How to Delete Account

• So, WordPress.com says they don’t delete accounts which wasn’t much of an issue. I just left my account abandoned and it wasn’t a big deal. Now I have to log in every time I try to leave a comment on a WP.com blog even though I had nothing to do with this account anymore. I don’t want to use this account and I’m being forced to. Is there a way to delete my account that I’m unaware of? I’d like to be able to leave comments on my friends’ blogs using my e-mail address without using this stupid account.

• You did not specify a blog address or reason for posting when you created this topic.

This support forum is for blogs hosted at WordPress.com. If your question is about a self-hosted WordPress blog then you’ll find help at the WordPress.org forums.

If you don’t understand the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org, you may find this information helpful.

If you forgot to include a link to your blog, you can reply and include it below. It’ll help people to answer your question.

This is an automated message.

• Damn good question!!!

• I don’t want to use this account and I’m being forced to. Is there a way to delete my account that I’m unaware of? I’d like to be able to leave comments on my friends’ blogs using my e-mail address without using this stupid account.

No. Username accounts are never deleted. Now, if someone tries to comment with an email address that’s attached to a WordPress.com account, they’ll need to sign into WordPress.com before they can comment.

• Yeah. I’ve got that. Is that the only solution if I don’t want to use my account? Never leave comments on WP.com blogs?

• Let’s run that again and please read it closely.

No. Username accounts are never deleted. Now, if someone tries to comment with an email address that’s attached to a WordPress.com account, they’ll need to sign into WordPress.com before they can comment.

• I can read just fine. I’m just shocked/disgusted that the only way I can not use this account and comment on WP.com blogs is to either make a new e-mail account or just not leave comments.

• The e-mail address registered with your WordPress.com account is your unique identifier. You will notice that when you sign up, wordpress.com does not require any other information. As such, this is how we are able to verify ownership of blogs and accounts; it is very important to remember and update it as necessary.
    http://en.support.wordpress.com/email-address/

Let’s take that a step further. So you have an username account with a particular email address that’s attached to a WordPress.com account and it can be changed > http://en.support.wordpress.com/email-address/

Also bote that WordPress.com bloggers can choose to have a setting that does not require an email address for commenters.

• I’d like to be able to leave my e-mail address when I leave comments. This is ridiculous. I just made an e-mail account simply so I can detach this account from my real one.

If WP is going to force account holders to log in, they need to also create a way to delete accounts.

• If WP is going to force account holders to log in, they need to also create a way to delete accounts.

Amen to that.

• WP is a fascist blog site. Allow to delete… respect privacy.

• Maybe they will change that one day… when someone sues them.

• I think the issue is that Gravatar is involved, and its objective is to ensure that comments cannot be made by someone else claiming to your email address. If you are “(email visible only to moderators and staff)” then the idea is that other people cannot claim to be “(email visible only to moderators and staff)”. This protects the user (no one can comment as if they were you) and the site (wordpress.com and any other that uses Gravatar).

I remember when computers did not require a username or password. You just turn it on, it boots up, and you can just do whatever you want. DOS was like that. My old Apple II and TRS-80 were like that. Now days you must login to computers and prove yourself. For many people this was an annoying transition because it was requiring them to do something they had not needed to do before. But eventually they got used to it. And the feature was eventually essential security as using computers became a commonplace activity.

Comments are frequently being spammed by people just trying to push their website URLs into exposure or game the search engine ranking system. It’s annoying to bloggers because they are getting many useless and meaningless comments. As a result, comment spam detection programs are being used. If your email address gets used for comments that get ranked as spam, you may find that all your real comments get ranked as spam, too. This is one of the reasons having to login to comment is a good idea.

• I believe not being able to delete account is a violation of US privacy laws.

• @bibhas
    Why are you rabbit hopping from thread to thread and posting the same misinformation into each thread? Please stop. See here > http://en.support.wordpress.com/deleting-accounts/

• I don’t like this, either. I don’t use my original free wordpress.com blog anymore, I use a different blog now, a wordpress.org paid blog, and I can’t enter it into the comments unless I want to go create a new email address for myself, even though the SAME email is associated with the new blog, also. So frustrating when my comment leads people to a blog that no longer exists.

• I also have the same problem and intensely dislike what appear to be hard-handed tactics to either force integration of WordPress.com sites, or gain access to Twitter or Facebook information.

I have now gone from having a WordPress.com moth-balled site I may at some point pick back up again, to looking at how to delete it. So thanks for that. I don’t have a problem with any of the above log-in methods being a default, but there has to be an opt-out alternative. I feel I am being represented by an ‘old identity’ which I no longer support, and I’m not going to spend time on it when I have something else that works perfectly well. So I’m now holding off on commenting on various WP.com sites and/or it annoys me every time I do. I would hope that’s not your intent?

And changing e-mail address, altering gravatars? That’s not a solution. That’s a pain.

Ironically, my use-site is a stand-alone WordPress installation. So WordPress, I love you guys — but doesn’t this sound like something’s gone wrong with your company philosophy? St.

• Hi there,

Thanks for voicing your concern everyone. I’ve passed along the suggestion to be able to delete your user account.

In the mean time, the information on this page should be helpful: http://en.support.wordpress.com/deleting-accounts/

Thanks

• @jkudish — actually, my concern is more that I’m having to consider deleting my account in the first place, which I’d assume we’d would both like to avoid if it represents a general reaction. So while it’s a bit off topic, my problem is more that I want the ability to post comments on WordPress.com sites which link back to my standalone WordPress installation, rather than my currently moth-balled, WordPress.com site. Forcing the .com link doesn’t help integration — it merely makes me want to leave. St.

• Actually, you can change that URL by editing the Website field at Users -> Personal Settings in your Dashboard.

This won’t affect comments that have already been left (once left, they can only be edited by the blog’s administrator), but you will see the new link on all future comments.

• The topic ‘How to Delete Account’ is closed to new replies.