how to add authors, not users

• I am using wordpress.com to create a blog for my site and while I am the only administrator on the site, I will have multiple teachers writing blog posts and would like to have each individual teacher to be listed as an author on the posts they write. Can I add author names without adding them as authors or users on the site?

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Can I add author names without adding them as authors or users on the site?

Not really. You could add a byline in the actual text of the post. This won’t impact the author pages or anything like that, but it will give you a way to give them credit for their work.

Is there a reason you are hesitant to just make them authors on the site? If I know what your concern is there I may be able to offer a better solution.

• It’s not that we can’t make them authors on the site, it’s simply a matter of trying to make this as simple for them as possible. If all they have to do is email me the post and I can add it to the site, without me having to train all of our teachers on how to make posts and then telling them when to make posts, its just easier if everything goes through me. I’d like like to find a way for people to know who wrote what they are about to read. If I put a byline at the top of the text box, it shows up in the description on the homepage and I don’t like how that looks. I can try adding it to the bottom but I’m afraid readers won’t see that.

• Thanks for explaining.

Another option would be to create “dummy” accounts for each of the teachers. They wouldn’t have to use them to post the actual articles, but as long as they had “author” accounts connected to your site, you’d be able to post their articles the way you do now, and then just set the correct author before you published the post.

It would be some work to set it up in the beginning, but in the long run should be pretty easy.

If that sounds promising, let me know and we can walk through the required steps.

• This sounds like a great option for me. Please let me know what steps I need to take. I am happy to do some additional work on the front end to make it look like I am envisioning. Thanks.

• Wonderful!

First, create new user account “for” each teacher. It’s best to have them do this step themselves so the accounts to officially belong to them. Here’s the link they need to create the account without creating their own blog.

https://signup.wordpress.com/signup/?user=1

Once they have accounts, you’ll add them as authors to your site, the same way you would if they were going to use the site the traditional way. Here’s the link you need for that:
    https://esksaintsblog.wordpress.com/wp-admin/users.php?page=wpcom-invite-users

That’s the end of the setup steps. Once that’s done the authors can send you the articles by e-mail, and you can add them to the site.

The only thing that will be different is before you publish a post you’ll scroll down the editor page until you see the Author box. It looks like this:

From there, just choose the actual author of the post and you’ll be all set.

Let me know if you run into any problems or have more questions.

• I didn’t get back with you because we’ve been out of school due to weather but your idea sounded good until you wanted each teacher to sign up for their own account. I can’t count on teachers doing this. I need to be able to create the accounts myself if that is the route I have to take. I’m guessing there is no easy solution for this?

Second, is there a way to add the No-Add Upgrade for $30/year without upgrading to the premium package for $99/year? I only have the budget for the $30, not the $90.

• I need to be able to create the accounts myself if that is the route I have to take. I’m guessing there is no easy solution for this?

You can do this step, you’d just need a separate e-mail address for every new account, and verifying them all on your own will get overwhelming. My hope was by greatly reducing the steps for the teachers we’d find some middle ground.

If you registered them for the account and then all they had to do was confirm the account in their e-mail do you think they would do that?

I’ll send you a private e-mail about the no-ads upgrade.

• The topic ‘how to add authors, not users’ is closed to new replies.