how to disable 'reblogging'?

• timethief — oh dear, I’m confused. I must have read it today then obviously. It somehow felt a long time ago. I searched the forums yesterday, but I’ve been reading things on here today as well.

• Thesacredpath:

The thing is, tossing out the reblogging feature would not stop content theft. Granted it make it easier for people to grab bits of your stuff,

Well, exactly. I’m not naîve to think it stops it. I just don’t see why wordpress would want to enable it — make it easier. I get your point about sharing — but then this sharing ought to consist of only title, possibly a few lines of text, but never photos, and then the link to the original source.

Timethief: That does seem quite spammy to me. I have reported the blog as spam but I hadn’t seen that description or I would have included it.

markel: The blogs I have seen don’t have ‘a lot’ of reblogged posts, they have practically only reblogged posts. The blogs I have had this issue with were clearly interested in me sending them more traffic rather than the other way around.

Reblogging as a feature is here to stay on WordPress.com and at this time we don’t have any plans to allow blogs to specifically block the reblogging of their content.

Makes me very sad to hear. I think it’s highly unfortunate, but I guess it pleases spammers and those who don’t have any original contributions to make.

• as far as I can tell there is nothing at hello.com (there isn’t even an actual link in the first place) and so it just comes across as weird and not spammy.

Weird stuff usually is spammy, even if it doesn’t immediately appear so. Anyone who’s ever looked at a comment moderation queue knows that. And your standard tumblr-style reblogger who’s just sharing stuff they find interesting is not going to claim to be a ‘global network’ or mention ‘adverts’ on their about page. I’m just saying.

• wank — that is so right, and although I’m no stranger to weird stuff that isn’t spam, after seeing thousands of spam messages, one gets a feeling for their kind of weird style. Hello100blog’s choice of words and the language (computer generated translation?) in general simply stink spam. That’s not a regular blogger who just happens to read lots of blogs out of genuine interest. This has some other purpose — spam, commercial — even though it’s not immediately apparent what it is. The talk about ‘adverts’ and stuff gives an indication. So does this: ‘Creat your own web or blog with us to day’ — they’re offering some kind of service that they want to market, I assume, to owners or (perhaps even more to) readers of ‘genuine’ blogs.

• So what about a blog that is part “original”, part reblogged material? I posted a blog today and within a very short period of time it was reblogged by someone with a site completely unrelated to anything I do. It was shocking to see my own material on someone else’s website. Granted, only part of it is there, although I don’t know if that’s because of a word limit on reblogging or because I use the “more” code (likely the former). It would have been nice had she asked permission. Had she done so, she probably wouldn’t get so many angry responders to her blog. I asked her (as has someone else) to remove my post from her blog. The biggest issue I have is that she views it as Word Press’s fault that she can reblog for allowing it and, therefore, it is not her responsibility to not do it.

I’m not sure what to do here. Should I put a disclaimer at the top of every post that says, “My work may not be reprinted, reposted, or reblogged without my express permission”? That’s not a sarcastic question, by the way. If I put that on every post and someone reblogs, do I then have a stronger argument for why it should be removed?

• @missedee – set your feed to summery (see below) then if someone is using your RSS feed to grab your stuff they will only get some of the Post – see @timethief’s site for her copyright notice – adding a start line like you indicate would make your Posts look real bad – I have seen sites that did something like that for pictures – they put up a new picture with big “image stolen from mysite.com and is used without permission” so that would show up on the slime web site – but that is a bit extreme –

The reality is that anyone can copy and paste on the internet – just make someone work a bit harder to steal things.

Dashboard >> Settings >> Read >> For each article in a feed, show summery

• Thanks. I’m already reaping the “rewards”. I now have a new follower who has a gravatar but no link to a real website, except for digging around his gravatar profile. This individual goes by “writer jobs” and has a blogspot “splog”. I did edit his comment, though. I left the “I like this post” but removed his ad for new writers and his web address. These are the people clicking through to the person’s site who reblogged me. Ironically, I can’t for the life of me figure out how to reblog. I read somewhere that you have to click the “like” button first and then you get another option. But I don’t get any other options. Grrr.

I write for a specific purpose and audience. I post links on twitter and Facebook, and I don’t need new traffic because of people reposting my stuff.

Thanks again for the info, auxclass. I also saw in an earlier comment here how to report abusive reblogging. I’ll keep an eye on this particular site.

• I would have whacked his whole comment, I have a very low tolerance for many things. Another site does feature my Posts – they take the lead picture and the first paragraph or a bit less and it goes on their front page – gets me looked at by 15,000 people or so and generates a nice little bump for a couple of days, they did ask permission and I did meet with them before they picked up my stuff – works fine for me, I am not much for marketing so the arrangement does help.

Good luck

• One of my posts was reblogged by Hello100blog. I posted a complaint comment (on December 6) on their website, but it is still sitting in moderation.

I was of the impression that the ‘Like’ button on the admin bar was used to initiate the Reblog feature. But when I look at the people who liked the post that got reblogged, none of them are from Hello100blog.

I contacted WordPress Staff who responded: “I see that on of our Terms of Service team members answered your question in the Forums:
    https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/not-sure-if-this-is-a-legit-blog?replies=18″.

I responded to the WordPress staff member with a few observations about what I think of blogs that are composed entirely of reblogged material. I asked the staff member to figure out how to remove my post from that site. No answer to that yet.

• So, can I assume there is nothing immoral about reblogging your own stuff to your own blog as a means of updating, as well ass adding content, etc?????

• Also, I now try clicking Like, but i see no reblog button…???

• Resolved–Press this works fine!

• The topic ‘how to disable 'reblogging'?’ is closed to new replies.