Hi, I have a backup of a Posterous blog that I'm trying to import

• Posterous import won’t work. Maybe the tool isn’t working anymore? When I select the XML file, it sends notification of completion immediately, and doesn’t import anything from the folder.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Yup. I have the wordpress_export_1.xml and all my photos/posts in the unzipped backup.

• Oh, I just realized that the xml file probably pulls from some online version that isn’t around anymore. If that’s the case, then is there a way to restore the backup from a zip of everything?

• Ok, so all the post info is in the XML file. It won’t do the images (which makes sense). I’d be happy to just get to posts up there and do the images manually. Any idea why the posts aren’t importing?

• I don’t, but I’ve tagged this for Staff assistance.

Please be patient while they get back to you and don’t bump this thread unless you have new info to share with them.

• I’ve replicated the issue that the xml uploads correctly, the import job send the ‘successful’ email, but no content gets loaded.

The importer is still meant to work (except for media, as you noticed) so I’ve passed the issue onto our developers. I’ll report back here as soon as they have more info. :)

-Alex G.

• We’ve found the issue. :)

When importing from Posterous there are some formatting changes the importer automatically makes to the XML file to make everything work correctly. Your XML file just had a couple quirks to it that when the importer made its formatting changes, it broke the posts.

So the importer thought everything went fine and you got the success email, but nothing really happened. Our developer was able to tweak the XML file, re-run the import and your posts now appear.

The broken image links are still there, but if you still have the export zip file you may still have the image files that you can manually upload theme to your media library, then edit the posts to include the images from WordPress instead of linking to the broken Posterous links.

Best,

-Alex G.

• Wow, amazing support! Quick and awesome. The posts have imported… It was actually for this blog: pocketmustard.wordpress.com.

Since it [pocketmustard] already had content on it, I didn’t want to confuse the issue, so I reproduced the problem on an empty blog.

• Thank You, everyone :)

• You’re very welcome and Welcome to WordPress.com!

• @ffpaladin

The posts have imported… It was actually for this blog: pocketmustard.wordpress.com.
    Since it [pocketmustard] already had content on it, I didn’t want to confuse the issue, so I reproduced the problem on an empty blog.

Makes sense! Sense the posts are in there now, running an export>import from universityofreallife.wordpress.com to pocketmustard.wordpress.com will go smoothly. :)

• The topic ‘Hi, I have a backup of a Posterous blog that I'm trying to import’ is closed to new replies.