How to prevent analytics data from being blocked by ad blockers?

• Author

shggold

Have any of you figured out how to deal with the question in my topic title? Something like 30% of internet users are using ad-blockers now. In addition to blocking ads, which I’m in favor of, they also block information that allows Google analytics from providing you helpful data on the number and type of people coming to your site. That data has helped me improve my blogging to be more effective.

To keep that data coming from people using ad blockers, the WP HEs tell me I have to add script at the server which WordPress.com users can’t access. One solution is going to a self-hosted site whose servers you can access and ad code to. This is less than ideal for a number of reasons including my wanting to focus on blogging rather than becoming better at coding, etc.

Has anyone come up with a solution to this without going to a self-hosted site or by using another analytics package that isn’t blocked? I’ve suggested WP add the script to their server for the benefit of all of us trying to analyze our blog performance, but it does not currently appear to be on their development path.

If you have the same issue and have figured out a solution, please let us all know. If you haven’t and would like to see WP address this issue with a development fix, please respond as well and perhaps there will be enough of us to cause them to come up with a solution.

Thanks,
    Steve

The blog I need help with is intheknowcycling.com.

timethief

Hi there,

Have you tried using live chat support?

All sites with upgraded plans include access to live chat support. https://en.support.wordpress.com/live-chat/ https://wordpress.com/help/contact At times when all operators are busy or unavailable, you’ll be able to get through to private email support.

shggold

Yes. I describe their unsatisfactory solution in my post above. They said it was not something they had looked into before so had to go offline to answer my question. They also encouraged me to reach out to this forum to see if there was a better answer.

timethief

I am sorry I do not have a better answer for you.

When we need Staff help with issues Volunteers cannot resolve like this one we type modlook into the sidebar tags on our forum threads. I did that for you. How do I get a Moderator/Staff reply for my question? https://en.support.wordpress.com/getting-help-in-the-forums/#how-do-i-get-a-moderatorstaff-reply-for-my-question

supernovia
    Staff

Hi @shggold, I read a bit of an article about using server side javascript to obfuscate endpoints. I’m guessing that’s the method you’re referring to. This particular article says “This gap reveals a way to avoid analytics blocking until your web service become well-known enough for some of its URLs appear in ad blocker filters.”

We are a fairly well-known service already. So if WordPress.com were to do something like that, I would guess that ad-blockers would very quickly figure it out and work around it. I’d imagine that just about any manipulation WordPress.com could use to get past people’s privacy efforts would quickly be resisted.

shggold

Supernovia, That’s a great point. So I guess that closes the WP door. Bummer.

FWIW, here are the best two articles I read on how to deal with this issue AFTER you go to a self-hosted server are here and here. Perhaps reading those might spur some other ideas.

Thanks.

supernovia
    Staff

Thanks, that first one is the one I’d skimmed, and the second recommends a similar strategy. I think they would both run into the same issue here. Sorry about that.

shggold

Yep, I’ve exchanged e-mails with the developer of the plugin Adtoniq mentioned in the first one to see if they have a solution. Kind of surprised/disappointed that WP doesn’t have a fix on this. Would think that bloggers knowing how many are reading their blogs would be something they would be all over, especially with the growth of adblockers.

The topic ‘How to prevent analytics data from being blocked by ad blockers?’ is closed to new replies.