How to Remove the admin bar

• Author

sowon
    Original poster

Hello,

I’d like to know how can I remove the admin bar please. I don’t even know if it is possible or not. Thank you.

The blog I need help with is: crows.wordpress.com

timethief

We cannot remove it. The only people who can see it are those who also have wordpress.com blogs and are logged into wordpress.com when they visit your blog.

sowon
    Original poster

Okay I see, thank you very much timethief.

timethief

You’re welcome.

adegivesmas

Ugh… I certainly appreciate the clarification, but not the answer itself.

timethief

Well what can I say? It comes with the territory. If you hire a web host and set up your own wordpress.org install it won’t be there.

@adegivesmas, the admin bar that is at the top of your blog belongs to the person viewing your blog. If I go to your blog, that admin bar is mine. That means you are wanting to hide something of mine. Anyone going to your blog while logged into wordpress.COM is seeing their own admin bar, not yours.

adegivesmas

Well, sorry to say but you’re sadly completely wrong. It’ll be there, because the curious feature is built into 3.1 whether you like it or not; you can’t switch it off globally, the only you can do is filter its output, by including a filter in the theme’s function.php (!) file. And now that I see it’s a completely unmovable feature in WP.com as well, at least I understand why the WP.org devs are so nervous about any discussion about the intrusion in front-end UI on the self-hosted script.

Oh well, time eventually cures all follies; this too shall pass.

@adegivesmas: The answer is wrong if “cannot” means impossible, correct if “cannot” means not allowed. You can easily remove the admin bar if you have the paid CSS upgrade, but WP says that this is grounds for suspension.

@adegivesmas, if I go to your self-hosted blog, I cannot see the admin bar because I cannot log into your blog. Your visitors will never see it. It is there for your convenience, and on a self-hosted wordpress blog, you CAN hide it if you wish on a self-hosted blog easily from your CSS. Just add this to the bottom of your stylesheet.

#wpadminbar {
    display: none;
    }

Not to any wordpress.com users: This is NOT allowed at wordpress.COM

BTW, for self-hosted blogs, you need to inquire over at http://wordpress.ORG/support/ as that is where they are supported. These forums are for blogs hosted here at wordpress.COM, and things here are different.

(And anyway, Rich, that’s not the right selector for wp.com blogs.)

adegivesmas

Thesacredpath, it’s actually removed on all WP-powered sites that I run. And not via display:none because hiding something from sight with CSS is not the same as removing the feature altogether. The only way to really remove it globally for all users on a WP install – i.e. without it being visible in the source code, which it is with your method – is by doing it exactly as I indicated: by filtering its output in the theme’s function file. It’s odd, but it is true.

Either way, that is an issue that at some point the WP.org devs in their infinite wisdom decided to implement, and I trust they’ll rectify that in an upcoming version. I now understand that it’s switched on here on WP.com as well, something I didn’t know. It’s just a curious approach to UI design; that’s all I’m remarking, because there isn’t much else to be said.

@adegivesmas: This is the wp.COM forum. As tsp said, for matters wp.org please head over to the wp.org forum.

First off, I simply cannot see what all the fuss is about, but then I’m not you, and I also cannot see what the fuss is with it being in the markup and just hidden from view.

Meh.

As far as the dev’s removing it, it is highly unlikely to happen. The response has been overwhelmingly positive.

The beauty of the wordpress.ORG software though is that you can do whatever you want to it. So if you wish, you can even rotate the whole thing 87.degrees, 37 minutes, 15.79254810 seconds to the north if you wish.

adegivesmas

The purpose of popping in here actually is related to a feature on wp.com.

Good grief, what an attitude.

The admin bar here has been here since I got here over 4 years ago, and I doubt it is going to go away here, and staff have said, as has been said above, that hiding it can get your blog suspended.

And again, when I go to your blog here on wordpress.COM when I am logged in, the admin bar that shows at the top of your blog is mine, not yours. If you hide it, you are hiding my admin bar, not yours.

adegivesmas

Well. As Panaghiotisadam found it opportune to remind me, I’ll now remind you:

This is the wp.COM forum. As tsp said, for matters wp.org please head over to the wp.org forum.

I’m not here to argue – with you or anyone else – about wp.org dev affairs, or even wp.com policy. Because we’re guests all the same. However, on one issue I take exception: it’s not your admin bar, not when you’re on my site. That is what said wp.org devs stubbornly overlook when they have that thing by default visible on the outside for all registered users (and that’s a cumulative figure in the many millions) with only a per-user deactivation option, and ultimately a “remedy” offered in the form of a theme function file hack or goodness forbid, yet another plugin, which still does exactly the same as the theme function hack. Again, it’s not the concept of the contraption itself, because it’s actually a pretty neat idea to offer controls also on the outside – as long as it’s an option. So it’s the default implementation that deserves flak.

All the more, when apparently there are WP core devs out there that don’t grasp the basic concept of website ownership and patronage. Here, on WP.com, there are many, many millions of registered users that enjoy that feature as part of a free and (traffic-wise) very generous hosting service; on self-hosted sites, it’s nothing less than preposterous hubris to pooh-pooh a website owner’s insistence on being in control of what the outside of his/her site looks like, for the registered users of that site. Just as Automattic is quite sovereign on its own turf to do as it pleases with its own resources.

Seriously, one thing is to disagree on the merits of the thing; as I said, it’s the implementation; not the idea of an admin bar, design issues aside. But to deny in a self-hosted scenario that which is the very same reason we’re held (with darn good reason) to our role as guests here at wp.com is plain incongruous, if not incomprehensible.

Let’s just part in agreement of disagreement there.

timethief

Let’s just part in agreement of disagreement there.

An excellent idea.

The topic ‘How to Remove the admin bar’ is closed to new replies.