How messy is changing theme?

• I’d like to switch from Twenty Ten to Twenty Sixteen. I’m concerned about crating a mess and wishing I hadn’t done it.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there, have you tried previewing your site using Twenty Sixteen in the Customizer? https://en.support.wordpress.com/customizer/

That is probably the best way to get a feel for what will happen when you switch themes. If you like what you are seeing in the Customizer, you can activate the new theme directly in it. You can also make any adjustments to the theme, like widgets or menus, prior to switching themes.

Let us know if you have any other question about this.

• Thanks Jennifer,
    Well, we are both right. I could work through the Customizer but what a mess! It led me to believe through the prompts that my old theme would be mostly transferred over to the new one. Not. I have to rebuild the structure element by element and it’s taken almost 2 hours so far and it’s still not right. Almost wish I could go back to the old one.

• Hello again Bonnie, Nothing in the Customizer goes live until you click the Publish button there, so if you haven’t, then your site should still be using Twenty Ten.

As it looks like you did update to Twenty Sixteen, please let us know what elements you had to rebuild and are having difficulty with.

FWIW Twenty Ten was retired as it is not responsive width theme. Not having a theme that adjusts to screen size can penalize you in search engine returns.

• As I said initially, the prompts led me to believe the basic elements would transfer seamlessly from old theme to new. So I clicked Publish based on that flawed assumption. After several more hours last night, the new theme is rebuilt and I look forward to the additional features.

Thanks for hanging with me here.

• Happy to help. If you run into any other issue with this theme or the Customizer, let us know.

• The topic ‘How messy is changing theme?’ is closed to new replies.