wordpress.com/sharing/

• Ahh I see what you mean now. Headliner is a WordPress.com partner and their service helps you to promote content. It’s definitely not spam :)

opinion/Color me flabbergasted. Headliner’s terms of service as landscapelover has quoted (Point 5c: User Content), are nothing short of draconian. I would hope that WordPress.com would pick our partners more carefully.
    /opinion

• I’m also very surprised an disappointed :(

• @kardotim

There’s no need to use their service if you don’t agree with their terms of service.

I do not accept this glib statement from you because though it is true, you and I both know that the advertising is appearing in the get instant feedback nanny, which as justjennifer pointed out is used by new bloggers, who in the main, tend to be clueless about the fine print in ToS and copyright implications.

I am not impressed that WordPress.com would partner with any company that has the ToS clause referred to above by landscapelover at https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/how-to-take-back-writings/page/2?replies=55#post-1466501

• I did a post on it, hopefully it’ll raise some awareness, many people dont read the ToS (or there wouldn’t be so many people uploaded photos to Facebook ;)). No bashing wordpress here, just calling this like it is. There is really no reason for them to have most of those clauses in there other than ignorance or greed, either way, not good for the trusting users of the wordpress and their content!

Beware the ToS Rights Grab of Headliner

thanks.

• Thank you, Kardotim, for admitting that headliner is a partner of wordpress.com. Partnership in what? In making us believe that wordpress.com and headliner.fm is offering free services in blogging? What about the copyrights, is there is also a partnership in it?

I have no intention of getting out of wordpress.com and as gentlemen, let us try rectifying this.

• If it is appearing on the dashboard, it is only natural that people assume the ToS apply to it…and the copyright notice clearly indicates that their terms are in breach of the Wp.com ToS. This is just not acceptable. At all.

• I find it odd that WordPress.COM would pardner with a company that has a TOS that is so different from the total respect of ownership of content that WordPress.COM has and the slime company just seems to steal peoples content –

makes no sense at all to me

• The topic ‘How to take back writings’ is closed to new replies.