How to Embed RSS into a page?

• Author

Hi,
    I am trying to find a way to embed RSS links into a page. I have found several services online that will generate code to do this but when inserted in the page just the code is shown. I have seen there are methods available for people who self host but I cannot find one for a site hosted by WordPress.

Please let me know if this is possible and if it is please let me know how.

Regards,

nick.

The blog I need help with is pathfinderxxxi.com.

Hi there!

There are several types of embed code that we don’t allow on WordPress.com for security reasons, such as iframes and script. It sounds like the codes you’re trying to use probably include one of these disallowed forms of code. You can read more about the code we do and don’t allow here:

http://en.support.wordpress.com/code/

Are you trying to add links to your WordPress.com site to your page? – We have an RSS Links Widget that allows you to do this!

Or embed another site’s RSS feed? – Have you seen our RSS widget? It allows you to add an RSS feed from anywhere to a widget area on your site.

Let me know if I can help further!

Hi,

I am trying to add a few RSS feeds from other locations to a page on my WordPress hosted site. I specifically want these on a page not in a widget in the sidebar.

Would there be any approved method of doing this?

Regards,

Nick.

Just so I can fully understand what you’re trying to do before offering any solutions, are you trying to embed a feed and display the items in that feed? Or are you just trying to add links to other site’s feeds?

Hi,

I am trying to embed several feeds into a page, ideally I would be able to display some of the content of the latest item or 2 from each feed.

I have tried using [rss=”feed url”] but this normally just reports that the feed is down even when it is working.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Nick.

Thanks for the clarification! You’ve almost got the code right. You’ll want to insert the URL without the quotes (” “). Like this:

[rss url=http://en.blog.wordpress.com/feed/]

It looks like this shortcode isn’t mentioned in our RSS feed support docs, so I’ll be adding that shortly. :)

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Hi,

Without the quotes this does work for some of the feeds I wish to display but not all of them. In addition it displays far too many items from each feed, there is supposed to be a count parameter but this does not seem to work.

Would you be able to tell me when the support docs have been updated so that I can follow them? Also is there any other method available to achieve this?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Nick.

Hi Nick!

This shortcode is going to be the only way to embed these RSS feeds into the page like you want.

Can you give me a couple of the feed links that aren’t working? I can take a look at the feeds and see if there’s something different about them.

I’m in the process of figuring out which parameters work with this code and which don’t right now. I should have the new document published by the end of the day today, and I’ll give you a link as soon as I do. :)

Hi Shawna,

I have a couple of feeds that work in RSS readers but not within the [rss url=xxxxx] shortcode.

This one is from an existing external website:-
    [rss url=http://arkadiaforum.com/external.php?do=rss&type=newcontent&sectionid=1&days=120&count=2]

This one I created in Yahoo Pipes, it is a combination of several sites:-
    [rss url=http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.run?_id=e411a354155ff5a9ae9ec0078a401220&_render=rss]

I look forward to hearing from you about these feeds and about the updated documentation.

Regards,

Nick.

Hi Nick!

Sorry for the delay, I just got this published.

http://en.support.wordpress.com/rss-shortcode/

As for your specific feeds, the second one, the Yahoo Pipes one, doesn’t validate, so unfortunately there’s not a lot we can do to fix that.

As for the other one, for arkadiaforum. Our shortcode doesn’t like the “do=rss” part of this code. This URL should work:

http://arkadiaforum.com/external.php?type=newcontent&sectionid=1&days=120&count=2

Our shortcode does not have a way to select how many posts are displayed from the feed. It will automatically show however many posts the owner of the feed has set to automatically display.

Let me know if you have more questions!

Hi Shawna,

Thank you for your help with this, I have not had much time to experiment with it but so far, it mostly works. I have found some feeds that do not respect the show_summary parameter and display the full content instead.

I’m guessing this shortcode is a bit legacy and may not have been revised to cope with newer methods of generating rss, due to its potential usefulness it might be nice to see a revision at some point.

It looks like I will need to do some work externally to reduce the amount of items displayed on each feed, I hope to get a chance over the weekend to have a proper play with this.

Very nice work on the documentation though I think there is a minor error in the first line “You can use easily embed an RSS feed from another site into a post or page using shortcodes.” the word “use” should be removed?

Once again thank you for your help, I do appreciate your work with this matter.

Regards,

Nick.

Hi Nick,

Thanks so much for your patience while I got it all sorted out! I’ll chat with the developers about updating the shortcode. It does look like it’s been a little while since it had some love. :)

And you’re totally right about that first line. I’ll fix that up. Thanks for mentioning it!

The topic ‘How to Embed RSS into a page?’ is closed to new replies.