How do you create a drop down list to make a selection from a list?

• How do you create a drop down list to make a selection from a list?

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi Eric,

I see you have added HTML and CSS on your Baseball page, and found that this will not work.

What should happen when a visitor selects an item in the list? What is it you’re trying to achieve with the drop down?

• Thanks for the response! I am trying to create an interactive web page, where a visitor could essentially pick a sports game matchup from three drop down lists on the screen and then it would ultimately take them to a chart/graph that shows each team’s win probability for that matchup from a given set of team ratings. The first list would be: 1. Location (they could choose a. Home/Away, or b. Neutral Site), the next two lists would be a list of teams. 2. Home Team (list of teams to choose from), 3. Away Team (list of teams to choose from). After the web site visitor makes those selections, I want it to take them to a chart/graph that shows the win probability for the two teams they selected if they played each other. I am trying to do this with three sports: baseball, football and basketball.

• Wow that’s quite a complicated thing, sounds like a great idea but unfortunately I can’t see a way to accomplish with a free WordPress.com account, you would need use JavaScript in order to get that kind of logic to work, and that’s not possible with a free WordPress.com account, though you can use JavaScript with a Business plan.

There may be plugins that will allow you to set something like that up though I also think it might be an interesting challenge for a new programmer. If you went with a plugin solution you would also need to upgrade to a Business plan.

For now, with a free WordPress.com account, I think the closest solution would be to have a link for each combination which would take the visitor to a page/post with the graph for that combination. Hope that makes sense.

I don’t know if anyone else around here might have any other suggestions.

• If I upgraded to the Business Plan can you help me with this project? I have all the info set up on a Google Sheets spreadsheet.

• Hi Eric,

I have tagged your post with the modlook tag so a member of the staff here can come and give you an answer to your question.

• This sounds beyond the scope of what WordPress.com support could provide. It sounds like you would be better off working with a WordPress site professional to get things off the ground. A good resource for finding WP pros can be found here: http://jetpack.pro/

• The topic ‘How do you create a drop down list to make a selection from a list?’ is closed to new replies.